Sequel: Life After Death
Status: Sequel, Life After Death, is currently posted!

Accidents Can Happen

Chapter 20

I rifled through draws, looking for anything that would tell me anything. I tried not to make a mess, but I did so I had to double back around and clean up after myself. I found what I was looking for on top of my father's desk in his office. It was a bill from Granary Cemetery. Most of Granary was full of historic graves, like Paul Revere but there was still plots for sale. I remember going there on a field trip and wondering what kind of school takes children to a graveyard. I couldn't find anything that involved coffins or vaults so that told they didn't have a body. I placed the bill back on the desk and ran back upstairs.

After digging through my disheveled closet for a few minutes I found an old large backpack. I picked clothes up off the floor and placed them inside the bag. Every time I pick something up I would pull something out of my dresser and throw it on the ground. After getting as many clothes in the bag and making sure the floor looked the same, I gathered a few CDs and a book. I began foraging though the objects that were crammed under my bed. When I found what I was looking for, a small metal tin, I pulled the lid off and dumped the contents on the bed. Inside was my savings. Most of the money I got my birthdays, holidays and a lot of odd summer jobs, I had placed in the tin. I kept meaning to start a savings account but I never got around to it. I counted the money silently in my head. Six hundred and forty-three dollars and fifty-six cents. I left the change in the tin but I shoved the bills into my back pocket. After pushing the now empty tin under the bed, I walked out of my room for the last time. After taking one last trip through the house to make sure everything was the way I had found, I walked quickly out the front door, locked it and placed the key back under the mat. Once I was outside I replaced my hat and sunglasses.

The drive from South Boston to Granary Cemetery took 20 minutes. As I drove, rain began to collide with the windshield and it took awhile to figure out how to turn the wiper blades on. When I pulled into the seemly empty graveyard it started to rain harder, but I overlooked it as I parked the car and got out. I wondered around the row's of tombstone's, looking for the newest section. I walked pass my headstones a few times before I noticed it.

The headstone was made of a pale pink granite. It wasn't overly decorated like some of the other headstones. The only thing engraved on the polished rock was my name, birth and death day and an epitaph. The epitaph was only four words, but it fit flawlessly. As I read I felt warm tears start to roll down my cheek. Now Comes the Mystery. That short sentence summed up my entire future. My future was a complete puzzle to me. By law I didn't exist. Everyone believed me to be dead. I wasn't sure how long I stood there, looking at the headstone, feeling empty.

It felt like my entire life was staring back at me from that piece of rock. As the rain start to lighten up a new thought found its way into my head. I was dead. My life buried in this cemetery. Since I didn't exist, I could become anyone I wanted, regardless of what I was. My future was in my hands and mine alone. The thought made me empowered. Wiping the tears from my eyes, I walked back to the car, leaving my past where it should be. Behind me.