Sequel: Life After Death
Status: Sequel, Life After Death, is currently posted!

Accidents Can Happen

Chapter 31

At first, I fell towards the ground with enormous speed, which only seemed to grow as the seconds passed. My hair blew in all direction and my stomach felt as through it was in my throat. The distance between me and the ground was shrinking much faster than what I was prepared for. It took me a few seconds to focus enough to manipulate the magnetic field to allow me to stop falling. I hung suspended three hundred feet in the air for a few seconds before I slowly started to lower myself.

I landed on the roof of the largest building. I scanned the roof. The only structure on the roof was a small storage building and an air duct the size of a large tire. But no door leading off the roof. Through there was a ladder placed on the side, but that didn't help me. I carefully pulled the top off of the air duct and peered inside. The metal shaft was straight for about ten feet before it took a left turn. It was small, but since I was small too, I was sure I could fit. I lowered myself into the shaft, landing with a small bang.

The metal creaked and bent a little as I moved through the air duct. The air inside the shaft was thin and filled with dust particles and small pieces of lint. The more I moved along the more dust that gathered on my hands and knees. I wasn't sure where I was at or where I was going. I just took random turns in hope of reaching a place I could safely get out. As I took a left turn, I saw a vent in the floor of the shaft. Light shown through from the room below and I could hear voices. I slowly crawled my way to the vent and peered down into the room below.

I was looking down on a gray concrete floor. The only thing I could see was what appeared to be a surgery table with a body on it. A plain white blanket covered the body. A person stepped up beside the bed and I was now looking down at William Stryker.

A voice drifted up through the vent, up to me. I couldn't see the speaker, but I recognized Logan's voice. "...But you're the trickster, aren't you? I'm just the fool that got played." The metal beneath me creaked, blocking out part of this sentence. "...but for the last time." I heard footsteps and a door being pushed open. The shaft made another unsettling sound. Stryker walked back out of my view; towards the top of the surgery table. The room went quiet.

I lay there, in the air duct, thinking of what I should do next. Suddenly, a woman's scream filled the air. The sound seemed to vibrate out the metal walls and echo for eternity. I rushed to pull the vent cover off, causing me to fumble with it. When I finally got it off, I poked my head through the opening and peered into the room. My eyes ignored all the unimportant details of the room and focused on the people in the room.

I saw Victor, wearing his usual long black coat, choking a girl. She was lifted about two feet from the ground. My throat seemed to tighten and burn as I looked at the scene. The metal shafted bending and creaking caused me to take my eyes off the violent act in front of me. The metal was bending from my weight. It was obvious to me that the shaft wouldn't hold my weight much longer.

In my attempt to crawl safely and quietly out of the air duct, I ended up falling out, hitting a metal medical tray, and landing loudly on my side. My head bounced quickly off the concrete floor and my vision blurred for a second. The pain in my head was so strong I didn't notice the scalpel hanging from my arm until I saw the blood. I quickly pulled the small knife of my arm which was now covered in blood.

I slowly got to my feet, rubbing the side of my head. There was some blood caked in my hair but I wasn't sure if it was from my arm or head. I started to walk, but after only three steps I had to lean on an empty hospital bed for support. My head felt as through someone was sawing it open with a dull blade. The heard a voice enter my head, but it took a minute comprehend was it was saying. "Nice entrance, Lorna." My brain told me it was Victor's voice but I still wasn't sure. Through my vision was still a little blurry I saw Victor let go of the woman and then Logan pushing him through a glass wall.