Desperate, but Not Hopeless

*** City

It’s good to be early on the first day of a new job, right? Wrong! Oh so very, very wrong.

I wasn’t needed on set until midday, and seeing as I didn’t need a drastic transformation from makeup and my costume was simply jeans and a vest top, I wasn’t needed at all until ten.

But what does Millie Dale do? Turns up at seven! Not only was the place deserted until seven-thirty, but from then onwards I was in the way. Great impression I’ve given already, huh?

Second day though, not so stupid. However today I still found myself waiting around at ten-thirty, when we were supposed to start shooting at ten, waiting for the ‘movie star’ to show his face! But hey, I’m getting paid to sit about drinking coffee, getting my hair and makeup touched up whenever the artists get bored.

Extras don’t normally get this kinda star treatment, but I auditioned for this roll and worked damn hard to get it. I have a character, history, a personality, lines – not line – lines! I have actual camera time for a change! For the first time since I’ve had my agent, a long five years. I swear I should fire him, but bless, his heart is in the right place.


Millie is sitting in the ‘class room’ where her scene should be taking place. Drinking her cold coffee she day dreams out the window, while the production crew fly around, trying not to waste anymore time because someone’s late.

DIRECTORS ASSISTANT: He’s just pulled up!

Oh finally! I watch the ‘star’ get out of his chauffer driven car and run inside.

It’s pathetic really. How he can get away with only a ban for flipping his car and refusing a breath test, and we normal people would be well and truly fucked! Typical, actually.


Mille looks down at her script, going over her lines – again.

“Just ignore them…I know…right, and I’ve known you since grade school…just don’t let bother you…”

I know the lines are crappy, but it’s lines! You know the best friend or the first one to die who inspires the hero to concur the villain and get the girl? Well I’m that best friend and the first one to die. See, character history and a plot device all rolled into one.

I’ve already filmed my death scene. Pretty crappy really, drive by shooting, and in the mists of everything I get shot, died and was already dead when said hero finds me.

He’s not too bad, really. Like all the other Hollywood kids, and yeah I say kid. I know we’re the same age, but I don’t know. I guess life experience does count for a lot these days. But then again, he says ‘hello’, we have mindless chitchat between takes, he cracks a joke, I generally laugh and we both get on with the job in hand. All in all, Shia LaBeouf isn’t that bad of a guy.


SHIA: Still putting his costume hoodie on, running onto the set. I’m sorry I’m late. The driver got lost.

DIRECTOR: That’s fine, Shia. Take your seat, this shouldn’t take too long. What I need is-

Blah. I’ve heard this a million times already this morning. Glaze lovingly past the right camera, this will be where the girl you fancy will be sitting, break from day dream to answer the question wrong. React to the classes laugher, the bell will ring, get up and talk to-

DIRECTOR: Millie. Okay?

SHIA: Got it.

Shia takes his seat next to Millie, who discards her script under her seat.

SHIA: Hi again.

MILLIE: Hey.

DIRECTOR ASSISTANT: No drinking on set please.

MILLIE: Looking at her coffee. Oh-

She looks for somewhere to put the half empty cup when Shia takes it from her, but before she can warn him, he downs it.

SHIA: Trying not to spit the cold coffee everywhere.Oh…yuck! Why are you drinking cold coffee?

MILLIE: I’ve been nursing it for about an hour.

SHIA: Wiping his tongue.Aur, that’s fucking disgusting.

MILLIE: I did try to stop you.

DIRECTOR: Ready please?

The lights fire up, the sound technician moves closer, the director calls for background action from the other students and the teacher, the cameras begin to roll, the scene is just about to spring into life. When everything suddenly stops. The only light is from the natural spill from the windows. The hum of the electricity dies as the crew look at each other.

CREW MEMBER: The generators blown.

DIRECTOR: Oh, for…

So here I am. Still daydreaming out the same window at twelve, still waiting for the electric. Some would say, why not just wait until tomorrow. Can’t. Tomorrow is the next stage of filming, when all the stunts and action kicks in. Tomorrow is when myself and all the other ‘normal’ characters are no longer required, and to draft us in again will cost too much money, effort and time.

I’d heard the director giving the same blocking time and time again, he ran though some scenes for the next stages of filming with Shia, and to be honest if I couldn’t get Facebook on my phone, I would have died by now. But, surprise, surprise, my phone needed a battery charge, so I might just end up dead before the day is out.


While Millie is looking out the window, Shia sits back down next to her. He taps her on the shoulder bringing her back to reality.

SHIA: Wanna share?

He holds out half a sandwich, with a lazy, but cheeky smile.

SHIA: It was the only cheese one they had left, and I really wanted cheese, and I didn’t want to offend you in case you were a vegetarian.

