Status: I'm back baby!

Fly Away With Me

Free Spirit

As we fly closer to the cemetery the sky darkens with the approach of nightfall. My stomach is unsure whether to starrt doing flips or tie itself in a knot. Once we are just two blocks from the cemetery I land. Night has fallen but people would still spot my wings. I can't do it. Seeing their graves is too painful. I want to be as close as possible to them but it is too hard. Zach lands next to me.
"Why are we here?" He asks looking around at the small alleyway we have landed in.
I don't reply, instead I just wrap my arms around myself to try and provide some comfort. Couldn't i just stop here and still remember to be cautious? No. I have to do this. Mum and dad wouldn't want me to be hurt. I straighten my posture and beats my wings hard to take off quickly. Zach follows me and remains silent. Maybe he knows I won't reply.

I fly another block before my wings falter and I land again.
"Are you okay? Is your wing giving you trouble?" Zach asks concerned.
I can't do this. Why did I even come out here? I sink to the ground in a relatively clean spot.
"Just talk to me" Zach says.
I can't do it. I'm so weak.
"I'm only sixteen!" I blurt out suddenly.
"Lilly" Zach snaps "I know, just please tell me what is wrong"
I prepare to glare at him for calling me Lilly but he touches my hand just as his eyes catch mine. His eyes burn through. It feels like he can see all the way into my soul and deepest thoughts.
"Lilly, tell me why we are here" Zach speaks softly coming down to kneel in front of me.
"To visit my parents" I reply much to my horror.
I want to feel outraged. Scream at him Lillian! Instead i am feeling calm. Maybe I can do this.
"Alright, why are you having such trouble flying?" His voice is soft and calming I just have to give in.
"It hurts" I say softly screaming inside my head that I stop talking.
"Your wing hurts?" He asks concerned "Where?"
"No, it hurts to think of them" I reply.
Why won't I stop? Instead of raging at myself in my head I try calming down. What could my ability be? I visualize there being some sort of cord connecting Zach and me. That cord symbolizes all of the control he holds over me. I then visualize that cord snapping leaving me free.
"Why does it hurt to think about them?" He asks.
His voice is soft but isn't calming and comforting like it was a moment ago.
"It just is" I snap at him.
I show aggression and the ability to fight back, to both of our surprise.
"What did you say?" He asks shocked.
"I said it just does" I repeat then push him away.
I did it! I beat him! In your face Zach! He better watch his back because I now know how to break his hold over me. Before Zach can try to use that damn mind trick on me again, I leap up into the air. My wings beat hard to carry me swiftly away from him. I don't care where I am going. I just have to be away from Zach.
"Lilly, wait!" He yells and I can hear his powerful wings easily bringing him closer to me.
I swoop up higher trying to escape him.
"Lilly stop!" Zach yells again "How did you just do that?"
I fly quicker. My wings ache from the speed I am pumping them at. I have to get away from him or I fear I will beat him senseless for calling me Lilly. My name is Lillian! City lights sit below like a reflection of the stars above. I veer right as I hear Zach gaining on my left. The thrill of the chase making my blood pump quicker. A smile makes it's way to my lips as I suddenly close my wings and hurtle down towards the ground. Zach gasps and drops down to try and save me but I have already started beating my wings again. He rushes down past me as I soar upwards again. I love this. Flying is fun. Maybe my wings aren't that bad, at times. Zach is gaining on me and I push myself to go faster. I duck to the left as he closes in on my right.
"Stop!" He yells to me but I am having to much fun with this brilliant feeling.
After so long I actaully feel alive. No longer am I just a paranoid mess of a teenager. I am a free spirit literally soaring in the winds. This is what I used to be able to do. I dive downwards with my wings open. They stay still letting me glide for a moment before I pump them hard again. Zach flies at my level to my right. He looks at me angrily then sees my smile. His expression softens. I take his momentary distraction to rush over the top of him and sail upwards. A laugh escapes my lips as he tries to follow. He is smiling to now. We dip and dive through the air currents laughing for another five minutes before I finally can't beat my wings anymore. I drop down towards a lovely park. My landing is surprisingly graceful. Zach lands beside me a moment later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi!
Thanks to everyone who commented. i love you all. I am finally getting back into the swing of things. This scene from towards the end of the chapter had been on my mind since the first time I thought of a girl with wings. I'm glad it found its place in here. Well all might look well but trouble is brewing. Thank you for reading/subscribing and most of all commenting.
I love it!

Lurking_shadow