I Won't See You Tonight

The Move

Huntington Beach, California. It was almost the total opposite of Fairbanks, Alaska. That was the main idea of it anyway.

A fresh start.

A new life.

“Everything will be fine, honey.” Mother has said with tears in her eyes as we left.

“Make sure you remember that too, Ma.” I gently smiled back. This was going to be so much harder on her than it was for me. I had to keep my poker face straight.

“It will be fun. We can tan on a beach!” I enthused.

“Yeah, we will have to do that, after we get settled in. Now, you remember to be nice to Uncle Jerry and Aunt Pat. Say thank you and all that.” She said with a wave of her hand. I simply rolled my eyes and looked out of the windows.

I didn’t know my mother’s sister very well. And I had only met her husband at their wedding when I was ten. Needless to say, this would sort of be an awkward new beginning. I didn’t complain. They gave me a room to myself and said I could decorate it to my liking. It would be a room for me to stay in even after we had gotten our own house. Apparently, they believed we would be getting close.

I had heard stories of Aunt Patricia and Mom from when they were younger. She was a bit wild and crazy. Mom frequently compared her to me. Maybe we would be close the. But if we weren’t it wouldn’t be the end of life. After all, I was mainly doing this for Mom’s sake.

We didn’t bring much; it was part of the starting over process. It also made it easier to fly, just having a carry-on. It made me sad to leave behind so much of my things, my past. But it had to be done.

“Emelyne, we’re here, sweetie. Wake up.” My mother’s voice rang out. It had been such a long night, between the flight and the car ride to my new home; I hadn’t realized that I had fallen asleep.

At least it was dreamless.

I wordlessly got out of the rental car and helped my mother with our few bags. Aunt Pat was waiting on the porch.

“Bethy!” She grinned as she walked the short distance to us. “Oh, and Emelyne, you’ve grown up so much!”

“Patricia, I’ve missed you.” My mother said as she hugged her sister. They shared a long look and Aunt Pat touched mother’s face.

“Welcome home.”

“Thank you very much Aunt Pat. This means a lot to my mother and me.” I glanced at my mother and she gave me an approving smile.

“Well, you are more than welcome, honey.” Aunt Pat said as she pulled me into her arms. I didn’t mind much. I’m a hugger.

“Let’s get you ladies inside, it’s getting chilly out.” Aunt pat said and ushered us into the house. Mom and I looked at each other. I smiled and she allowed herself to chuckle.

Aunt pat showed us to our rooms and let us settle in. I welcomed the time for myself. Alone was good, no poker face necessary.

My room was a very plain and simple four walled space. Aunt Pat had already put in basic furnishings, a bed, dresser, and nightstand. The blanket, pillow cover, and sheets were all a dark blue. The walls, dresser, bed frame, and nightstand were white. There were two windows that only had white blinds covering them.

I put my bag by the dresser, closed the door, and sighed. I sat on the bed and opened the window located above it. I was immediately hit with a gush of heat.

“Toto, we are most definitely not in Kansas anymore.” I mumbled to myself. I looked around at what I could see through the dark night.

The surrounding houses seemed nice. Some looked quite similar to Aunt Pat’s, others very different. The yard wasn’t very large, but there was a pool. I smiled at that, it would be a good way to escape the inevitable heat. I closed the window with a promise to take a walk in the morning, to better familiarize myself with the place.

I laid down and curled my knees in to my chest.

Sleep came soon after the tears.