The Ending That Never Was

Chapter 5

“Mmph…” Rossette murmured, as she slept. She began chewing her pillow, dreaming that she was having a big feast.

Azumaria entered the room, coming in to check on her friend. She smiled as she brushed a stray hair off Rossette’s forehead. Rossette immediately reached out and grabbed Azumaria, squeezing the life out of her.

“R-Rossette!” Azumaria squeaked. “I c-can’t bre-eathe!”

Azumaria tried to wriggle away from Rossette’s grasp, but it was too tight. She heard Rossette mumble some words that sounded like, “Humongous sweet potato! You can’t escape from me!”

“ROSSETTE!!” Azumaria squealed.

“Mmm…” Rossette released Azumaria, and turned over. Azumaria gasped for breathe as she backed away slowly from Rossette.

“Mmm…” Rossette murmured, waking up, she sat up on bed and rubbed her eyes. “Morning Az…”

“Rossette!” Azumaria gasped in delight, her friend still remembered everything, and was well and alive, not to mention that there was no change in her character – lazy, and loved to have a lie-in – “I’ll bring you your breakfast, Chrno has already finished his, and was with Elder the last time I saw him.”

“Breakfast…Thanks Az! I’m starving!” Rossette said, half dazed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chrno smiled placidly, watching Elder work. Elder was currently creating a new bullet that could work even better than a Gospel.

“Hahahaha,” Elder laughed as he finished. “When Rossette sees this, she’s going to be begging me to let her try it out!”

Chrno looked a little puzzled, “Rossette?”

Chrno did not get a reply as Elder was busy adding the finishing touches to the bullet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azumaria watched as Rossette gobbled up her second helping of breakfast.

“More please Az!” Rossette mumbled, her mouth still full.

“Ehh!! Rossette! At this rate, Sister Kate will be complaining about the cost of food again!!” Azumaria said.

“Ahh…who cares about the old woman…I’m hungry!” Rossette swallowed her mouthful of food and stuffed another large chunk into her mouth.

“Ok…” Azumaria sighed as she went out of the room to get more food.

[10 minutes later]

“Ahhh! So full!” Rossette gave a satisfied sigh after her fourth helping.

“Rossette, let’s go see Chrno now!” Azumaria suggested, wondering why Rossette still had not mentioned a thing about Chrno.

“H-uh? Chrno? Who’s that?” Rossette asked.

Azumaria who was already pulling Rossette to the door did not answer as she did not hear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azumaria knocked on the door of Elder’s workshop.

“Who’s that?” Elder asked.

“Azumaria and Rossette,” Azumaria answered. “Is Chrno there?”

“Yes he is,” Elder replied. “Come in.”

Azumaria opened the door and pulled Rossette in.

“Hi Azumaria,” Chrno greeted as he saw the pair enter. “Who’s that with you? Your new friend?”

Meanwhile, Rossette saw the shiny new bullet on the table and rushed to it.

“Elder! Is this the newest bullet? Can I use it for practice?” Rossette asked eagerly, her eyes gleaming.

“Hahahaha,” Elder laughed. “I’ll let you use it on one condition...you let me see your panties!”

“Elder you pervert!” Rossette said in a huff, whacking Elder on his head.

“Ouuch…” Elder groaned. “Chrno, do something about her!”

Elder looked up to see Azumaria looking at Chrno quizzically, Rossette realised that there was someone else in the room as well.

“Elder,” Rossette asked. “Who’s that?”

Azumaria and Elder exchanged worried glances.

“You don’t remember?” Azumaria asked in her timid way.

“Remember what?” Rossette looked puzzled.

“What’s there to remember?” Chrno scratched his head.

“Don’t you remember each other?” Elder asked.

“Him?” Rossette pointed at Chrno. “This is the first time I’ve seen him.”

“Same here,” Chrno nodded.

“Elder,” Azumaria whispered. “What should we do now?”

“Maybe we should try and explain what happened during the past month to them.” Elder replied.

“Chrno, this is Rossette, Rossette, this is Chrno,” Azumaria gave a brief introduction.

“I’m Rossette Christopher,” Rossette beamed at Chrno. “Nice to meet you.”

“Chrno,” Chrno replied with a shy smile. “Nice to meet you to.”

Rossette found it puzzling that Chrno did not have a surname but kept quiet.

“Umm…Rossette, Chrno, you two are supposed to be partners.” Azumaria watched both of them nervously.

“Wh-at? Since when?” Rossette was shocked.

“She’s my partner?” Chrno frowned. There was something that he just could not place. It was like a whole piece of his memory was just cut off and there was many loose ends in it.

“Ok,” Elder said. “Do you both remember that you died?”

“Yes.” Chrno and Rossette both nodded.

“Well,” Elder continued. “Chrno, you worked very hard to get Rossette back to life after Azumaria managed to resurrect you; when you put the device I made onto the stopwatch, red miasma surrounded you two, when it cleared, you two were unconscious.”

Chrno looked puzzled, “I only remember until he part where Azumaria brought me back to life, after that, everything else seems hazy and I only remember waking up this morning in your workshop.”

“Wa-it!” Rossette butted in. “He was the one who resurrected me? I only remember that I died, and soon I saw a light, but suddenly I was brought back to life again and then everything else went hazy and I woke up this morning.”

“You two loved each other deeply!” Azumaria could not stand it anymore and broke in.

“No way!” Rossette jumped backwards in shock.

“We what?” Chrno was stared in disbelieve.

“Well, that’s the past that you both don’t remember, it’s the truth.” Elder said.

There was an awkward silence in the workshop as Rossette and Chrno tried their best to remember their lost memory.