Desperate, but Not Hopeless

I’m not in love, cause I’m a mess.

I’m not in love, cause I’m messed up.

Millie gets off a bus with a bag across her body, a teddy bear in one hand and her cell phone in the other. It’s coming to the end of a brilliant summers day and Millie’s smile is reflecting the setting sunbeams as she sends another text to Shia.

“Well you would say that! And you’re not a superstar, Seth Rogan is much funnier! Lol x”

With a spring in her step, Millie walks the four blocks to her house. Just as she’s about to unlatch the door lock her phone bleeps.

“As if he’s funnier! Have you ever seen him break dance? I rocked our party last week, and not only our party; I rocked your socks right off your feet! X”

Millie starts laughing as she turns the key the door. Before she has a chance to open the door it’s whooshed open.

SHANNON: Millie-Anne!

MILLIE: Drop the Anne; it’s not my name.

SHANNON: Pointing at the teddy bear. Who’s that from?

MILLIE: Closing the door and taking her bag off. Oh a customer bought it today, then called saying he’d changed his mind and didn’t want to give it to his girlfriend, so he said I could keep it.

SHANNON: Oh. Hey…did I ever tell you, you have a gorgeous figure?

MILLIE: Whatever it is, no!

Millie goes past Shannon into their small living room with her cell phone and teddy bear Shia decided against sending to Flick. She sits down and begins to text him back.

“LOL! Maybe…if I were wearing socks!”

Every time Millie tries to text Shannon interrupts her, making her stop.

SHANNON: Sitting on the floor next to Millie. Honestly, you’re such a great friend.

MILLIE: Whatever you say, I’m still gonna say no.

SHANNON: You don’t even know what it is yet.

MILLIE: Shannon, I don’t have any money to lend you.

SHANNON: What?! I don’t want money.

MILLIE: Well that’s new.

SHANNON: You know, the club is closed tonight?

MILLIE: Yeah, something about the new varnish on the stage is making everyone high.

SHANNON: Which means…you have tonight off!

MILLIE: First one in months.

“FFS! Shannon’s pissing me off and I’ve only just got in!”

SHANNON: Well like I said, you’ve an amazing body!

MILLIE: Getting up from the sofa.Oh no! I know where this is leading.

SHANNON: Please!

MILLIE: Nope!

“This is just typical. I’ll text you later. X”

SHANNON: Chasing Millie into her bedroom. Gregg told his wife the bar is still open. He’s coming here.

MILLIE: Shame you gotta work at “Go-Go’s” tonight.

SHANNON: Please Millie. I’d do it for you.

MILLIE: Didn’t your mother ever tell you it’s wrong to lie?

SHANNON: I’m going to cook him a meal. I think this is it Millie. He’s going to leave her.

MILLIE: How many times have you heard that?

SHANNON: It’s true this time. We’re going to move away.

Millie’s phone bleeps again. She reads the message from Shia.

“Why? What’s she done this time? X”

MILLIE: And you actually believe him?!

SHANNON: Yes actually! I do.

Millie texts Shia back while they continue to argue.

MILLIE: He’s using you! He has no intention of leaving her.

“Oh apparently Shannon’s fuck, who is already happily married, is leaving his wife. She wants me to work my night off so they can have a romantic night in together.”

SHANNON: So why has he been looking at houses?

MILLIE: Maybe because he’s moving with the wife?!

SHANNON: She’d never leave LA.

MILLIE: Leave LA?!

SHANNON: We’re moving to New York.

MILLIE: What?!

SHANNON: He loves me and wants to make it right!

MILLIE: You’re fucking off to New York!

“And now she’s leaving me with over 1000 bucks a month house to pay for! X”

SHANNON: Yes! So we can finally be together!

MILLIE: You’ll be leaving me with this place to pay for!

SHANNON: You’ll be fine, get another job!

MILLIE: I have two already, with a third when I can get the work! You find me more time in the day and I will! You’re a bitch Shannon, I told you I didn’t want to live here, I said we couldn’t afford it!

SHANNON: You’re the selfish bitch; I can’t believe you’re not happy for us!

MILLIE: Happy for you!? I should tell his fucking wife!

Millie’s phone beeps.

“What?! Don’t work! Do you wanna come to mine? Flick’s away, so it’s cool. And you can stay in the guest room…if you want? X”

SHANNON: Why are you so spiteful? It’s because you’ll never find anyone!

MILLIE: After reading Shia’s message. Actually, I have!

Millie grabs her teddy and storms out the room.

SHANNON: Following her. You won’t make me feel bad for leaving! Get someone else to share with.

