If your heart stops beating

Chapter 9

~*Frank’s Point of view*~

At the hospital, I managed to speak to Rhonda the nurse and she told me that Alec, charming young boy, had indeed asked her for permission to go out. And how could you say no to a face like that? Yes, she said, it was alright, and she’d throw his father off, after all, boys need their freedom, and she remembered me too, I was responsible. He just had to be back by five. I thanked her, and Alec and I left.
“Now, where are we going to position ourselves?”
“Most people will be watching from the centre square.”
“Alrighty, we’ll do that.”
We got to our chosen observation point just as the parade rounded to corner. Alec was laughing along with the rest of the children when something caught his eye and the smile dropped from his face. Following his gaze, I saw a small girl with long curly blonde hair sitting atop the shoulders of a tall man. As the man turned, I recognized Carson Marshall, Alec’s dad. The girl on his shoulders was Katie. Alec broke away from me, running towards his father.
“YOU LIED TO ME! YOU TOLD ME YOU WERE BUSY!”
Carson’s eyes widened in shock.
“Alec! You’re supposed to be in the hospital-” He saw me and his eyes narrowed down to slits.
“You. YOU THINK YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO INTERFERE HERE! THIS IS MY SON! LEAVE! RIGHT NOW! LEAVE US ALONE AND NEVER BOTHER MY FAMILY AGAIN!”
The music was so loud, hardly anyone heard, and even less cared. Alec ran back to me, throwing his arms around my neck, locking himself onto me.
“If he leaves, I leave. Is that how you want it, Dad?”
Mr Marshall turned away. Katie, having recognised her brother, was waving at him, oblivious to her father’s raging. As we watched, Mr Marshall reached up and turned her head back to the parade. Alec looked away.
“Let’s go, Frank.”
We walked away from the parade, Alec still clinging to me.

I didn’t hear from Alec for the next few days. When I went to visit him, he told me his father had warned him that if I ever interfered again, he would sue me. I said to Alec that if his father felt that strongly about it, maybe I should stay away for a few weeks.

Four days later, the phone rang late at night. When I picked it up, Alec’s voice came down the line, sounding small and helpless.
“Is that Frank?”
“Yes. Alec?”
“Y- Yeah.”
He took a deep breath.
“Can you come to the hospital? I need to talk to you.”
“Alec, it’s-” I checked my watch “-nine thirty. Can this not wait until tomorrow morning?”
“N- No.”
I sighed.
“Okay, I’ll be right over.”
I hung up and grabbed my coat.
“Oi, guys! I have to go see Alec in the hospital, I’ll be back soon. I hope.”
Gerard’s voice came back from the next room.
“Okay, MOMMY, see ya.”
I threw on my shoes and walked out.

Upon arriving at the hospital, I met Nurse Rhonda in reception. She smiled warmly at me.
“Anything I can do for you?”
I nodded.
“Alec asked me to come see him.”
She frowned slightly.
“It’s a little late. Well, okay, come right this way. The Lord knows he needs someone right now.”
She led me to Alec’s room, where I found him in much the same state as he had been the day his mother died.
“Hey, buddy. What’s wrong?”
He sniffed.
“Dad got hit by a car.”
“Oh no! Is he okay?”
He shook his head.
“He’s dead.”
“Oh my god! Oh, Alec, you poor guy.”
He wiped the tears from his face.
“Did he hate me? We never made up. Did he die hating me?”
“No, Alec, I’m sure he didn’t hate you. He was your father. Fathers don’t hate their sons.”
He tried for a smile, but broke instead into more sobbing.
“Poor you...”
I leaned forward and pulled him into a hug. He rested his face on my chest and I felt his face twitch.
“I didn’t really like him, but I always loved him.”
“I know you did.”
He raised his head, looking at me.
“He wasn’t married to Cheryl, or even engaged. I have no legal parents.”
I wasn’t quite sure what he was getting at until he smiled.
“That means given as both my parents were only children and my grandparents are dead... I’m open for custody.”
I gaped.
“You mean...”
He nodded.
“I know my fair share of law. You can apply to become my legal guardian.”
I grinned.
“And you want me to?”
“Are you kidding? That’s all I want right now.”
I hugged him tighter.
“Then I will.”