Worth The Wait

An unexpected guest.

“Come on Gerard, get up.” Ryan said while he was shaking me. I mumbled a little enough to tell him to say I was awake. He left and said, “This the last time I’m ever going to wake you up.” Even though I heard it clearly I didn’t care, cause I know he’s just a little cranky.

After a while I sat up and felt my heart pacing faster as if every beat was from me being nervous like I could break down and pass out. Then it hit me… that girl in my dreams. I couldn’t help, but to think if everything wasn't all a dream, that maybe that girl was real. I can’t just say this was a dream even if I could I wouldn’t want to. It’s not riveting nor is it revolting.

Before I got to think anything else I hear Ryan yelling “Hey time for breakfast, get dressed properly.” I wondered why he was being so bossy. He is younger than me. I didn’t even think of listening to him. I just used my tank top and my floral shorts. When I got downstairs I saw this girl. I’ve never seen her around. I went straight back up stairs and asked my mom, who she was and she told me that she was new in the neighbor hood.

“So, what’s she doing here in the house, especially in the morning.” I told her with an embarrassing look on my face. She responded once she saw the expression on my face “Why, you like her?”

“No, what the hell, I walked in the kitchen with my clothes like this to find a random girl staring at me.” I responded quickly to defend myself.

“Well your brother did warn you about getting dress.” She said while she was putting make up for work. I was feeling a bit irascible at the moment. So I walked in back to my room to put a new shirt on. I didn’t feel like putting new shorts on. So, I headed back down to the kitchen to eat breakfast. It was sort of hard to concentrate on eating with someone staring at me.

It was silent, until Ryan came back into the kitchen. “SOOOOOOO, where are you from?” He asked.

“I moved in from Washington D.C.” she answer with no sound of being nervous. While she said that I almost choked on my food. I remember that voice. It was the same exact voice from my dream. I temporized by eating a lot and much faster so I wouldn’t blurt out anything.

I finished eating and I headed straight to the bathroom to go get dressed for school. While I was showering, I heard everything, the way I turned the handle for the water to come out, every drop hitting the bathtub. It was like everything was going by slow, all I could think of was the girl and my dreams. I couldn’t help, but to say out of thought, “There’s nothing wrong.”

I headed down stairs again fully dressed for school. Once I got there she was still there and then I turned looking for mother at the door. “She’s walking with you to school or put it this way, you’re walking her to school.” She said from behind of where I was. I got scared.

“Okaaaay.” I smiled a little just to be polite. “Are you okay with it though?” She said ruminatively. It was as if she thought it would be a big bother to me.

“Ha-ha, yeeaah, it’s alright.” I said in a very friendly voice. I went and got my bag on the kitchen table and she picked up hers on her chair. She walked out the door and I went to go get water. Then mother tells me to have fun. I don’t even know what she means by that and I have no intentions of knowing. I looked at the new girl from the other side of the glass door. I also notice that her body formed much like the apparition of that girl from my dream.

I soon went outside and then we started walking to school, seemingly how we were just a few blocks away. It was a bit awkward, cause it was so quiet. Then the words “So, can I know your name?” came out of her. “Gerard” I said while I was looking down. I returned the question and she turned at me and she gave a small little smile and said “I’m Jaimee.”

We didn’t get to far with our basic conversation and we were already at school. “Can you walk with me after school?” She said kindly. “Or unless it’s a bother then never mind.” She added nervously.

“Uh, uhmm.. Su-urreee.” I said with a shaky voice. “It’s no bother.” I added with a smile.