Status: I'm back baby!

Fly Away With Me

Why?

I take a deep breath savoring the cool, fresh night air. The moon is starting to rise very gradually but it isn't high enough to provide much light. Zach stands in front of me quietly. His face is shadowed because his back is to the moon. I can't wipe the smile off my face even though my wings ache and in the back of my mind a small voice whispers to me telling me that what I've just done is wrong. It whispers that I used to fly like that with my brother, when he was still living. I push the voice deep down, burrying it for the moment.
"You don't fly like you have injured your wing" Zach comments.
I can't read his expression because of the bad lighting.
"Thank you?" I respond unsurely.
"You're welcome, now where are we?"
I look around at the small childrens park. Just down the street I can make out the gates to the cemetery.
"Would you stay here?" I ask.
He pauses for a moment before replying.
"Sure, how long will you be?" Zach replies
"Not long" I answer before walking away from him.

I walk silently to the cemetery. The gates are locked which isn't normal for this time. No worry for me though. I beat my wings softly and I rise over the gate. My landing is quiet. I can't read the head stones but I remember all too well what my family's head stones look like. Tears already start to run down my cheeks. I don't bother to wipe them away instead I just wrap my arms around myself and start walking. Fifteen steps away from the large tree occupying the middle of the cemetery lays the last resting place of my family. I make it only five steps before I stumble. My legs shake and my heart feels just as heavy as the flight away from the house. Those arrows felt like a soft kiss compared to the pain He caused me emotionally by harming my family. I take the last few steps slowly swaying unsurely on my feet. Finally my legs fall out from beneath me in front of Oliver's grave. Little Oli had been too young. He had been so very along when it happened. Why wasn't I there to protect him? I should have been there. Why did I have to survive?
"Why?" I whisper softly running my finger across the top of his head stone.
Tears are no longer just running down my cheeks they are gushing. A sob creeps up, I can't hold it back. I bury my face in my hands and cry. When will I ever be able to think of them without this? Will I ever be strong enough to not collapse into tears at the mere thought of that evening?
"Why can't I just forget it?" I demand throwing my head back.
I am the perfect target. That was a bad move. Now anyone in the area knows I'm here. That small thought causes me to jump to my feet.
"I miss you" I whisper to the head stones.
Is that all that has become of my family? My mother's vibrant personality and caring eyes have come down to a bit of stone? My father's quick wit and vast knowledge is left to be captured by a small inscription? My brother's mischievous grin and infectious laughter is meant to be left has a small stump in the ground?
"It's so wrong" I say before I start to walk away.
My sense are on high alert. Every single thing I worry about has been thrust back into focus. I won't let myself slip like I have been lately. With my ears listening twice as hard to compensate for the poor viewing conditions it doesn't take long for me to hear the hurried rush of wings headed my way. What is Zach doing? Then I hear the pounding of boots of the footpath. What the devil is going on? Zach's form soars overhead then he spots me.
"Get out here!" He yells.
"There's another!" A man shouts.
I know that voice. The sound of him freeses me to the spot. Every nightmarish image of him plays across my eye lids. I start to shake.
"RUN!" Screams Zach.
Finally I am snapped out of it. I have to get out of here. In my panic my wings simply slip my mind. I have lived too long trying to forget my wings. Each of the stones and other obstacles catch my feet with every step. I can't run fast enough. Behind me there is a snap of the chain around the gate snapping.
"Go" He yells.
Who else would He have with him? The punding of someone else's steps grow closer and closer. I am so focused on the set of footsteps behind me that my foot catches on a head stone. My fear is taking over. With my eyes darting around everywhere so quickly I become dizzy. My breaths are shallow. I scramble around trying to get up when suddenly a restraining hand closes over my mouth.
"Lillian!" Zach yells from above but he can't help me.
A series of metal objects are streaking towards him at an unbelievable speed. He avoids most but the last one strikes his right wing. He swears loudly and it echoes across the once deathly quiet area. I struggle with the unseen person holding me until they whisper in my ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys.
Another chapter! It lives! Well I have left it on a bit of a cliff hanger, I suppose. Not sure when I will get th echance to update next but comments have really helped speed up the updating. Please keep the comments coming! You are all so excellent.

Thanks for reading/subscribing and especially commenting.
Lurking_shadow

Oh and one more thing. Check out my CONTEST and try your hand at entering. I'd love to see more entrants.