Status: I'm back baby!

Fly Away With Me

Why does everyone ask that?

“I’m hungry” Blake announces.
He attempts hoist himself up after laying across Zach, Zoe and Holley.
“Finally” Holley sighs as he lifts his head off her.
His feet wriggle aimlessly in the air as he kicks Zach. The whole struggle is useless.
“A little help?” He asks Zoe.
“Sure” she replies smiling sweetly.
With a small push from Zoe Blake tumbles to the ground and lands flat on his bum.
“Ow!” Blake whines while rubbing his sore spot.
The rest of us laugh our heads off as we look at his tangled hair and childish pout.
“That really hurt Zoe” Blake says getting annoyed at us laughing “Could you kiss it better?”
Zoe pretends to consider it then responds.
“Maybe you should ask Zach to”
Blake shakes his head and crosses his arms over his chest while Zach does the same.
“Zach is too rough” Blake says in a serious tone.
How is he able to hold such a straight face? I burst out laughing just like the rest of the group. After all the serious discussions Blake is somehow able to erase the tense feelings from all of us. Just being here has made me so carefree. I have to get out of here, it‘s too dangerous to have my guard down. Just the thought of why I am hiding forces me to check the area.
“What’s wrong?” Zach asks noticing that I am no longer smiling.
“Nothing” I reply after I am comfortable with the area.
“I’m off to find food, losers” Blake announces before striding off.

There was just small chatter between the group after Blake had left. Christian kept sending me glances that seemed to stick the title ‘Power Hungry Moron’ to his forehead. I looked up just as Christian sent another one of those glances my way. Big mistake. His eyes caught mine and I could feel myself being pulled in. It is the worst feeling to be so helpless to another person. Just as I felt my energy start to leave, Christian’s phone rang breaking his concentration. The whole group was silent and looked at Christian.
“It’s Devi” Christian announced with a serious tone.
He answered the phone and no one moved. Who is Devi? Not another terrible surprise. I am really sick of surprises. If my world shifts any more I might just fall off.
“What?” Christian asks astonished after a quiet moment.
Christian holds his steel blue phone close to his ear listening intently. He nods a few times but the person on the other end of the line would have no way of seeing it.
“I don’t know how.” He says.
Then his gaze lands on me and realization flicks to life in his eyes.
“I think I just discovered how, yes, I’ll explain when I call you” Christian says pausing every now and then to listen “Of course you already knew that, talk to you later”
The phone clicks off and Christian slips it back into his pocket.
“Why did she call?” Holley asks the moment the call is disconnected.
“I can’t say” Christian says.
“Why not?” Holley argues.
She doesn’t seem to notice the subtle hints he is giving. He is trying to tell her that I am the reason he won’t explain it.
“What has changed that would make you be so secretive?” Holley continues.
“Holley, I am that change and I am leaving” I say standing up.
Before they could argue I walk away to find Lucien. I searched for five minutes but couldn’t find him. The bell rings before I can find him. There is a disappointed groan from behind me. I turn to find Blake stuffing a massive burger into his mouth. He tries to say something but it is so muffled I can’t understand him. His raised eyebrow and tilted head leads me to believe he is asking a question. As I stared at him confused he repeats the question slowly. Once again I just hear a muffled series of noises from him but this time I saw all of his half-chewed food. I wrinkle my nose in disgust. How did he fit such a massive burger in his mouth? I guess it must just be one massive mouth.
“Yes, isn’t that obvious Blake?” Zoë says from behind me.
I spin around. How can she understand him?
“What on Earth did he say?” I ask as Blake moves away.
His cheeks are so full of food he resembles a squirrel that has just shoved nuts in it’s cheeks.
“He’s my step-brother so I am used to seeing him with something shoved in that gob of his” Zoë explains “We both understand each other well after spending so long together”
“Wow, I would have never guessed” I say as I turn my head to look at Blake walking away still munching.
“Which class have you got next?” Zoë asks.
“Oh, I think I have art” I reply then start to walk towards my locker.
Zoë follows me. I turn to ask why she is following me but the look on my face must have made it obvious because Zoë replies my unspoken question.
“I have art too” She says “Plus my locker is just two across from yours”
How could I have not noticed that? Her hair is a bit hard to miss.

