Ready When You Are

Shoot Down The Stars

"Mum, what do I do with this box?" I yelled to her downstairs. I stood still with the light box in hand waiting for her reply.

"What does it have in it?" She replied. I opened a corner of it to see my stuffed animal collection. That explains the lightness.

"Plushies!" I began walking downstairs with the box. We were moving for the second time in two months. Stupid military, first from Sheffield to Florida and now to Ohio. But I was told this was the last move and it better be, or else I'm shanking someone.

I set the box in the back of the U-Haul and took a short rest on the bed of the moving truck. Krystle, my twin, came running out of the house to join me.

"Dude, I can't believe we're moving again!" She said, trying to catch her breath. I just shook my head and crossed my arms. We were twins but so different. Her hair has been over twelve shades of orange, yellow, and blond while mine has been jet black since birth. I was lighter than her because I hated leaving the house and she was always outside. My hair much shorter than hers. She hated cutting her hair so it was down her belly button. I, on the other hand, can't stand taking more than ten minutes on my hair so mine fell just below my collar bones.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I have made a few friends in Hilliard already." I began playing with my nails and after a sigh, she replied, "See, that's where we're different. Meeting people is so easy for you. I'm not interesting at all." She put her head down and dropped her shoulders. I enveloped her in a hug.

"Krys, you are interesting! You're my twin, 'member? Not Mary-Kate's." That got a laugh out of her.

We arrived in Hilliard, Ohio a few days later. Our house was a mixture of bricks and white wood. I saw one room had a balcony and I ripped the door open and bolted in the house.

A "Hey!" from Krystle was all I heard as I charged up the stairs into my new room. It was perfect. Not too big, not too small. The walls had a certain shape that made this room seem like an apartment. Then there was the balcony, I walked out onto it and saw that it overlooked the whole backyard.

"I'm glad you fancy it." I jumped at the sound of my mum's voice because she walks like a church mouse. I turned, walked over to the door and hugged her. I walked down the hall and saw Krystle already spraying her room with perfume. I knocked on the door on my way in and cocked my eyebrows at her.

"What... it smelled funny alrigh'?" We both chuckled. I leaned over the banister and watched as the manly moving crew brought the boxes into the living and some of them were heading up the stairs.

After we unpacked everything and put it all away we went out for dinner. Nothing fancy, it was Little Caesar's pizza.

That night I was sitting in my room on my iMac and checking my My Space when I got a friend request from a band called My Ticket Home. Before excepting I went to their page to check out their music. Not trying to suck up or anything but for teenagers, they were good. Really, really good. I returned to my friend requests and approved them.

Two minutes later I got an AIM message from my friend Asia. She said that she could see Krystle's hair from a mile away and she told me that school started in two weeks. I was going to send her a quick 'thanks' back but she logged off.

I looked at my computers task bar and the time digital clock letters read 10:45. I put my computer on hibernate and went to bed.

The two weeks came and past. I spent it meeting all the people I had talked to online who lived in my new town and becoming even better friends with them. Then the big day came, I was nervous for the first time in my life it felt like. I always hated the new school part about moving. I drove with Krystle to school in my black Honda.

We stood together in the parking lot for five minutes talking.

"Are you ready?" She asked, shuffling her feet on the concrete.

"Are you?" Was my reply. I sighed and we began walking towards the school. On the way up the stairs I caught site of Cameron Boggs.

"Yo, Camel!" I called to him, he turned looking puzzled for a second then recognized me and jogged over.

"Paisley!" He said wrapping me in a hug. "I didn't expect you be here so um, soon. Y'know?" He looked at Krystle trying to hide behind me.

"Who's the little fireball behind you?" He asked with a smirk playing on his features. Stepping out from in front of her I put my around Krystle.

"This, Cameron, is my twin sister Krystle." She shook his hand.

"N-nice to meet you." She stuttered, she met his eyes.

"Well, we better get going." I hurried her along into the school.

I saw a table full of maps and "Other Relative Information" at the door so I took two and handed one to Krystle. I was circling my classes and the hallways I needed to memorize when I felt someone put a hand on my shoulder. I looked up like "what the hell?" and saw it was Asia. I hugged her and then asked her what classes she had. We traded class lists and saw that we had pretty much all the same core-classes.

"Guess what!" Her words were dripping with enthusiasm.

"What?"

"I'm you're school shower-arounder person thingy!" She gave me a thumbs up and I just laughed.

"So since Krystle's first class is right around the corner we'll drop her off first."

The three of us walked around the emptying halls to find a door that read 'Mrs. Keppel - 11th and 12th Science'. Krystle walked on inside and on our way down the hall I heard, "Welcome to the world of tomorrow!"