I Won't See You Tonight

Our Side of Town

Turns out I have a lot of classes with Matt and his group. I had a fair share with Zacky, which made my first day go by so much easier. Not only was he hot, he was really sweet. He helped me out to get to classes, and even when the teachers were being pricks. I was told numerous times to go to the front of the class and introduce myself. It was embarrassing as fuck. But I would look at Zacky and feel kind of better. Then when I chocked, he made some sort of distraction until I put myself back together.

Sure some of the others did that as well, I just happened to notice it more when it was Zacky.
Then at lunch, I sat with them too. I noticed that most of the group was paired up: Matt and Val, Michelle and Brian, Cam and Johnny, Jimmy and some girl that I had not met.
This left just Zacky and me.

“How’s your day going so far?” Zacky asked as he munched on some pizza.

“Okay, I guess. Better than I expected.”

“That’s good.” He smiled.

“So what bands are you into?” He asked, glancing at my Misfits shirt.

“Misfits, obviously, and Metallica, Black Flag, Guns ‘n’ roses.” I listed. “What about you?”

“The same actually. What’s your favorite song?”

“American Psycho.” I grinned. He smiled back, causing me to blush. I concentrated on my food, to get the red away from my cheeks.

We spent the rest of lunch getting to know each other. Cam and Johnny ended up joining in on the questioning. I felt like I was being interrogated. I didn’t mind much, it was just weird. But by the end of lunch I was able to have an actual conversation with Zacky, Johnny, and Cam.

The class after lunch, history, I had with the majority of the group. Val and Michelle sat next to each other with Matt in front of Val and Brian beside him (in front of Michelle). Jimmy and Cam sat in front of Matt and Brian. Zacky and Johnny weren’t there. Johnny was a freshman, so he had good reason not to be. But Zacky…it would have been awesome if he was in here too. I sighed and sat next to Matt.

“Oh, hey Emelyne.” Matt smiled, his dimples showing.

“Hey Matt.” I half smiled back.

“How’s your first day goin’?”

“Good, I guess.”

“Finding everything?”

“Yeah, you gave a great tour.”

“Good.” He smiled again and turned back to Brian. I spaced out, thinking of back home.

“You okay, Emelyne?” A feminine voice said from behind me. I looked over to see that the whole group was looking at me.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I smiled, “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Sweetie, you’re crying.” Val said softly. I reached my hand to my face and it was slightly wet.

“Oh, uh…I didn’t even realize…” I said as I turned from the others again.

“You sure you’re okay?” Matt leaned over and asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine, Matt.” I smiled at him. They left it alone from there.

I walked home alone. The rest of the school day had been rather un-eventful. The others acted rather cautious around me after history. Just my luck, make friends one day and freak them out before the day is even over. I wasn’t even sure what was wrong. I didn’t entirely miss it back home; I welcomed the new life and experience with open arms. So, what was my problem? The events that led to the move would not evacuate my mind.

I shook my head as images filled my mind. This time I felt the tears fill my eyes. I tried to shake it off and concentrate on my walk.

“Hey Emelyne, wait up!” A voice called from behind me. I wiped at my eyes and turned around to see who was calling for me. I couldn’t help but smile when I seen that it was Zacky.

“Hey.” I smiled when he caught up to me.

“You live out this way too?” he asked and I nodded.

“Cool, all the others live on the other side of town; it’ll be nice to walk with someone for a change.”

“All of them?”

“Well Brian lives out this way too, but he doesn’t like walking home.”

“So why don’t you get rides from him?”

“I like to walk.” He shrugged.

“Guess that’s reason enough. I like walking too.”

“Cool. So, would you want to walk together in the morning too?”

“Sure.” I smiled.

We talked about random things; he told me random funny stories of the group. Before I knew it we were at my place.

“Well, this is my stop.” I smiled.

“Seriously?” Zacky asked with a smile.

“Yeah, why?”

“I live like three houses down.”

“That’s so cool.” I smiled back.

“See you tomorrow then.” I smiled and waved as I headed up the porch.

Once I got inside I found my mom on the couch.

“Hey sweetie,” She tried to smile,”How was the first day at school?”

“It was fine, are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m alright. Did you make any friends?”

“Yeah, I found a group that I really like. Are you sure you’re okay?”

“That’s good.” She said, ignoring my question. I shrugged it off and walked to my room to start on homework.