After Zoë and I had gathered our books we walked together to art. I wasn’t sure why I had chosen art to begin with. Why would I want to join this class? Christian passed us on the way and the thought of Devi popped back into my head.
“Zoë, who is Devi?” I ask looking at her from the corner of my eye to gauge her response.
She hesitated for a moment then sent a glance around to check no one was listening.
“I am not allowed to tell you this but I think you deserve to know, Devi is Christian’s godmother” Zoë explains in a hushed tone.
“Then why was it such a big deal that she called?” I ask still confused.
“She can see the future, she is the only person to be able to see the future of her loved ones” Zoë says “She is very powerful, but getting back to the point, she keeps an eye on her family’s future constantly”
I nod urging for Zoë to continue. We are now outside the classroom with a few other students standing around.
“Well the phone call said that Christian suddenly disappeared from her Sight” Zoë whispers.
“What if she just had a lapse in her power?” I ask.
Zoë shakes her head.
“He thinks it was because of your energy”
“My energy?” I repeat slowly.
“Yes, just before she called he had taken your energy which you seem to use to hide yourself” Zoë says but her explanation is cut off by the teacher.
“Good afternoon students” She welcomes “Come up stairs”
The whole class follows the teacher directions. Once we are seated in the classroom the teacher begins to introduce herself and about the lesson she has planned.
“I’m Mrs Porter and this is, of course, my art room”
The rest of the lesson I followed each direction but didn’t give what I was doing any thought. I’m letting myself slip too much. I didn’t even check for the best seat so I could escape. Maybe I need a trip down memory lane to remind myself why I need to be so careful. After school I will go for a fly out to the cemetery then the church. A tear slides down my cheek. Why am I still so affected by the thought of the cemetery? I loved them so much. Before anyone can see, I wipe the tear away.
“What’s wrong?” Zoë asks.
I nearly jump out of my skin. Another slip up, I didn’t hear her approach me.
“I’m fine” I say quickly.
The bell rings. That quick electric ring is becoming so familiar. Before Zoë can argue that I am not fine, I grab my books and leave the room.

My last class is science. Lucien refused to come near me before the lesson. He sat in the chair in front of mine during class. He didn’t even spare me a glance. I rip a page out of my book and write a note to him.

“Lucien,
Please let me explain.”

Once the teacher has turned to face the board I flick the folded note towards him. It lands in the collar of his shirt. He reaches up to grab it without looking at me. After I moment he scribbles a reply down then throws it back. I catch it before it can drop to the floor.

“Don’t bother. Didn’t you want to avoid me anyway?” his reply reads.

It is true. I had been wanting this to happen. Alright, I will ignore him. After I reply to his note. Yes, then that will be the end of it.

“I want to explain. Maybe you don’t want to talk to me at the moment. I understand. Meet me at the usual place tomorrow?”

I throw the note back to him. He reads it then sends one glance back at me. How could I have betrayed such a great guy? It wasn’t such a big deal, was it? All I did was leave him to discuss things with Christian. He is just over reacting. The note lands on my desk again and I grab it quickly.

“I won’t be here for the next week. I’m learning the family trade. My dad insists I have to.”

Family trade? What would his family do? They travel often for his father’s job but what sort of business could they own?

“What family trade?” I write.
He takes the note from his desk and reads. His pen hovers over the note. Why is he taking so long? Suddenly he just rips the note up. Why? What is so bad about his family’s business. I take another piece of paper from my book.

“What is so important you will be missing a week of school?” I write.