MILLIE: Smiling at his kindness.I’m fine, thank you though.

SHIA: Ohh come on. I’ve been here since ten-thirty and I’ve not seen you eat anything, and if you’re one of those girls who don’t eat anything on those stupid diets, I’m gonna have to force feed you.

He beams a smile to her, and looking down, shyly smiling, Mille accepts half of the sandwich.

SHIA: I can’t believe the generator blew out everything.

MILLIE: I know. I thought they’d have back-ups for the back-ups.

SHIA: Laughing. Yeah, with the size of this budget.

The silence between them falls, it’s slightly uneasy.

SHIA: So, this is your first movie, right?

MILLIE: Erm, yeah. Kinda. I’ve done a few extra works, but nothing like this.

SHIA: That’s cool. You wanna get into acting?

MILLIE: I’d like to. I mean, it’s not my dream or anything, but I like to be creative, ya know?

SHIA: Yeah, totally. I get that.

The silence falls again.

Talk to the man. Just say something like, ‘you were really good in Transformers’…no. He’ll think I’m so crazy fan. Holes then, he was good in Holes. Yeah as if that makes it any better!

SHIA: Is acting the only thing you do?

MILLIE: Uhm, yeah. In a creative sense anyway.

SHIA: Oh, what else do you do?

MILLIE: I work in a bar down town.

SHIA: Oh cool. Do you think I’d know it?

MILLIE: I’d hope not.

Shia frowns.

MILLIE: It pays the bills.

Shia realises what she means and just smiles.
Millie goes back to looking out the window.


SHIA: It’s been kinda fun working with you. I mean, I know we’ve not had a lot of time together, but you laugh at my jokes and that always makes me happy.

MILLIE: Looking back at him, blushing slightly and smiling. It’s okay. It’s been fun working with you too. I could think of worse people to work with on my first real job.

SHIA: I told you, it’s because you laugh at my jokes, I can be an evil little fuc-

Suddenly the bright lights come back on, almost blinding Millie and Shia, as they are the only two in the room. Within seconds the rest of the cast and crew run into the room, finally ready to start filming.

Millie is standing outside, looking up and down the street.
Shia comes outside and sparks up a cigarette.


SHIA: I thought you left ages ago?

MILLIE: I was meant to. My ride hasn’t showed yet.

SHIA: Oh. You can share my ride.

MILLIE: Thanks. It’s okay though. I need to be at work.

SHIA: Pointing back to the movie set. You’ve just left-

MILLIE: Oh, no. Laughing. To the work that pays the bills.

SHIA: Oh right. The bar?

MILLIE: Yeah.

SHIA: I’m gonna be finished here pretty soon. I don’t mind dropping you off.

MILLIE: You mean your driver doesn’t?

SHIA: Well…yeah.

MILLIE: No, honestly. It’s out of your way.

SHIA: Where is it?

MILLIE: Down town.

SHIA: It’s not that far.

MILLIE: No, really. You’ll get stuck in all that traffic going up the hill.

SHIA: How did you know I needed to go that way?

MILLIE: Shia, we’re practically neighbours.

SHIA: Are we?

MILLIE: Yeah. You live like three blocks up from me.

SHIA: Really?! Damn, no wonder why you need to work two jobs.

MILLIE: Three.

SHIA: Don’t you sleep?!

MILLIE: Yeah, between jobs.

SHIA: Let me give you a ride. Please?

MILLIE: Honestly, she’ll be here soon.

SHIA: Come on. If it weren’t for me being late, you would have been done hours ago-

MILLIE: We did have a power cut too.

SHIA: But still, you would have gone earlier, and you still could have some sleep. Please, let me make it up to you.

MILLIE: Why would you need to make it up to me, if your driver got lost?

SHIA: Uneasily. Well…erm…

Just then a car speeds past them, then slams the breaks on. Millie waves over to it, and runs towards it.

MILLIE: Shannon! Still running to the car, she turns and waves goodbye to Shia. Nice working with you, thanks for the sandwich.

SHIA: Yeah – see you around.

MILLIE: In the car. I doubt it.

SHANNON: What?

MILLIE: Nothing.

Shannon pulls away with as much speed as she was originally driving with. Millie sees Shia looking towards the car in the side mirror, until the car disappears around a corner.

SHANNON: Sorry I’m late.

MILLIE: Girl, you’re always late.

SHANNON: What?! I needed a wax! And Brendan has already called me saying that Cindy’s not in tonight and something about she’s “higher than a fucking kite and I’ve had enough of her ways”. I stopped listening when my neighbour ripped out every hair in the girly area! The pain!

MILLIE: No Cindy?! Great, this day just keeps on getting better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback?
Thank you.