Status: I'm back baby!

Fly Away With Me

Like A TIger At The Zoo

Blake finally finished the call and came over.
“Are they coming? What’s happening?” I asked still holding my shirt tight against Zach’s leg.
“Yes” Blake replies shortly with no further explanation.
I nod waiting for a little explanation but none comes.
“I need you to raise Zach’s other leg to help slow blood flow to his legs” I instruct Blake and he follows easily.
“How long will they be?” I ask.
“Soon” Blake replies against in that tight voice.
“What?” I ask not understanding.
“They will arrive soon” Blake tells me before falling silent again.
This is driving me mad, what is wrong with this group? Am I that dangerous that I can’t know who is coming to save us? That small voice answers again for me, of course, who could trust you? If they do trust you they will die just like Zach is going to and it’s all because you are too selfish to stay away. No. I will not let Zach die. The blood is finally starting to slow but Zach is still unconscious and still at risk of blood loss. How are we going to move him? My ears are still straining to hear any possible ambush from him instead I hear the steady whoosh of wind from beneath wings. At last someone else has come to help. That little voice manages to destroy my hope of saving Zach will one sentence, what if they are spotted, they will lead him straight to you. My senses are strained to the limit to hear the approach of anyone; friend or foe. I’m concentrating so hard yet I don’t hear anything until a feminie voice sounds from just beside my shoulder.
“What happened?” a girl asks and I almost scream with fright.
I snap my head to the side to see a girl standing beside me. She looks no older than fourteen.
“Nothing, go home” I snap at the girl as I move myself to be a barrier between her and Zach.
Why didn’t I hear her approach?
“Don’t worry about her Immy,” Blake tells the girl with a hint of scorn in his voice, “Zach has been shot.”
Why is Blake telling her what happened? She couldn’t be the oh so secret help, could she?
This is the help you phoned for?” I demand. “We will barely carry Zach home with this child.”
“Get rid of her” Immy sighs with a roll of her eyes.
I glare at her outraged. Blake lowers Zach’s leg than grabs my arm. He has just made a very big mistake. Blake pulls me away from Zach despite my struggling. The pressure is gone from Zach’s wound! Blood seeps through the material of my shirt still wrapped around Zach’s leg. I fix my deadliest glare on Blake.
“Get, your, hands, off, me” I growl menacingly to Blake pronouncing each syllable dripping with venom.
Be it the dark look in my eyes that show a glimpse of my tormented past or the evil tone of voice but Blake drops my hand like it burned him. He backs away a step and I try to step around him to get back to saving Zach from blood loss.
“Blake” Immy snaps at him causing him to wrap both arms around me and restrain me.
“Blake” I growl at him with the same venom.
His arms press against me and I would regret taking of my shirt off if it hadn’t have been used to save Zach’s life. I slap him and Blake lets go but stands in front of me barring my way. I watch as the girl strips away my shirt from Zach’s leg causing blood to flow quicker. What does she think she is doing? She’s going to kill him!
“She’ll kill him” I whisper with outrage.
Blake doesn’t move. He stays blocking me from the girl and Zach. Can’t he see this girl has no idea what she is doing? Why am I being so protective of Zach? If Blake isn’t worried, why am I?
“Ah!” Zach cries out being thrown back into consciousness from pain as the child digs her finger into the wound.
I try to push to the side of Blake but he mirrors my moment leaving me still blocked. I try again and again until I end up just pacing back and forth still blocked by Blake. I feel like one of those tigers at the zoo that paces along the fence line. Now I know how they feel. They’re natural instincts push for freedom as my instincts push me to protect others. Maybe this is the trait Evelyn saw that made her think I would be a good mother one day. What is that girl doing? She has caused the area around the wound to be coated in another layer of blood after the last layer had just dried. I feel anger blaze to life inside of me as she removes her finger. Her finger is coated in Zach’s blood but she doesn’t seem to care. She smiles as she casts aside a small metal object she has produced from his wound. That must have been the bullet. She was just retrieving the bullet, but why? To further his suffering and bring him closer to death. In the moonlight Zach looks as pale as a ghost. Zach manages to mildly suppress a curse as his back arches against the pain.
“Almost done, Zachy” the girl assures him as he writhes in pain.
She lays her palm over the wound and Zach squeezes his eyes shut tight. Suddenly a terrific gold light shines through the small gaps between her fingers almost blinding me. Never before have I seen such a magnificent colour or light. I have never truly seen gold before this. What is it? Where is it coming from? I’m held captivated by the light then just as suddenly as it appeared in vanishes. -- removes her hand from the injury to reveal a bloodstained but otherwise perfect leg. The injury has vanished not even leaving a scar.
“Thanks” Zach says quietly as I watch his muscles, that had been tensed against the pain, relax.
“Any time, Zachy” the girl chirps happily. “Any other injuries?”
“Yeah just my wing” Zach croaks attempting to sit up.
He makes it half way before he nearly falls back. I move in quickly as if I could hope to catch him but am blocked by Blake. Immy catches Zach with a chuckle.
“Easy there big boy. I can heal the injury but I can’t replace your blood, take it easy” she warns him with a smile.
Zach just grunts as he hoists himself into a sitting position with Immy’s help. She lays a hand on Zach’s shoulder as she inspects the large piece of metal protruding from his wing.
“Hold still” she murmurs without that happy tone that makes me want to hit her.
Her fingers carefully close around the bolt and Zach winces. She isn’t going to make this any less painful then it has to be, is she? Zach has just tensed himself before she rips the bolt out.
“Fuck!” Zach screams out hoarsely.
The agony in his voice makes me cringe. In Immy’s hand is a bolt we some sort of metal wings at the tip that had been buried in Zach’s wing. This object was obviously meant to stay in or cause a massive amount of damage coming out. At the end with the wings is a small red light that pulses every second. My paranoia kicks in immediately. What would he create that would stay lodged in his victim that obviously carries some sort of technology? A tracker! My mind jumps to the conclusion and I don’t even bother trying to argue against it. It makes perfect sense.
“Throw it here” I demand with authority that causes Immy to do so immediately.
I leap up into the air beating my wings hard before the object leaves her fingers. I dip down to catch the tracker before raising upwards quickly. The night air stings my wounds and covers my exposed upper body with Goosebumps.
“Lillian” Blake calls after me but I soon hear Immy tell him to leave me be.
Everything in my hurts and a shiver grips me every few minutes. My wrists burn as wind whips around my cuts. My wings ache. They should be at least making some sort of creaking noise to reflect how hard it is to move them. The scratches covering my body sting. This doesn’t matter though, I have to dispose of this tracker. City lights come into view as I swing through the suburbs. I try to stay relatively close to the ground as I fear I will drop out of the sky soon due to exhaustion. Tonight has been Hell.

