A Love That Bled

Chapter II

Once inside, I saw a stairway leading to the second floor and decided to follow it. The place was pretty creepy since the light was dimmed and the only noise was the sound of my heels clicking across the hallway to the only room; which happened to be all the way at the end. As I slowly opened the wooden door with a loud creak, I looked inside and saw a decent looking, middle-aged man with dark brown hair and eyes.

“Would you happen to be Ms. Melissa Ortega?”

“Yes, that would be me.” I replied in a reassuring smile. He looked up.

“Splendid. Are you ready to begin?”

“Of course.”

He then pulled out a small black device with numerous buttons from his suitcase at the foot of his chair. I sat down on the opposite chair from him and took a deep breath as he pressed a play button.

“So, Melissa, you’ve had a hectic life from what I’ve heard?”

“Indeed. Hectic, yet very…extraordinary mind you.”

“I see. Why not tell us about this extraordinary life of yours?”

“Hmm…where to start?”

“It was 1891, when I was a working as a waitress in a 24 hour cheap diner located in New Orleans, Louisiana. The pay wasn’t too much, but it was an adequate amount to get me out of the place to move to France and get an education. My parents at the time were both selfish rich people that could care less what I had done with my pathetic life, according to them.”

“One Tuesday night, the night I had the grave shift, I was cleaning a table with my back towards the door when I heard it open and close. My eyes shifted to the door, but there was nothing in sight. In a scared manner, I went back to cleaning the table. A couple of minutes later, I heard someone groaning right behind me. I felt my heart beating rapidly and slowly turned to look at the unknown person or object.”

“The sight before my eyes made me shriek. The unknown person was dressed similar to an aristocrat, and had blond hair tied neatly back with shocking blue eyes and pale skin. Although he must’ve been handsome, his appearance was horrid due to the fact that his eyes were bloodshot and his breath stenched strongly of alcohol.”

‘What a shame’ I thought to myself.”

“ ‘Can I help you sir’?”

“ ‘I….I….can’t find my way home. No one loves me…I’m such a shame. I should’ve just committed suicide like I was told!’ He said as he dropped down to his knees and started crying to no end.”

“ ‘Sir, I have no idea what in the world you’re talking about. I’m sure there’s no need of doing such a thing. You must have a loving family and a home somewhere. You just seem to be drunk, even though you don’t realize it..’ “

“ ‘Madame, I may be drunk, but surely there are no people left in the world who loves me. My relatives have all deceased, and I’m left alone with nothing to turn to but wine. Please, Madame, would you be willing to help one such as me?’ ”

“I was never one to turn down cries of help. As much as I tried, my softhearted self always got the best of me. And Anyways, I didn’t think it would hurt to help. I always helped others, so why would it be different this time?”

“ ‘Look, I will help you only this time. Afterwards, you’re on your own. I have but just one question. What would your name be?’ “

“ ‘Louis de Pointe du Lac’ “

“ ‘A pleasure to meet you Louis. Now, how can I help you?’ “