MILLIE: I was going to! Charlotte! Until, for some unknown reason, I pitied you! Charlotte warned me; I didn’t listen and she pulled out! Ten fucking houses in less than eighteen months, Shannon, all because they weren’t good enough of the twenty dollar whore!

SHANNON: I’ve changed a lot since then!

MILLIE: No you haven’t! You’re still the same back stabbing stripper who opens her legs for a double vodka or an extra dollar bill! It’s my name on that rent and my name on all the bills, I’ll be back in the morning and you better not be!

SHANNON: So what if I am?

MILLIE: I’ll call the police and you get changed for possession again, only this time you won’t get away with it!

Millie leaves a shocked looking Shannon behind her as she leaves the house. The second Millie slams the front door there’s a rumble of thunder as the heavens open, soaking her right through in seconds.

Great, just great.

Shia is sitting in his living room, feet up on the large coffee table in the middle of the room, watching a movie, with his phone on his lap and a beer in his hand.

The storm above is quickly getting worse as the thunder booms and lightening lights up the semi-dark room. There is a sudden loud knock at the front door, which coincides with the scary bit in the movie, causing Shia to jump in fright.

Realising there is someone knocking at the door, Shia pauses the DVD, places his beer on the table, and goes to answer the door. His phone still tightly gripped in hand, paranoia from the thriller movie going a bit too far.

The knocking happens again, only loud and more impatient this time.


SHIA: Alright! I’m coming!

He opens the door to a pathetic looking Millie, with a weak smile and soaked right through, she cuddles the teddy to her chest.

MILLIE: We thought we’d take you up on your offer.

Shia smiles and quickly brings her inside away from the cold rain.

Millie and Shia are now watching “Saw 2” in the living room. Millie is warmed up after the hot shower and is wearing one of Shia’s over-sized Shady Ltd basketball jerseys, with her legs tucked under her, covered by a blanket.

MILLIE: Oh, I hate this bit.

SHIA: It’s all fake.

MILLIE: I know that, but if it didn’t look real we’d complain and moan about it.

SHIA: True.

MILLIE: No! Play the damn game!

Shia laughs at Millie’s outburst cause by her over involvement in the movie.

SHIA: You know they can’t hear you, and that’s what the script calls for?

MILLIE: Yes I know that. He’s in the safe you fucking idiot! It’s all pre-recorded!

Shia cracks up laughing again.

MILLIE: Laughing slightly. Don’t laugh at me.

SHIA: Still laughing. It’s kinda hard not to.

MILLIE: Trying not to laugh. There you go…judging me again.

SHIA: Really laughing. Yep for getting too involved in a movie you’ve seen too many times and know what’s gonna happen anyway.

MILLIE: Yeah, but it makes a fun. No! Don’t put your hands in the box! He’ll leave you to die!

SHIA: So, what you gonna do about Shannon?

MILLIE: I kicked her out.

SHIA: What? Why?

MILLIE: He’s in the damn safe! It’s your game you idiot!

SHIA: Mill?!

MILLIE: Hmm?

SHIA: How come you kicked her out?

MILLIE: Because she was gonna dump me in the shit and fuck off to New York with Gregg, so why not?

SHIA: Because she never would have gone, and you’re left without a housemate to help with the bills.

MILLIE: That wasn’t the point though. No! Don’t leave the warehouse! Go back!

SHIA: I’m starting to think watching the entire “Saw’s” in one go wasn’t a good idea after all.

MILLIE: No, it’s brilliant! Whoever wrote this need to be locked away, it’s fucked up.

SHIA: So what was the point then?

Millie looks at him blankly.

SHIA: About kicking Shannon out?

MILLIE: Well she was all ready to drop me. Well fuck her! I wasn’t prepared to sit and wait for her to decide when she’d had enough and was going.

SHIA: What you gonna do then?

MILLIE: I haven’t a clue.

SHIA: You could always-

MILLIE: Don’t even think about it.

SHIA: Think about what?

MILLIE: I know and you know. Thanks, but no thanks. I might ask Charlotte if she wants to get a place again.

SHIA: Charlotte?

MILLIE: I girl I went to school with. We were gonna move in together before Shannon came along. We’ll probably find somewhere more affordable.

SHIA: What? Like where?!

MILLIE: Don’t know. Across town-

SHIA: You can’t!

MILLIE: Well I can’t stay up here; it’s too expensive.

SHIA: But I can walk to your house.

MILLIE: Drive.

SHIA: He holds his hand up.Yeah, flipped my car. Twelve month ban, remember?

MILLIE: Get the bus-

SHIA: Yeah… “Shia LaBeouf gets the bus”- I can see it now!

MILLIE: Ohh you’ve gotta now. That would be a brilliant headline.