I am so intent on the notes I don’t notice the student turn the fans on. Just as I throw the note the wind catches it. The note hits another student in the head. Bradley. The worst student for this note to hit, he has hated me since I have joined this school.
“What the hell?” He yells grabbing the note.
The teacher spins around to face the class.
“What is going on?” The teacher asks.
“Lilly just threw I note at me” Brad announces to the class.
Oh no.
“She did?” The teacher asks astonished.
The rest of the class seem amazed too. Am I really that private? Are they that amazed that I am capable of communicating with others? Brad opens the note and reads for a second.
“It says” He pauses to clear his throat “Brad, I am so deeply in love with you. Why won’t you notice me? I cut your name into my arms because I love you, from Lilly.”
What an ass! Not only did he call me Lilly but he made up such a ridiculous story. Anger builds up in me. I clench my fists and glare daggers at him.
“I’m sorry little Lilly, but I think you are a freak” Brad says enjoying the attention.
The whole class is laughing so hard at me. My must be so red but I’m not embarrassed. This is rage.
“You self centred arrogant idiot!” I yell “No one on earth can stand your presence!”
I’ve completely lost it. Every hateful I have thought about him every time he has teased me or any other student pours out of me.
“You mindless boy! Are you so blind to anything that happens apart from your dick getting smaller or the fact you have to tease others to compensate for it!” My voice hit’s a higher octave.
“That is enough!” The teacher thunders.
Every person in the room falls silent. Brad is nearly in tears from being screamed at. The bell rings. I grab my books and dash out the door. The teacher yells after me. I will pay for this tomorrow but I don’t care. At the moment I don’t care about anything. I want my mum and dad to hug me. I need someone to say they love me and mean it. I even want my brother to annoy me. I miss them so much. Within two minutes I have my bag packed and I am storming towards the front gate. Brad sees me on the way. I glare at him and he shrinks back. My anger is still raging inside me like a forest fire.
“Idiot!” I yell to him and he turns around.
I get close to him and he backs away.
“Was that little stunt worth it?” I ask him viciously “Did it make you feel like you were a man?”
He shakes his head.
“How about you remember that the next time someone has a misfortune?” I demand.
He nods. My tone has become so different. Now it is savage and demanding. Students around us look at me in shock. I glare at them all and a few shrink back.
“You are pathetic” I hiss at Bradley before storming out of the school.

Even the walk home couldn‘t calm me down. I check for anyone following me before I run up to the house. Today I don’t care if I run into Sophia. Hell, let her hear me. I crash through the front door and shuck my shoes.
“Why are you making such a racket?” Sophia yells before emerging from the hall.
“Because I am home!” I yell back “And I am not afraid of you!”
“What?! How dare you speak to me like that?” Sophia screams.
She strides towards me and raises her hand to slap me but I dodge the hit.
“Don’t move you brat! You deserve this!” She yells before raising her hand again.
“No! You deserve this!” I punctuate my sentence by clapping my hand across her cheek.
A red hand print starts to form on her left cheek. She stumbles back clutching her face in shock. I straighten my posture and square my shoulders bringing myself to my full height. Never before have I defied her, let alone touch her. I am taller then her slightly but just enough to make me more intimating. Her face becomes a mask of rage and disgust. I don’t say a word, instead I let my fury be known through my eyes. It seems to work because she takes a sharp intake of breath.
“Don’t ever think I am below you again” I say sternly then grab my shoes and disappear down the hall.

