Sequel: Life After Death
Status: Sequel, Life After Death, is currently posted!

Accidents Can Happen

Chapter 11

What Zero did next probably would have alarmed me if I hadn't known about it before hand. I wouldn't have saw it if I wasn't expecting it. With unnatural speed, Zero pulled a gun out of his jacket and pulled the trigger. The black gun didn't contain bullets. Instead it had a miniature tranquilizers. Even through they were small they had enough power to put a bear to sleep for a hour. But Remy wouldn't go down without a fight. With the unnatural ability normally displayed by Zero, he easily dodged the small silver capsules. Zero pulled the trigger again. Nothing happened. He pulled it a few more times and still nothing happened.That was where the plan became very abstract. We hadn't discussed a backup plan. The guys felt no need for it.

We all stood there for a second, just staring at each other. I then acted without thinking. I politely tapped Remy on the shoulder. He slowly turned his head around to look at me. Once he did, I pulled my fist back and punched him in the face. I felt something crack and the pain that quickly followed told me that it was my hand that had made the sound. I wasn't sure if my hand was supposed to fill like some had started a fire on it, for I had never punched somebody before. The last fight I was in, I was nine. I had kicked and pulled Stacey Davis' hair because she stole the toy I was playing with. I cradled my hand and cursed loudly.

Zero capitalized on Remy's momentary distraction. He quickly tackled Remy to the ground. They wrestled on the ground until Remy was able to kick Zero off him. Zero flew though the air and into Wade. Both of them crumpled to the ground. Remy quickly got onto his feet. Only now he wasn't empty handed. He held in his hands a long metal staff. Normally the staff wouldn't look much, but with Remy holding it, it looked very intimating. Even more intimating was the new emotion in his eyes. The warmth had been replaced by burning rage.

I figured that he was just as dangerous without the staff than with the staff, so I didn't bother to remove it from his possession. At that moment, I wished I could have melted into the wall and disappeared. Remy never removed his glowing eyes from me as he waited for me to attack him again. But then he became more concerned with the distance between us, or lack of. He was only three feet away. I could have easily reached out and touched him.

I was unprepared for what he did next. He took a quick step towards me and sung the staff around. It would have collided with the back of my knees if I hadn't grabbed it. I tightened my grip on it which caused a sharp pain to expand through my injured hand. But I didn't let go. I tried to pull the staff from Remy's hands but his hold was much stronger than I expected. I then heard an odd sound escape his lips. It sounded like laughter. I looked up at his face. Burning amongst the rage in his eyes was another emotion. Humor. He was laughing at my feeble attempts to disarm him. I then felt the metal staff growing warmer beneath my hands. I looked back down. The staff was glowering a bright reddish color. It continued to grow brighter and warmer.

I took me only half of a second to process what he was doing. I looked back up. A wide smile was now plastered on his face. But this one was different from the ones he had showed earlier in the evening. This one held no warmth in it. It was more like a smile a thief would wear after stealing something very valuable. I quickly let go of the staff and back away. The staff immediately stopped glowing. His next attack caught me off guard. He sung the staff again, only this he aimed lower. It knocked my feet out from under me and I fell to the ground. Remy then started to swing the staff downward. The staff should have hit on the head and knocked me out but it stopped in mid air. I had apparently been able to create a force field between him and me. I had only mange to create one once before. I was 12 and I almost got hit by a car. But it stopped about an inch from me. The driver thought it was his brakes that saved me but he didn't see the small dents that were left on the front of the car.

We both were stunned by my sudden display of power. Remy didn't even see Wade walk up behind him. Wade roughly put one arm around Remy's neck and force his head back. Then in one swift motion, Wade hit him in the chest with the tranquilizer from Zero's gun. Remy's eyes slowly closed as he fell to the ground. "Well, that was fun." Wade said, smiling his usual smile.

"What the hell took you so long!" I asked harshly as Wade helped me up. Zero walked over, still messing with the broken gun.

"Wade had an admirer that wouldn't leave him alone." Zero said bluntly.

"Admirer? That girl was a total stalker!" Wade said, serious. I couldn't help but laugh.