Mystery Girl

1/1

My name is Sonny. But most of my friends call me Sunshine. My best friend, Max, came up with that one when we first met in 7th grade.

A few years back, Max became famous. You might know him from the band, Escape the Fate. Yeah, I was best friends with Max Green. It’s okay if you’re jealous, I might be too if I were you. Him becoming famous didn’t change anything about him, he was still the same guy I knew and loved.

Oops. Did I say that out loud?

Yes, it’s true. I, Sonny White, am in love with Max Green. Of course, him being a guy, he knows nothing about that. I’m kinda glad, I’m afraid of what that would do to our friendship.

On the other hand, it does make it kinda hard seeing him every day, a ton of girls hanging on him.

Today was no different. It bothered me greatly, because I knew these girls only ‘loved’ him because he was famous. I loved him because he was him. I walked down the hallway, after another horrid day in physics, and saw him. This time, the number of girls wasn’t as bad. Only about 4 or 5. His face lit up when he saw me, and he threw me a grin, one that brightened up my day, the one I had fallen in love with. The butterflies went nuts, and I grinned back. He escaped from the girls, and gave me a hug.

“Hey, Sunshine! How was physics?” I groaned.

“Absolutely AWFUL. We had a pop quiz today, and I’m pretty sure I bombed it.” He let go, and took a step back, throwing me a Look.

“What??” I asked. He rolled his eyes. “Sunshine, really. You’re super smart. I’m sure you aced it.” It was my turn to roll my eyes. “We’ll just see when the test results come back.” I said. He sighed.

“Come on, let’s get to English.” I followed him down the hallway, and he was unusually quiet.

“Maxy, is everything alright?” He shook his head, and nodded.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Really. Don’t worry about it.” He smiled at me, and I smiled back, totally unconvinced.

Lately Max has been...different. Distant. He had been writing songs on his guitar, melancholy songs that had the sense of a song someone would sing if their love was unreturned. He was hung up on a girl, again. Every time he found someone new to crush on, he would become like this.

“What girl is it?” I asked. He stopped, and turned around to look at me. His face was full of frustration, and a bit of despair.

“This girl, she’s absolutely wonderful, but she won’t look at me other than friends. She’s gorgeous, and she has a killer smile, and her personality is amazing. She’s hilarious, and she brightens up my day.”

My heart sank into my stomach. Of course there was another girl. I took a deep breath, pulled up my big girl panties, and played the part of a good best friend.

“Maxy, I’m sure that’s she’ll see how amazing you are.” I know I sure did. His face became slightly more hopeful, and he gave a half-smile.

“You think?” I nodded. We walked into English, and not another word about the mystery girl passed our lips.

((3 months later))

Max still hadn’t told me who the mystery girl was, and all he would say about it was that she could always brighten his day. Then he would look at me as if he wanted me to catch an underlying joke. I never did.

We were driving around in his old truck, and he still hadn’t picked a place for us to eat. It was custom for us to go eat out every 2nd Friday of the month. Finally, he picked out this really pretty Italian place. There was a fountain outside, and light pink flowers surrounded it. I picked one, and put it in my hair. Max smiled at me, and I grinned back. We walked inside, and got a quiet booth in the back. There was a lit candle on the table, and he table was so small it was nearly impossible for our hands to not touch. I tried to keep my blushing under control.

He sighed. I cocked my head. “Maxy, is everything okay?”

“Sonny, what I’m about to tell you is...hard for me to say. You have to swear that you won’t hate me. Please.” I was scared. He never used my real name unless he was mad at me. I
nodded.

“I promise, Max. I won’t get mad, or hate you, or whatever.” He nodded, opened his mouth, and hesitated. I waited patiently, yet impatiently.

“I’m going to tell you who the mystery girl is.” My eyes widened. Finally, I was going to find out the identity of the girl who stole Max’s heart.

“She’s amazing, and beautiful. She makes me laugh when I feel like jumping off a cliff, and her smile is stunning. She’s smart, brilliant, and I feel like I’m in love with her. I know I’m in love with her.” With every complimenting word, I felt my heart sink lower, and lower, and come closer to breaking.

“I feel like I’ve known her forever, even if it’s only been a few years. Sonny, I love you.” His words didn’t make sense. He was supposed to tell me about the mystery girl.

Then it hit me like a bag of bricks.

He was telling me about the mystery girl. I was the one he had been talking about. Me. The boy I loved loved me back. My heart soared, and I could feel a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth.

“Max, are you telling the truth?” He looked up from his hands, and nodded. I let the smile take over my mouth.

“Max Green, I love you too.” He grinned, the grin I loved, and leaned over the table.

It was the most spectacular kiss of my life.