In Fate's Hands

Chapter 1: Nothing Left But Pain and Misery

BEEEEEPPPP! Time to wake up. Damn it.

She had to force herself to open her beautiful big brown eyes that contained some shades of gray. As she slowly rose out of bed, her shiny brown hair flowed to her shoulders. She went through the normal routine of taking a shower, brushing her teeth, putting on her clothes, etc, but there was something very unusual about this girl. For one thing, she always wore long sleeves and long pants, no matter what the weather was; she had to cover up the bruises all over her body. She only wore makeup when she had to cover up the bruises on her face and always looked plain; she did everything she possibly could to hide her beauty. He would never let her have a boyfriend and he would hit her if he thought she looked too pretty or “sexy.” In fact, if there weren’t a law that said that every minor had to go to school, he wouldn’t have ever let her out of the house. But, no one knew any of this except the people involved, not one single soul.

She looked in the mirror at her pale, colorless face as she pulled her soft hair into a bun. She put a sweatshirt on over her shirt and zipped it all the way up the top so that no one could see anything under there and then she put on a pair of sweat pants and sneakers, put her backpack on, and went downstairs for breakfast. That’s how it always was.

“What took, you so long?” he asked angrily as she came downstairs.

“I always take that much time to get ready,” she replied, putting her bag down at the table.

“Don’t get smart with me. I’m not stupid,” he said, taking a sip from the beer he had in his hand.

“I never said you were.”

“Yes, but I could tell what you were thinking and you are going to pay for that dearly.” He threw his beer bottle across the room and it shattered into little broken pieces all over the floor. That’s when she knew she would be in trouble, so she got up and tried to get out of the room, but he stopped her.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he asked as he grabbed her arm. You know, I do so much for you. I put food on the table for you, but you never seem to appreciate it. That’s going to change now.” He grabbed both of her arms tightly and shoved her up against the wall. He kept on kneeing her in the stomach until she doubled up on the floor crying in pain. Then, he threw her backpack at her and told her to get out. She took her backpack and dragged herself through the door into the living room so that she could rest and regain her strength for a few moments before catching the bus to school.

When she rode on the bus, she watched as a car ran through a red light and almost got into an accident with another car and she had a flashback to the worst day of her life.

**FLASHBACK**

Her life rewound 11 years back; she was now 6 years old.

“That was so much fun, Daddy!” she said excitedly as she got into the backseat of the car. Her father had just taken her roller-skating, one of her favorite activities.

“You were better out there than I was, kiddo,” her dad chuckled as he slid into the driver’s seat. “You were practically doing double-axles out there. I’m very impressed. I think I have a future world-class figure skater on my hands.”

“What’s a figure skater, Daddy?”

“A figure skater is a famous ice skater. Do you have your seatbelt on?”

“Oh that sounds cool. Yes I do.”

“Good girl. Here we go.” He put the car into drive and they were on their way home after a long night.

She asked her dad to put on the radio and the song “I Miss You” by Blink 182 came on. He left the station on and they both began to sing the song together.

“I love you, Daddy,” she said after the song was over.

“I love you too, Sweetie,” he responded.

They drove in silence for a few minutes and she just looked out the window and watched as all the cars zoomed by. She noticed as a car went through a red light and was coming right at them.

“DADDY!” she screamed and then she felt the impact as the other car rammed into them. Everything went black.

A few hours later, she woke up to her mother leaning over her hospital bed and crying hysterically.

“Mommy, don’t cry,” she said softly.

As soon as she said this, her mother looked up. When she realized that her daughter’s eyes were open, she hugged her tightly and said, “Oh, Elizabeth, thank God you’re ok. Thank God.”

“Why am I in a hospital?” she asked.

“You got hurt in a car accident.”

Elizabeth looked around the room and noticed that someone was missing.

“Where’s Daddy?” she asked. As soon as the words left her mouth, her mother cried harder.

“H-honey, I don’t know how to t-tell you this, but y-your f-father didn’t m-make it,” she stammered out. It’s really hard to talk and cry at the same time.

“So Daddy couldn’t come to the hospital and he’s at home?”

“No, H-honey, Daddy was in the car accident with you. He’s n-not with us anymore; he’s in h-heaven with the angels.”

“When will I get to see him again?” she asked in a sad voice.

“You w-won’t ever get to see him again, Baby.”

“But I want my daddy!” she wailed and she started to cry.

“I know, Honey, I know.”

She held Elizabeth’s head to her chest and they cried together for hours. Elizabeth didn’t really understand death yet, but somehow she knew that she would never see her beloved father again.

**END OF FLASHBACK**

9 years later, her mother got remarried to a man named Anthony Rodriguez and Elizabeth’s life has been miserable ever since.