Where do you put a tracking device that is being hunted by a maniac with a gun? My answer is parked outside of a locally owned diner. The diner boasts the best fresh made coffee in bright red neon letters. Why not stick the tracker in a police vehicle? Police officers deal with maniacs all day long. They’d know much more of what to do as opposed to me, a sixteen year old girl. I swoop downwards. My landing isn’t the best. I aim to land in the car park but my body doesn’t want to comply with me. I stretch my wings out to slow and just as my feet touch the ground they decide that they won’t support me. I slide on my knees to finally come to a stop outside of an antiques store. The inside of the store is dusty and old objects are just laying in piles on the hardwood floor. A nasty set of bear traps shine reflected light from a light post in my eyes as I stand. My wings ease their aching as I close them back against me. My feathers help to warm my back slightly. I cross my arms over my chest to provide some warmth and to cover myself slightly. It isn’t the best to walk through the streets alone in just a bra and pants.

I creep over to the police car and notice that luck is on my side. The back window cracked open slightly and I slip the tracker in. It hit’s the back seat with a soft thud before rolling onto the ground and under the driver’s seat. I sigh with relief knowing that he is going to have a run in with the law when I hear a man yell from the diner.
“What are you doing?” a gruff voice demands.
I shoot my head up to spot a middle aged man striding towards me wearing a police uniform. Uh oh. I do the only rational thing, sprint. I bolt from the police officer and carpark because a half naked girl running away from a car doesn't look strange at all.

My legs wobble under me as my body prepares to just collapse.
"Hey!" The police officer calls after me but he has no chance of getting me.
I turn down a small service road then take flight. My wings falter every so often but I manage to keep from crashing. I tiredly start the flight back to my companions in the hope I can find my way back or at least keep myself in the air for that long.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey.

Well that was an odd chapter title but it's been playing on my mind.

Now obviously the girl's full name isn't Immy. What do you think of the name Imogen?

Thanks for reading/subscribing and especially for commenting. I love you all.

Lurking_shadow