If your heart stops beating

Chapter 12

~*Frank’s Point of view*~

I opened the door slightly and looked around it. Gerard, Ray, Bob and Mikey were all sitting around the kitchen table.
“Oi.”
They all jumped. Gerard saw me and started out of his seat.
“How’d it go?”
I shook my head.
“Bad news.”
They all groaned.
“Oh no. What happened?”
I smiled slightly.
“You’ve got another mouth to feed.”
I pushed the door open.
“Hi,” said Alec.
The whole kitchen erupted. Alec beamed at them all as they cheered, happy tears on his face. I caught his eye and his grin stretched so wide I wondered why it didn’t split his face open.
Alec took a deep breath and stepped over the threshold. Then he turned back to me.
“I’m really a part of the family now. You’re stuck with me for good.”
I laughed, lifting him into my arms.
“Happy much?”
He wrapped his arms around my neck.
“Couldn’t be more so.”
I set him down on the bench between Gerard and Bob. Gerard gave him a big hug and Bob clapped him on the back. Alec flushed red and wriggled.
“Frank, I’m being hugged by complete strangers!”
Gerard laughed and let go.
“I’m Gerard, that’s my little brother Mikey, that’s Ray, and this is Bob.”
“I’m Alec Marshall, ten years old, eleven in two months. As Frank has no doubt told you, my parents are both dead, and my little sister lives with my Dad’s girlfriend. Incidentally, Cheryl has just been granted official custody of Katie. They’re moving back to Oregon soon.”
Gerard blinked.
“Frank, you got a smart kid. And you say you’re TEN? Dude, you’re more like thirteen.”
Alec smiled.
“My sister makes up for it by acting six.”
He stood up and walked over to me, placing his hands in mine.
“I still can’t quite believe it yet.”
I shook my head.
“Me neither.”
Mikey cleared his throat.
“So, uh, Frank, did you adopt him or what?”
“No. Just guardian.”
Alec nodded.
“No-one can replace my real father. I don’t want Frank to be my Dad, just kind of a role model.”
Bob laughed.
“You probably should have picked a better one. Frank’s not exactly role model material.”
“Shut up, I am so!”
I took Alec’s hand.
“Come with me. I’ll give you a tour.”
I led him into the next room. Behind me, I heard what could have been bets being paid, although it’s hard to be certain about a sound so vague as money being handed over.