These Lives Of Ours.

This is what we wanted.

I hugged him and turned his head towards mine, whipping away the tears that I wish weren’t there. “Don’t worry Ryan. We’ll be ok.” He nodded and I grabbed up my camera. “Now let’s get this ready before your parents get home.” He nodded and I pulled on some clean clothes.

~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~

Two hours later and I was in the attic, peering down at the living room, my camera stuck in the crack in the ceiling. You couldn’t see it from bellow, but I could see the entire living room with it. Ryan’s parents were supposed to be home soon, and as soon as they got home I’d flick on the camera and make sure I caught everything that happened on tape.

“We’re…ome son!” I gasped as Ryan’s father stumbled into the house, obviously drunk. His mother however, was nowhere to be seen. “Hey dad…how was your trip?” I flipped on the camera. “It was…good.” His dad hiccupped and collapsed on the couch. “Where…were you yesterday?” Ryan started to get a little nervous as he sat down next to his father. “I was…with friends.” “You weren’t with those lousy “band mates” of your were you?” Ryan didn’t answer and his father swung at him, connecting with his jaw. “ANSWER…ME!” He hiccupped again and stood over Ryan, ready to punch again. I had the whole thing on tape now and I whipped out my sidekick to call the police.

“911 what’s your emergency?” I whispered harshly into the phone. “My best’s friends dad is beating him up badly. Please come quickly.” She talked me through everything and soon the police were arriving and I could see the arresting Ryan’s dad and talking things over with Ryan. He wasn’t hurt badly enough for an ambulance thank god.

I crawled out of the attic and walked downstairs. Ready to show the police the tape if need be. “Are you the one who called the police?” The man asked, looking sympathetically at me. I just nodded and looked down at a badly beaten Ryan. “And where were you during all this?” I pointed at the hole in the ceiling. “I was getting it on tape. We knew this would happen. And the police said they wouldn’t help us without proof. So I hid up there and turned on the camera when things started to go wrong.” The officer took a look at the tape, deciding it wasn’t a set-up he handed it back to me.

“Do you have anywhere to stay?” He asked the both of us. We both nodded. “I’m with my…my parents.” “And I want to go back to Pete.” The officer looked shocked. “You two are the ones who were with Peter Wentz?” We nodded and he said something into his radio. “Grab some stuff. You’re welcome to go back to him. We’ll deal with the adoption papers tomorrow.” Ryan smiled at me and I smiled back. We had both gotten what we wanted. So why did I feel so horrible?