Sequel: Life After Death
Status: Sequel, Life After Death, is currently posted!

Accidents Can Happen

Chapter 21

Two Years Later

“Lorna Austin! Stop talking.” Mrs. Seymour yelled with her back to her AP Physics class.

“Sorry.” I muttered quietly as I stared at the green chalk broad, only to turn back around a few seconds later to continue my conversation with Brittney. I now attended Furness High School in Philadelphia. After creating my new identity and forging emancipation documents, I moved there. I lived in a studio apartment in the Old City neighborhood. I worked two jobs and was a senior in high school. I was your typical teenager. On the outside at least.

It was hard at first, to start my new life. I blamed most of it on my limited funds. But after finding a job and an apartment, things fell into place. I liked the school and my fellow classmates. I even managed to make some friends. Life was back to the way it was before I joined the military, with two exceptions. My parents still believed me to be dead and my hair was its natural green. I refused to dye it. Brittney Meyers was my best friend and co-worker. She was a waiter at St. Elmo’s, like me. St. Elmo’s was an upscale restaurant in downtown Philadelphia. After gradation, Brittney and I planned on attending San Francisco State University. I intended on majoring in geophysics. But as most things in my life, things don’t always go as planned.

When the last bell of the day rang, I said my goodbyes to Brittney and I promised to call her later. Little did I know, I would never make the call. As I neared the student parking lot, I got a bad feeling. I pushed it off as a symptom of my paranoia. But when I stepped off the sidewalk and looked up at my car, I realized that it wasn’t my paranoia. Standing by my car were two very familiar faces. Two people I hadn’t seen in over two years. Stryker looked the same as he did back them, only his face looked more annoyed than usual. Zero looked the same too; bored. Zero had two guns holstered to his side, which was probably why kids where giving him anxious looks.

I sighed heavily as I walked up to them. “Do you want your car back?” I asked, sarcastically. I still had Stryker’s black Cadillac.

“No.” Stryker said, un-amused. “You can keep my car.”

“Good, cause I planned on it anyways.” I said casually. “What are you doing here?” I asked in a more serious tone.

“Is there some where more private we could talk?” Stryker asked.

“I’m fine here, thanks.” I said quickly.

“Since when did you come off so assertive?” Zero said in an annoyed voice.

I ignored him. “What do you want?”

“We need your help.” Stryker admitted. “Victor’s gone AWOL.”

“And that involves me how?” I asked sarcastically.

“We believe he’s killing off members of the old team.” Zero said in his usual tone. “He’s already killed Bradley.”

My heart sunk a little on hearing the news. As much as I hated Victor, I wasn’t going to risk the life I had worked so hard to build as a favor to Stryker. “I’m sure you can take care of him without me. Now, if you‘ll excuse me, I have to go to work.”