Status: I'm back baby!

Fly Away With Me

Lock The Door

My landing isn't the most graceful. In fact, I crash. Once everyone comes into view my body seems to take that as a sign to finally rest. My wings lock up and I don't even flinch as the ground rushes up to meet me.
"Lillian!" I hear Zach yell to me but I doubt he'll get to me in time to stop my crash.
I must be just a metre away from the ground now. My shoulde takes most of the force as I manage to turn my body to the side saving myself from a nasty head knock. Pain jars through my entire left side as I hit the ground but I don't move. I'm too exhausted to care. It's been a very long emotionally and physically taxing night.
"Lillian!" Zach yells again from closer as he runs over to me.
Out of the corner of my eye I watch as he runs over and drops to his knees beside me.
"What happened?" he asks softly with urgency.
Hands close around my right shoulder and cup the left side of my face. Zach looks right into my face but I refuse eye contact. He isn't going to trap me this time. Blake suddenly appears and he pushes Zach's hand off my shoulder and rolls me onto my back causing pain to flare to life down my body.
"Shit" I hiss out slowly as the pain fades again.
Zach punches Blake in the shoulder to get him away from me still softly cupping my face. I open my eyes that I hadn't realised I'd closed against the pain. Zach stares right into my eyes concerned. I'm trapped. Stuck. He's caught me and I am too tired to escape. All I can do is trust him.
"Are you alright, Lilly?" he asks softly and I feel the calm flow through me.
My eyelids droop as I grow tired and loose the emotional turmoil that has often stopped me from sleeping. This is the first time I have felt safe and truly able to rest since I lost my family. Just like I was by the gold light, I am captivated by Zach's eyes that burn with concern. My answer turns to a sigh on my lips as I attempt to answer. The urgency and concern in his eyes grows shocking.
"Immy!" He yells urgently for that annoying little girl.
Now that I am not staring impatiently at a suffering Zach I can see Immy's features. She is petite with blonde hair that glows almost silver in the moonlight. Her eyes are a deep green that reminds me of Zach only her eyes are brighter. Her lithe form moves almost slightly but why couldn't I hear her fly here? I brush the thought aside to tired to care.
"Lillian, where are you injuired?" Zach asks me "Just tell me where you need healing"
Blake stands behind Zach.
"Dude, why are you stressing?" Blake asks.
Zach's eyes leave mine letting the awful emotions flow back. My pain, that had been dulled by Zach, becomes stronger. One thought stands out from the rest, there is no way on Earth I am letting Immy come near me.
"Shut up" Zach snaps at Blake.
"That child isn't coming near me" I whisper too tired to raise my voice any louder.
Zach's attention turns back to me and I am pulled into his eyes again. This time I welcome the loss of control. I hate being left to make descion, it's nice to feel that burden lifted. My pain dulls again and I close my eyes.
"No, no" Zach whispers "Stay awake, did you hit your head?"
"No" I answer him promptly.
"Open your eyes" He tells me and I follow his instruction without a thought, "Is there anywhere that needs healing before we fly?"
I pause for a moment then shake my head.
"No" I answer sure of it.
Zach sighs in relief.
"Don't scare me like that again" he tells me.
He reminds me of my dad when he saved me from drowning. A sad smile touches my lips.
"She's fine, now lets go" Immy whines.
Zach rolls his eyes and helps me stand up. I sway a bit on my feet.
"Can you fly?" he asks still holding me in his power, demanding honesty.
I want to say yes just so I don't cause any drama but my rebellious lips answer no.
"Great" Immy sighs sarcastically.
"Don't worry, I can fly her" Zach says.
I want to object but he scoops me up in his arms, Blake opens his wings and lifts from the ground.
"You alright to carry her?" Blake asks returning to himself a bit.
"Yeah, she is really light" Zach replies "I'm scared I'll break her"
Blake laughs and starts to fly off. Immy leaps into the air and I suddenly glimpse her wings. No wonder she didn't make any noise. Her wings are just like butterfly wings. They have mostly earth colours like brown and green but there is so goregeous streaks of gold and purple in the mix too. Zach lifts off the ground cradling me in his arms. The steady beat of his wings and his warmth rocks me to sleep as we soar over rooftops.