Even before I reach my bedroom door I regret my actions. What have I done? I throw my door open and toss my bag at my bed.
“Ow” I voice complains from my bed.
I freeze. He has found me. My eyes dart to the source of the voice as I back away. Instead of the terrifying beast I was expecting, I find Zach sitting cross legged on my bed. I throw my door shut before Sophia comes in and sees that I have a guest over.
“Why are beating everyone up today?” He asks throwing my bag onto the floor.
“How did you get in?” I hiss checking over my shoulder for the familiar footsteps of Sophia.
“The window, you left it open” Zach replies then points as if I don’t know where my own window is.
I glance at it anyway. Alex slowly crawls through the window and looks at Zach. He inspects the boy for a moment before hissing. Alex jumps over to me and sits in front of me as if to protect me. I love Alex so much. Zach raises his eyebrow.
“You have a guard kitty?” He asks.
Alex hisses at Zach again and I can’t help but laugh.
“What are you doing here?” I ask Zach.
I turn away from him and go over to my closet.
“I heard you picked on a kid at school, apparently you punched him in the jaw then spat on him” Zach answers.
I pause my search for my flying cloths.
“I what?” I ask shocked.
“That’s the story that is going around the school already, you also threw a chair at his head in class” Zach informs me.
“I didn’t harm him, I simply yelled at him” I defend.
“I didn’t think you would lay a hand on him, do you know how hard you are to track down?” Zach asks suddenly.
“No I didn’t but that is good”
I grab my flying cloths. They haven’t been washed since my last flight. I need another set of cloths. An old shirt will do.
“Why would that be good,?” Zach asks then continues “anyway I came to tell you a message from Christian”
I listen while I grab an old shirt from my closet then go to my desk search for a pair of scissors.
“He wants to apologise for driving you away at lunch, it was just a private matter that needed to be discussed and had nothing to do with you”
That is a terrible lie. That whole phone call was about the effect of my energy on Christian.
“He didn’t drive me away” I say instead of arguing “Now can you leave?”
“What’s the rush?”
I ignore him as I cut holes in the back of the shirt for my wings. My wings ache after the whole day of bei8ng crushed against my back. I wonder how strong they are. Are you suppose to fly with a recently dislocated wing?
“What are the weather conditions for tonight?” I ask.
“It should be a calm night, why?”
“Are you suppose to fly with a recently dislocated wing?” I ask.
“What? Slow down. You are going out for a fly?” Zach asks “How in God’s name did you dislocate your wing? For that matter, how did you get it fixed?”
“Of course I am going out for a fly” I reply.
I walk off into the bathroom and get changed into some tight jeans and the old shirt. Once I return to my room Zach is still there.
“Shouldn’t you go and report back to your master?” I ask
“No, I don’t have a master and I am joining you tonight” He tells me seriously.
“Wrong! You follow Christian like the sun shines out of his ass and you are not coming with me” I pause for a moment then smile “It is a private discussion”
Let’s see how he likes having that line fed to him. He doesn’t say a word. Instead he takes off his jacket and throws it on my bed then he takes his shirt off.
“What are you doing?” I ask horrified that he would just start to strip in front of me.
His chest is flat and there is a faint outline of a possible six-pack. A glorious sight but I keep my eyes on his face.
“I don’t want to ruin my jacket or shirt” He explains.
Without further explanation he jumps out of my window and I follow him. His wings open from his back. They are tan. Unlike my wings, his look like they are made of leather. I let my wings unfold from my back. His eyes widen slightly.
“You have feathers?” He asks shocked.
“What else would I have?” I respond.
I feel so defensive about my wings. What if I’m freak even among others like me? My wings are good, right?
“Can I feel them?” He asks still looking astonished.
What sort of question is that? Why does everyone ask to feel them? He doesn’t wait for a response. Instead he takes to steps forward. He is so close I can feel his breath. His finger softly brush my feathers. Each feather feels distinctly the sensation of his fingers. They all have to be so sensitive because they need to feel the changes in the air to prevent me from losing control while flying.
“They’re so soft” he whispers amazed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the mistakes I still don't have all my programs back. wow this was a long chapter. I would love feed back.
Please, please, please let me know your thoughts.

Thoughts on Devi?
Lucien's family trade?
Zoe's all too trusting personality?
Lillian's rage?
Sophia?

Thanks for reading/subscribing/commenting

Lurking_shadow