You Missed

1/1

I leaned down on the sidewalk, tying my Converse. I quietly sung to myself, standing back up. I walked down the familiar street I had lived on all my life. I was a simple person, I didn’t need more than my music and my dreams. My name is Jessica Brown, and I’m 15 years old. I have the average length of brown hair, and I’m around the average height (5’4”). I loved music though, and was on my way to start piano lessons. I had always thought that piano was the prettiest music making instrument, and was now taking it upon myself to learn how to make that pretty music.

I arrived at the small shop that was offering to teach piano, walking in the door. The familiar chime that happened whenever you walk into any store went off, and I smiled at the comfort.

“Hi! I’m here to sign up for piano lessons.” I walked up to the front desk, and began talking to the elderly lady sitting behind it. She smiled up at me.

“I’m glad you’re here, dearie. Just fill out this here form, and you can start right away.” She handed me a slip of paper, and a pen. I sat down, and began to fill it out.

When I had finished, I turned it into her. She quickly read it over, and then asked me for my $20 registration fee. I handed it to her, and she put it in the register.

“Into that room, someone will be with you shortly.” She smiled, and I went into the room she was pointing at. Inside was a BEAUTIFUL baby grand piano. I sat down on the bench, stroking the keys lightly. I began to play, softly, just small notes. I didn’t know what I was doing, but it sounded pretty enough, and soon I was caught up in the music.

“Beautiful.” I jumped, and the music abruptly stopped. I whirled around to see who was there.

My heart stopped.

He was gorgeous.

His curly brown hair was glinting in the sunlight coming in from the windows, and his AMAZING brown eyes were crinkled from smiling. His smile was breathtaking as well. He was well dressed, a green button up shirt tucked into jeans and a brown belt. I had to try my hardest to not let my mouth drop.

“Um, th-thanks. But it’s nothing,” I said, stammering. “I don’t know how to play. That’s why I’m here.”

He smiled wider. I knew him from somewhere, I just couldn’t put a finger on it. I was racking my brain, going through all of my classes at school, and places I had been. He introduced himself.

“I’m Nick. I’ll be your teacher, although from the sounds of it, you won’t need much teaching.” My eyes widened.

That’s where I knew him from.

Nick, the curly brown hair, the brown eyes, the dog tag necklace, it was all fitting together.

NICK JONAS WAS GOING TO TEACH ME PIANO.

I blinked, and smiled. If this was going to work, I couldn’t be a screaming fan girl. I stood up, and walked over to him, extending my hand. “I’m Jessica. Call me Jess.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Jess. Come on, let’s get started.” He walked towards the bench, and I followed, sitting down next to him. The bench was small, so we had to be close. His arm brushed mine, and it felt like electricity was shot through my veins.

Not that I minded, of course.

“Now, we’ll start with the basics,” he began, and I watched as his fingers moved gracefully over the keys. I memorized his every move, noticing just how pretty the music was.

“Your turn.” I took a deep breath, and began to play the keys like he did. He grinned.

“Amazing! Are you sure you’ve never played?” I nodded, shy.

“It was great! Let’s try something new…” And the best day of my life continued.

((2 months))

I finished the piece I had been playing, with a slight flourish. As soon as my fingers lifted from the keys, everyone in the audience clapped, standing up. I had never had a standing ovation before, so I couldn’t help the grin that came over my face. I stood up, bowing, and roses were thrown at me. It seemed like something out of a dream, and I had to resist the urge to pinch myself. I walked off the stage, nearly squealing with excitement.

“Nick! Nick! Did you see that? They gave me a standing ovation!” He smiled.

“I saw, I saw. It was amazing! You were amazing!” I hugged him, an impulsive move. He hugged me back, then he let go, stepping back.

“There’s something else I wanted to tell you, Jess.” He reached behind him, bringing up a light pink rose.

“So, are you gonna be my girl?” He sang, and I grinned wider. I hugged him again.

“How could I say no to that?” I said, kissing his cheek. He laughed.

“You missed,” he said, kissing my lips.

Let me tell you, there was no way THIS was a dream.