SHIA: I’m not getting the bus.

MILLIE: Spoiled sport. Ohh, ohh, where it comes… “Game-.

Just as ‘Amanda’ is about to say “Game over” the power cuts out, leaving the two in darkness. Millie screams a little, and within milliseconds the two are laughing at her stupidity.

SHIA: Uhm…

The thunder booms, just as the sheet lightening turns night to day.

MILLIE: It’s right above us.

SHIA: Damn storm! It’s cut my power!

Shia’s cell phone on the table starts flashing. He answers it.

SHIA: Hey mom…yeah my powers cut too…no I moved them…because you should have candles near a stove…the cupboard…where you keep the glasses…yeah…okay…you going to bed?…Okay, well sleep tight, make sure you blow the candle out…okay, love you too Ma…night.

MILLIE: Giggling. Aww!

SHIA: Shoosh you, I adore my Ma.

MILLIE: I can tell.

She takes his phone and uses its light to light up a little of the room, so he can use his good hand to push himself up off the sofa.

MILLIE: You clever enough to have candles?

SHIA: Nope…but Flick is. I’ll get them.

She hands over his phone and he leaves for the kitchen. The lightening lights the room up again, as the storm gets even worse. Millie goes to the window and opens the small one and watches the rain pounce down and the electricity attack the sky. Shia comes back in with two candles.

SHIA: Close the window.

MILLIE: Can’t, sorry.

SHIA: The rain will come in.

MILLIE: It won’t. I’ve opened the little one.

SHIA: Why have you opened it in the first place?

MILLIE: My grandma always opened the windows during an electricity storm.

SHIA: Weird.

MILLIE: Not really. My great-grandma was Irish, and in those days they believed that an electric ball could come down the chimney and wouldn’t have anywhere to go, so it would blow up the house. If they opened the windows and doors it could go outside…and don’t look at me like that.

Shia takes his “fucking weird” look off his face and replaces it with a smile.

MILLIE: And don’t judge me either.

SHIA: Laughing, he places the candles on the coffee table, and goes to stand with her at the window. You know that I don’t have a chimney?

MILLIE: Yes, as well as I know an electric ball wouldn’t blow up because it couldn’t get outside, but it’s still something I was brought up with, and something I always do. Yeah I’m strange, but that’s what Millie does.

Just then fork lightening hits the ground that must be feet away from the window as the thunder right above them shakes the house. Millie screams and jumps backwards into Shia’s un-expecting arms.

SHIA: Woah…

MILLIE: Shit, sorry.

SHIA: You okay?

MILLIE: Yeah, just wasn’t expecting that.

SHIA: Did that hit my lawn?

MILLIE: No, I don’t think so.

SHIA: Come on. Lets sit back down.

MILLIE: I’m leaving the window open.

SHIA: I daren’t shut it to be honest.

Millie laughs as they sit back down. Millie’s head is facing the window, while Shia is happily looking at Millie’s natural pretty face, which keeps getting illuminated by the light.

SHIA: Did your Grandma raise you then?

MILLIE: Not turning away from the window. Why do you think that?

SHIA: Well you never talk about your family, and you’ve just mentioned your Grandma…I’m guessing.

MILLIE: She was the main carer in my life I suppose.

SHIA: Why do I get the feeling this is a bit of a touchy subject?

MILLIE: Because it is.

SHIA: Well I am gonna ask…

MILLIE: Why?

SHIA: Because we’re friends.

MILLIE: My mom couldn’t cope with me.

SHIA: Bit of a trouble maker?

MILLIE: She had mental problems.

SHIA: Oh-

MILLIE: Feel like an idiot now, don’t ya?

SHIA: Just a little.

MILLIE: I went into a lot of care homes, until my grandma decided to take me on full time so I still had contact with my mom.

SHIA: That sucks.

MILLIE: Actually it wasn’t all that bad. You hear about loads of kids who had bad times, but the system really isn’t as bad as people think. I didn’t get raped and I wasn’t abused, I was well fed and looked after.

There is another attack from the storm, making Millie jump again.

MILLIE: I’m not liking this storm.

SHIA: Come here.

Shia puts his arm around her shoulders so she can cuddle into him, her head resting on his shoulder, the blanker covering their legs.

SHIA: Was your mom always ill?

MILLIE: Since before I was born. She had a son who died before he was two, it sent her over the edge and she never recovered. I was an accident, after a one-night stand.

SHIA: Oh…

MILLIE: It’s okay.

SHIA: Did you ever meet your father?

MILLIE: No. I don’t even think he knows about me.

SHIA: Would you ever wanna meet him?

