I Won't See You Tonight

Adjusting

I woke up around nine. I had had a nightmare, of course. Not a good start to a day, but I was basically used to it, it had been occurring far too long.

I took a long, hot shower to ease my mind. It helped, but only to a certain extent.

I ate breakfast with my mom, aunt, and uncle. Conversation was at a minimum.

“I think I’m going to go on a walk today.” I told my mother after I finally got fed up with the silence.

“That’s fine, be sure to find the school, you start tomorrow.” She said with a nod.

“’Kay. Is there any other place I should know how to get to, Aunt Pat?”

“You don’t have to go walking everywhere, sweetie.” She smiled at me and touched my hand.

“Oh, no, I like to walk. It’s good exercise.” I smiled back at her.

“Then I guess that’s your choice. Don’t you have your license though?”

“Yeah, I just prefer walking.” I said. Aunt Pat shook her head and Uncle Jerry grunted.

“Is that so strange?”

“Well, usually, kids your age are so lazy. It’s nice to see you aren’t like that.” Uncle Jerry answered. I shrugged and repeated my earlier question.

“Just go where you want, Kid. Worry about finding everything later. There’s no rush.” And with that I waved goodbye and headed off for my walk. Uncle Jerry told me which way to go to find the school, so I decided to head there first.

It was easy enough, finding the school. But as I looked at it, I had that thought of me getting lost in there. I shook my head, tomorrow would be crazy. I left after a few minutes of silent pondering, feeling a bit like a creeper. It’s a good thing it’s still the weekend. Otherwise someone could’ve looked out of the window and seen how creepish I was being.

From the school I headed to the beach. I figured it would be a nice way to relax and clear my ever-so-full mind. The walk didn’t take too long, and actually helped me start to clear my head. There were a lot of people out, so I decided I would be a total creepster again and people watch. It would have been nice to have a friend there, to add comments, and laugh with.

Laughing was usually one of my favorite things to do. Everything is so dull without laughter. It’s the best feeling ever. But lately, I haven’t been able to laugh. I miss it. I hope to God I can make some friends fast, and maybe be able to really laugh again.

I sighed as I sat on the beach. There were a lot of people. Time passed by really easy just watching everyone else have fun. I got bored about an hour in and decided to walk along the shore. I had taken my shoes off already, and the sand felt great. I hadn’t felt anything that warm living in Alaska. It was great just having the sun beam down on me. I smiled to myself as I realized how cliché I looked.

“Watch out!” I heard someone yell. I didn’t pay much attention. A lot of people were yelling, having a good time. I didn’t realize that they were yelling to me until after the Frisbee hit me on the head hard.

“Are you okay?” A male voice called as I picked up the Frisbee and turned to hand it to him.

The first thing I noticed about him, made me kind of scared. This guy was huge, in muscle mass, not fat. The second, once I could look away from those guns, were his eyes. He looked so kind, and very apologetic.

“No harm done.” I smiled and handed him the Frisbee.

“You sure?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I said. He smiled back at me now.

“Good. I haven’t seen you around here before. You new in town?”

“Yeah, I just got here last night, actually.”

“Oh, really, from where?”

“Alaska.” I said with a grin.

“Oh…”he looked kind of confused.

“I have family that already lived here.”

“Oh, okay. So, are you starting school tomorrow?”

“Yep.”

“What grade are you in?”

“I’m a senior. What about you?” This felt so weird, but so easy. He seemed like a really cool guy. Once you got past the fear of his muscles that is.

“I’m a senior too. I’m Matt by the way.” He smiled.

“Emelyne.” I nodded.

“Well, I have to get back to my friend before he throws a bitch fit, so I guess I’ll see you at school tomorrow. I could show you around if you want.”

“Okay, sounds good to me ‘cause I’m bound to get lost.”I let out a small chuckle.

“I’ll meet you by the office at seven thirty then.” He said with a wave. I nodded and turned back around to continue my walk.