Children

Children. 273 words.

Joe and Rhys’ children play together sometimes. They play together and share the most adorably innocent things, such as holding hands and giving each other flowers, and Rhys always smiles sadly, because they’re only six and seven years old and they’re already more in love than he ever has been.

He is seated on the front stairs of his veranda, watching his little girl and Joe’s boy have a water fight. It’s much too cold, being only about 25 degrees, but they insisted and Rhys said if they get sick, he’s going to laugh at them. He’s not a very good parent, sometimes. She’s got the garden hose, the one that Rhys’ wife uses to water the flowers, when it’s not rained for a few days, and he’s got a super soaker that Joe bought him for Christmas the previous year. It’s not really a fair fight, because he has to refill every few minutes, and she sprays his back as he does.

When Joe comes to pick his son up that afternoon, just before dinner, he looks a bit mad towards Rhys, because his child is muddy and wet and entirely too happy, and he’s not going to go to sleep that night, until late. Rhys gave them red icy poles.

And Rhys grins when Joe turns away, because half the reason they were allowed to have a water fight is because Rhys knew Joe would be really annoyed, and Rhys’d get to see emotion towards him from Joe for the first time in ten years. Ten long years.

And Rhys remembers he was in love once. Just like their children are.
♠ ♠ ♠
I kinda like this. x]
Feedback, pleasums.