These Lives Of Ours.

No one's gonna help us?

I couldn’t watch him beat up Ryan again. I couldn’t stand to be a witness to such violence, so my impulsive nature kicked in and I took matters into my own hands. “Leave him alone!” I jumped up and got up in his dad’s face. “Excuse me?” I stared him right in the eyes and put a finger to his chest. “I said. Leave. Him. ALONE!” He threw his fist into my stomach and I was knocked to the ground. Luckily, that was all I needed. I could now fight back legally.

“Chip!” Ryan jumped up but his dad pinned him down, leaving me unattended. I took that opportunity to kick him in the back of the knees. He fell like most people do and I circled to kick him in the balls. “FUCK!” He screamed in pain and I grabbed Ryan’s hand. Running down the stairs.

“Where can we hide?” Ryan looked around. He knew this house better then I did. “THERE!” He pointed to the panic room. I’m not sure why his house had one but it was a damn good thing it was there.

“Come on!” Finally the door shut, sealing us in. We were safe in here for at least a little while. “Why do you have a panic room?” I asked, a little out of breath from being so scared. “Because my mom’s paranoid.” I smiled and rested my back against the wall. “Do you have a cell phone or something?” He nodded and pointed to the wall. I should have guess that the panic room would have a phone. “You’re pretty quick on your feet. Thanks.” “Yeah well. Same excuse for everything I guess. It’s one of those things I picked up.” He nodded and I dialled in 911.

--------------------------

My face throbbed with pain as I thought I could feel a little trickle of blood coming from a cut that I couldn’t find. “So they’re coming?” I asked as Chip set down the phone. “They don’t believe me!” I smashed my fists down on the ground. “OWW!” “Well that was smart.” I shot her a nasty looked and rubbed at my knuckles.

“So then what are we gonna do? Dad’s gonna kill us if he ever finds us.” Chip nodded and stared at the ground. “How can you be so calm about this?” She looked up at me and I saw a few tears were escaping her eyes. “I dunno. I’m just used to this I guess.” It hit me just then. This is that one thing Chip wasn’t used to. Abusive situations. She had been through everything, except this. “I’m sorry I got you into this.” She shook her head and whipped away the tears. “I’m fine. Really. Do you have any way we can check on the rest of the house from in here?” I nodded and grabbed up a remote control. I pressed a button and a screen came down from the ceiling. “What are you thinking?” “Just find your dad ok?” I searched the entire house and he was nowhere to be found. Outside, his car was gone. “He must be out looking for us.” “Then let’s go!”

I opened the door and we ran out of the house and down the street as fast as we could. “Where are we going?” “To the police.” “I thought they didn’t believe us!” “Well they will if they see the bruises.” I nodded and we continued to run, not stopping until we were outside the building.

-------------------------------

“Excuse me?” I tapped on the counter and the lady turned around. “We need to speak to someone about…our abusive parents.” I chose my words carefully and tried to sound convincing. “I’ll call down the chief.” She had up wait in the lobby time thing until he came.

“Do you think they’ll believe us?” I looked at Ryan and his bruise. I didn’t see a way they couldn’t. “Are you the two trouble making kids?” The guy who came up to us had a booming voice and didn’t look happy. “We’re not here to make trouble. We’re trying to get away from our abusive father!” He shook his head and looked at Ryan’s bruise. “Other then that…” He pointed at Ryan’s face. “Do you have any proof?” We realized then that we didn’t. “Come back when you have proof.” That was it. We were shoved outside into the now pouring rain. Dejected, scared, and abused.