Slow Down Sugar, I'm Diabetic!

1/1

I sighed as my alarm went off, and I hit the off button. “I hate first days,” I mumbled. I got out of bed, and walked over to my closet.

“What to wear, the ever important question. First impressions are so important.” I pulled out a light pink sundress, and slipped it on. After pulling on some silver flats, I went to my bathroom, and stared at myself in the mirror. My golden blonde hair fell around my shoulders, softly curled. I would fit in with the other Californian girls, with my tanned skin, freckles, and blonde hair. The only difference that set me apart was my hazel eyes, which at the moment were super sleepy. I yawned, and started to comb my hair. I decided to leave it down, and put on some eyeliner and mascara.

I skipped down the stairs, and grabbed my bag off the couch. “Good morning, Momma.” I kissed my mom on the cheek, and she smiled at me.

“Good morning, Kimberly. Are you ready for school?” I nodded. “Are you hungry?” I shook my head. She sighed.

“If you’re sure, then we’ll go.” I grinned.

She dropped me off at the front of the large school. The parking lot was empty of people, and the courtyards were too. It made sense, seeing as school already started. My mom had told me that I could sleep in a little more and be late, only because it was my first day.

“Have a great day, sweetie!” She blew me a kiss before driving off. I was all by myself. My cell phone beeped.

“Good morning from Texas! How is school?” I smiled. My best friend, Marie, had texted me every morning since I moved.

“It’s huge!!” I replied. I slipped my phone back into my pocket, and walked towards the main office. It was basically empty, but the sounds of ringing phones and fax machines reassured me that there was life here. A young looking lady popped up from behind the main desk.

“Can I help you?” I smiled.

“Yes, I’m new here, and I need a schedule.” She nodded.

“Name, and grade.”

“Kimberly Richards, 11th grade.” She typed the information into the desktop computer, and as the machine processed the info, asked me a few questions.

“Where are you from?”

“Texas.”

“That would explain your cute accent. Do you need a guide to show you around the school?” I thought for a moment, and figured it would be a great way to know at least one person.

“Sure. Thanks.” I smiled at her, and she smiled back. “Here you are.” She handed me a slip of paper with computer typing on it. I scanned it. Good classes.

“Mrs. Ryder, can you please send in Nick? I have a student that I would like him to show around.” A few seconds later a voice rang through the room.

“Yes, Miss Whiese. He’s on his way.”

“Thank you.”

I stood there for a moment, not sure what to do. The lady turned back to me and smiled reassuringly.

“Nick is a very nice boy, and a junior as well. He had the most classes with you, so I picked him for your guide.” I thanked her, and she nodded.

“That’s what I do!” She laughed, and I joined her. The door swung open, and I turned around.

The boy that walked in was stunning. Literally. I was stunned. There had been cute boys in Texas, of course, but they were NOTHING compared to this one.

His hair was curly, and dark brown. His eyes were like melted pools of chocolate, and his smile was breathtaking. He had slight dimples, and I felt my knees go weak.

“You must be the new girl.” I nodded, incapable of speaking.

“I’m Nick, Nick Jonas. It’s nice to meet you.” He said, putting a hand out. I shook it.

“I’m Kimberly Richards. It’s great to meet you.” He smiled wider, and I returned it.

“Alright you two, get to class. Go on now!” The lady behind the counter laughed, and we left. I waved as we walked out, and then turned back to Nick.

“You must be from somewhere south.” I nodded, confirming his assumption.

“Texas. Dallas.” He grinned. “That’s a cool place.” I nodded again, smiling. “It was pretty cool.” We walked into the English classroom, and we sat down together. The teacher didn’t make me stand up and introduce myself, which was nice. I didn’t like strangers much. When we walked in, a few girls gave me death glares. Joy. I would have to deal with these girls.

“Ignore them, they’re not worth your time,” Nick muttered under his breath. I smiled to myself. He noticed. I felt like giggling like a silly little girl with a crush.

Well, I was.

I sighed. I had only met this guy less than 10 minutes ago, and I was already crushing on him.

My phone vibrated. I sneakily checked it.

“Kim! Any cute boys??” It was Marie.

“Yes, one VERY cute one. Tell you later.” I put my phone away, and paid attention to class. And to Nick.

((6 months later))

Nick and I had become great friends, and most of that was due to him always having to show me around. The school was huge, and I was constantly getting lost. The moment I thought I knew it, it changed on me.

He had gotten to know my strange little quirks, and I knew his. For some reason, he had found it hard to tell me that he had diabetes, but finally when he did, I accepted it. My uncle has diabetes, it wasn’t anything new to me.

He liked to take me to see school plays, said it was a way for me to ‘get to know people.’ I learned almost everyone’s name that was in theatre, and could recite them back to him. I had made other friends, some girls and some guys. Nick always seemed a little tense whenever I mentioned my guy friends, but I thought it was just me.

Today we were going to see yet another play, but this time it was in a big group. His brothers were coming, and a few of my friends, guys included. The play was The Crucible by Arthur Miller, and it got a little scary. Afterwards, we went out to eat at McDonald’s. Yum.

“Can I have a number 10, with Dr. Pepper and a large fry please?” The man behind the counter rang up my order and I paid him.

“Piggy.” Nick said, laughing. I poked him. “Hush, I’m hungry, and can do what I want!” He chuckled. “Of course, of course.”

We ate, and the meal went by quickly, with everyone laughing and talking and having a good time. Well, almost.

There was a moment when one of my close guy friends put his arm around my chair. Nick (who was sitting on the other side of me) growled under his breath. At least, that’s what it sounded like. I sat forward, and Danny took his arm off, and that was that. No harm done.

Afterwards, Nick was walking me home, and he was unnaturally quiet. Normally he would talk, or joke, or do something!

“Nick, is everything okay?” He sighed.

“No, everything isn’t okay.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” He sighed again, and stopped in front of me. He took my hands, and his were extremely warm. It felt nice in the cold.

“Kim, I can’t keep this in any longer. Ever since I walked into the office on the first day of school, I liked you. And now that I’ve gotten to know you better, I think I might be falling in love with you. I can’t live without you. Kimberly, will you be my girlfriend?”

I was stunned. Shocked. And altogether pleased.

“Yes, yes, a million times yes!” He grinned, and I leaned in to kiss him. He kissed me back, and it got a little, *ahem* passionate. He pulled back and laughed.

“Slow down sugar, I’m a diabetic!”
♠ ♠ ♠
woop.