Sequel: Life After Death
Status: Sequel, Life After Death, is currently posted!

Accidents Can Happen

Chapter 22

"Austin! I need you to cover table 68." My boss yelled at me as I put an order in. Table 68 wasn't in my area but I didn't mention it. My boss's fuse was always much shorter on Friday evenings, so I walked to the table without question. When I saw who was sitting at the table, my fuse quickly dissolved all together. Zero was sitting in a booth, looking casually at his menu. I briskly walked over to him, careful not to run into any other customers.

"What in the hell are you doing here?" I hissed.

"Is that how you greet all your customers?" Zero said, not looking up from his menu. "It's nice to see you can finally walk in high heels now." The black three inch heels I had on was a requirement of the restaurant. The shoes were the only unfavorable thing about the job, but they were quickly over shadowed by the tips that rich people leave after they've consumed a few glasses of wine.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone?" I said in the quiet voice.

"No. I believe you said you had to go to work. There was no 'leave me alone' in there." Zero said casually.

"So what? You're going to stalk me for the rest of my life?"

"Stryker told me not to leave you alone until you agree to help us." Zero said in a annoyed voice. "How's the roasted duck?"

"Disgusting. Why should I help Stryker?"

"Don't think of it as helping Stryker, think of it.....as saving lives. Help us get Victor before he kills Fred or Wraith or someone else. I'll just have a streak, medium done."

"And to drink? If I say 'yes' will it just be Victor? No other bullshit?" I asked slowly.

"Just Victor. And Stryker promises to leave you alone afterwards. Just give me a beer."

I sighed heavily. "Fine. I'll do it. But if Stryker breaks his promise this time, I'm going to kill him. What do I do?"

"When do you get off work?" Zero's voice was more lively now.

"11."

"I'll pick you up at your apartment and take you to see Stryker. And you might want to bring a coat. Better get back to work. Your boss does look too happy right now." Zero said, handing me the menu.

*

Zero knocked on my door at 11:20. We didn't talk as he drove towards the airport. Zero pulled onto a road and drove towards the private hangers. Waiting for us, was a small private plane. As I buckled my seat belt in the comfortable chair, I asked, "Where are we going?"

"Canada." Zero said with a smile on his face.