Sequel: Life After Death
Status: Sequel, Life After Death, is currently posted!

Accidents Can Happen

Chapter 23

I wasn't sure how long the plane was in the air, for I had fallen asleep in the first hour, but when the plane landed dawn was on the horizon. I wrapped my tweed overcoat around me as I walked off the plane. It wasn't cold enough to snow, but it was certainly much colder than Philadelphia. The plane had landed on a seemingly abandon runway. There were cracks in the concrete, which allowed grass to grow. Surrounding the landing strip, was a forest of evergreen trees. Waiting for us was a black car. What is it with these people and black cars?, I thought to myself as I got into the car. Zero dove down the runway and then turned left onto a paved road. After a few minutes, he turned on to a gravel road. About a mile on to the road there was a break in the trees. The road was built on a small cliff that over looked a large lake.

My mind told me where we were at in longitude and latitude but that still didn't tell me much. "Where are we?" I asked as I continued to stare across the lake.

"Alkali Lake." When he saw my blank stare he went on. "Stryker has a base on the lake's edge a few miles down this road." He explained.

"So, why did Victor go all crazy, or crazier than usual, for? Or did he just get bored?" I asked.

"He said he felt that Stryker was holding him back. From what, I don't know. But he started to kill everyone we were sent to capture, so Stryker had him locked up. Victor escaped and now he's out to kill us all." Zero said it as if he was reciting a bed time story.

I didn't respond. Instead I allowed my mind to think about Bradley and how he didn't deserve to die. Even though we had barely spoke to each other, I liked him. My mind them drifted to the others. Were they still alive or was Victor killing one of them right now. If so, which one? John? Fred? Maybe Wade? My stomach twisted at the thought of Wade. Did Logan know that his brother was out killing people? All the questions were washed away when Stryker's new base came into view.

The base looked like a large warehouse. It looked out of place, surrounded by trees. Zero drove the car around to what I presumed was the back. The base was built into the side of the cliff, so I was sure some of it was underground. As he drove we passed helicopters and other military vehicles. He finally parked the car outside a large metal door, that was guarded by two men in uniforms. I recognized one guard as the man that had called me 'ma'am'. Only know his face was no longer soft or kind, it was hard and older looking. And he gave me no innocent smile this time. The other guard opened the door and I followed Zero into the base.

The hallway we were walking down was poorly light. Our foot steps echoed off the walls as Zero lead me though a mess of hallways. I tried to remember my way but everything looked so much alike. A few minutes later, we arrived at a door. Zero opened it and motioned for me to go in. "Stryker's in a meeting right now, so you'll have to wait a few minutes.