"Lillian" Zach's voice calls gently.
I crack one of my eyes open. Never before have I felt so rested. Blake and Immy are two steps ahead waiting at a large red door. The outside of the house is a shocking orange colour.
"We're here" he whispers to me as I open my other eye too.
"Where's here?" I murmur in a sleepy tone.
Zach's eyes dart up to make sure the other two aren't close enough to hear.
"Devi's house" he whispers barely audible.
This statement clears away the last of my drowsiness. I sit up then frown. Zach still has me clutched in his arms.
"Could you put me down?" I ask a bit embarrassed since I am pressed against his bare chest without a shirt on.
Zach smirks but places me on the ground. Suddenly the door bursts to a very angry looking Christian.
"What in God's name have you done?" he demands blocking entry.
"Don't use the Lord's name in vain!" a woman's voice calls from inside as Christian steps forward closing the door behind him.
Blake steps back but Immy doesn't seem to mind.
"Hey Chrissie" she chirps to Christian before slipping past him and going inside.
Christian lets her past and keeps his glare fixed on Blake.
"You wanted her saved" Blake defends.
"I was in a meeting and you call?" Christian demands.
How old does Christian think he is? Forty?
"Zach had been shot" Blake replies.
Christian is silent for a moment before nodding. He steps aside.
"You can go home" Christian tells Blake.
Blake nods, rushes up to the door. From beside the door Blake grabs a small bag then runs down the lawn. With a woosh of wings Blake is just a shape in the night sky.
"And you two" Christian hisses walking towards us.
Instinctively I stumble back a step and Zach steps in front of me.
"What did you do?" Christian hisses.
"Just had to fight for my life" Zach answers.
"And you?" Christian looks at me from around Zach.
"Move" Christian demands at Zach.
Zach hesitates and Christian shoves him aside.
"What have you dragged this group into?" Christian demands "What secrets have you been keeping?"
"What ever happened to protecting each other?" I ask with a smirk.
Christian suddenly slaps me. I fall to the ground mostly from shock.
"You stupid little girl, you don't deserve your wings" Christian hisses down at me "You will bow to me like the rest soon"
I look up at him outraged then suddenly I remember the same expression on his face earlier. It shocks me to the core. Even people ofmy own kind despise me. I sink back giving in. My head bows and I don't need to look at Christian to know he is enjoying this.
"Pathetic, no wonder your aunty beats you and your family abandoned you"
A tear creeps from the corner of my eye. He's right about my aunty but he obviously doesn't realise what happened to my family.
"That's enough!" Zach thunders punching Christian in the arm.
Christian stands up straighter and punches Zach in the face. Zach falls back but Christian doesn't stop. Christian kicks Zach repeatedly in the stomach yelling curses at him. Zach doesn't fight back. He takes it all while looking at me with apologetic eyes. I jump to my feet ignoring my various pains and tackle Christian to the ground. I punch him right in the nose and blood covers my knuckles. Zach's arms wrap around my shoulders and he pulls me out of Christian's reach before he can strike me. I'm scooped up into Zach's arms and he takes flight.
"You'll pay" Christian snarls after us before stalking into the house.
Zach beats his wings hard and we shortly arrive in my backyard. I must be quiet or else Sophia will drag me by my hair out into the streets leaving me homeless. Zach helps me in the window and I replace the screen once he is inside too. Alex glances up at us and he jumps off the bed. He wraps himself around my legs purring to me. At least he loves me. A massive bruise and lump has appeared on Zach's face where he was struck.
"Sit on the bed and stay quiet" I whisper before creeping over to my door.
The house is quiet so I assume Sophia has gone to bed. I creep out the door and close it behind me. For the first time ever I only close it one. I sneak down the hallway to the kitchen. With slow movements I silently open the freezer door and grab an icepack. On my way back down the hall I find a cloth to wrap it in. When I re-enter my room Zach is sitting on my bed with Alex curled up alseeping his lap. That cat hated him this afternoon, what's changed? I hand Zach the icepack and he thanks me before pressing it to his face. I really should have a shower to at least try and prevent some infection but that would wake Sophia. I'm too tired anyway. I crawl around Zach to put my head on my pillow. He smiles at me with the icepack pressed to his cheek.
"I'll go, good night" he whispers then I do the stupidest thing.
I grab his arm.
"Please stay" I whisper to him.
He looks a bit shocked but nods.
"Lock the door" I say with a yawn.
He picks Alex up and lays him at the foot of the bed before locking the door for me. Zach then climbs on to my bed beside me. Desperate for that same calming feeling I snuggle close to him and drift to sleep almost immediately.
♠ ♠ ♠
wow. Well you can thank Sabby for the prompt chapter. I really thought Zoe would ppear in this one but she didn't.
What can we gather from this chapter? I gathered that Christian is a jerk, Immy is uncaring, Blake is a follower of Christian and Zach is really caring. What did you gather?

Thank you for reading/subscribing and commenting. I love hearing feedbakc so give me a buzz.

Lurking_shadow