Tequila Shots

stand a little bit stronger.

Emily's POV
"Guys, Emily and I have something very important to announce to you." Selena said, anxiously.
Mark, Brian, and Brian's new girlfriend, Melanie, glanced up.
The house was paraded with wrapped gifts. Which made quite a bit of sense since tomorrow was Christmas. We all got back from our Christmas Eve dinner so we were all too formal. At the moment I was sporting a green dress that hit right above my knees and a black vest that only covered my chest.
"What's the big news?" Brian asked, puzzled.
"Well," Selena laid her hand on my shoulder, "Emily and I have been accepted to a college." she squealed, delightedly. I smiled back at her and looked to Brian, who was smiling as well.
"What are you guys majoring in?" Mark asked.
"Em's doing Interior Design and Journalism. I don't know what I'm doing yet, but the instructor I talked to said I could figure it out down the road. Isn't this great?!"
Brian nodded, "Em, why didn't you tell me? You're finally moving on."
My chest stung a little and pain washed through me. Brian must have noticed because almost immediately a "Sorry." came out of his mouth.
I've lost touch with Jack and the guys. The calls have been less frequent, decreasing to about one every two weeks. Nothing hurts more to lose Alex and then Jack.
I figured Jack came to his senses and realized that I was the whore who broke his best friend. He probably thought talking to me was like treason or something.
After realizing there was absolutely no way of me finding my way back to Alex, I looked into college. I couldn't be a nobody and I knew it. After enrolling and being accepted, I realized that this was the beginning of the end. Being a teenager was coming to a halt, which meant all of my teenage memories would be locked away while I started to grow up.
Growing up was definitely the last thing I wanted to do.
Brian looked at his watch and frowned, "Time for bed, so Santa comes." he smiled, picking up Melanie bridal-style.
She giggled slightly.
"Night everyone." she said, as Brian walked down the hall to his room, stepped inside, and locked the door.
Mark followed after he wrapped his arms around Selena and I and gave us cheek kisses.
"We're getting old." I said, sadly.
She wrapped her arms around me and sighed, "We JUST turned 19." she laughed at my 'barely-quarter-life-crisis'. She frowned when I didn't buy it, "This is for the best, I promise."
A few silent moments went by and she got up, "You coming to bed?" she asked.
"In a little, I want to mourn my last few days being responsible free." I laughed.
Selena walked back to her room.
I sighed and began remembering the last few years. The bad and the good; they both made me sad, because I knew they were my prime years - the perfect years. I knew I would never get them back.
The doorbell rang and I didn't want to get up.
"These better not be fucking carolers." I muttered to myself, walking to the door.

Alex's POV
The door opened swiftly revealing Emily.
Seeing her face, finally, made my heart plummet.
Suddenly I was standing in front of the girl that I knew better than the back of my hand.
The corners of my lips pulled up as I examined her. Long, brown curly locks, her face so beautiful, but natural.
I imagined she was dressed up for the whole Christmas occasion. Regardless, she was gorgeous.
"A-A-Alex?" she stuttered.
At this point, I realized her mouth was hanging open slightly. Shock, pain, and happiness accentuated her face. Her voice clouded up my brain and rushed chills down my spine.
"What are you doing here?" she asked, kindly.
I smirked at her, "I wanted to come visit you. It is Christmas."
She nodded, biting her lip. She looked baffled, "Alex, I've never gotten to apoligize the right way. But you don't understand how horrible I feel for doing that." she wrapped her arms around herself and I saw the rim around her eyes turn red, "Words can't even begin to explain how sorry I am."
"It's all in the past. We're starting over fresh."
She smiled a small, tiny smile and held out her arms - waiting for a hug.
"Don't be ridiculous." I muttered.
She frowned immediately and I saw a tear drip. She wiped at it furiously and managed to choke out:, "Sorry, I didn't know if you meant A-A-As friends or....or...as us."
I grabbed her left hand in mine and kneeled on my knee.
"No, really, don't be ridiculous."
Her face contorted to a confused expression.
"Emily Lynn Nicole Kennedy, you are the most wonderful girl I've ever met. Ever welcomed into my life. I'm so in love with you that it hurts. You're like an anchor that keeps pulling me back, but I actually want to be tied to you. You haven't hurt me like other girls have, except the one mistake you made. I was too blind to see that people do, in fact, make mistakes. It was a big mistake, but I'm not going to let that mistake stand in the way of me and you. I'm not going to let it make me miserable without you." I pulled a box out of my hoodie pocket and opened it. "Emily, will you push aside the bad in our past, and marry me?"
She put her free hand over her mouth and the tears came down her cheeks unlike any other time I've witnessed. She jumped into my arms causing us to collapse to the ground, and she laid her lips on mine.
Everything was still the same, it still felt the same. I still got butterflies and my heart still beated the same, wreckless way.
She pulled herself away and I got up with her.
I slid the diamond ring on her finger and smiled at the way it looked on her hand.
"Lexy, I love you." she sighed, kissing me again.