MILLIE: Na, I wouldn’t want to. I’ve never really needed him, and I’ve done pretty much okay without him.

Millie yawns.

SHIA: Do you wanna go to bed?

MILLIE: No, it’s okay. If I go to bed early it messes up my sleeping pattern.

SHIA: Or lack of.

MILLIE: Laughing with him. Yeah, I guess. Come on then, since we’re chatting about my up bringing, what about yours?

SHIA: Not much to tell really. It was just Ma and me.

MILLIE: Didn’t you know your dad either?

SHIA: You’re telling me you didn’t already read about it?

MILLIE: Nope. I didn’t care about your personal life when I read about you on Wiki. I just wanted to know about your career.

SHIA: You knew about Flick though-

MILLIE: Everybody knows about you and Flick. She’s banging on about how you guys a just- mimicking Flick’s voice, –“totally made for each other!” And how, “ Shia is totally amazing, he helps me so much and gives me a lot of inspiration when I write-”

SHIA: Laughing. She doesn’t write shit! I’m surprised they bother even letting her record.

MILLIE: What do you mean?

SHIA: They mix her voice that much they might as well get someone else to sing it! When she sings I swear she hears a different voice in her head!

MILLIE: Laughing. Glad you said it, because I was bound to!

SHIA: Laughing with her. Yeah, she’s pretty damn crap! Least you’re not forced to listen to her natural voice!

MILLIE: You have my deepest sympathy!

Millie yawns again.

SHIA: I really think you should go to bed.

MILLIE: I won’t sleep.

SHIA: You will.

MILLIE: The storm will keep me awake.

SHIA: But you’re tired now.

MILLIE: Don’t judge me, but it’s because I’m not alone.

SHIA: Laughing. Why would I judge you because of that?

MILLIE: Because it makes me look like a girl-

SHIA: News flash – you are!

MILLIE: Laughing with him. You know what I mean.

SHIA: It’s okay; I’ll stay here with you.

MILLIE: Smiling. Thank you.

SHIA: No problem, I was gonna stay up anyway.

MILLIE: No I mean, for being my first real friend. Everyone has always taken advantage of me because I try to keep my head down and get on with things.

SHIA: Anytime, but I am taking advantage…

Millie looks up at him.

SHIA: You make me laugh, you’re great to talk to and you’re not bad to look at, so I’m being nice so I can keep you around.

He winks at her just before she hits his stomach and puts her head back on his shoulder.

MILLIE: I’ll take that as a compliment.

SHIA: Then what did you hit me for?

MILLIE: Something to do…?

SHIA: You know, I’m really glad you got the part of Chloe.

MILLIE: Why?

SHIA: Because I never would have met you.

MILLIE: You would have met me in Blooming Flowers.

SHIA: But I wouldn’t have already known you, and I probably wouldn’t have gone back.

MILLIE: But you get flowers for Flick?

SHIA: Oh come off it. I only keep buying flowers for an excuse to see you.

MILLIE: You don’t need an excuse to see me.

SHIA: I know, but you really would think I’m stalking you, since I’m not allowed in the club-

MILLIE: It gets too busy; we wouldn’t be able to talk.

SHIA: I know.

Millie yawns again.

SHIA: Right, bed. Come on.

MILLIE: I won’t sleep-

SHIA: You will if I’m there.

Shia stands, blows a candle out and picks up the other one up.

MILLIE: What?

SHIA: Holding out his hand. Sleep. Come on.

After a second she takes his hand and follows him to his bedroom, after Shia closes the living-room window.

Once they’re in his room, Millie opens a window as he places the candle by the bed. Millie gets in the bed while Shia takes his jeans off, keeping his boxers and t-shirt on and joins her in the bed, blowing out the candle as he does.

They both lay on their sides, facing each other, Shia’s arm falling around her waist.


MILLIE: I’m glad I got the part too.

SHIA: You should have come to the premiere.

MILLIE: Why?

SHIA: So I could have shown you off! Have you had any more jobs offered?

MILLIE: A couple.

SHIA: Any good?

MILLIE: One was-

SHIA: Did you go for it?

MILLIE: Nah.

SHIA: Why not?

MILLIE: I told you, I don’t wanna get into acting.

SHIA: What then?

MILLIE: I wanted to be an author.

SHIA: Really? What kinda stuff do you write?

MILLIE: Horror and thrillers mainly.

SHIA: Books or scripts?

MILLIE: Books really, but everyone in this town wants movies. I’ve never had any interest in my prose stuff. I’ve tried to write some scripted stuff, but I’ve never really found the time.

SHIA: You should let me read them.

MILLIE: Oh no. I never let people read them.

SHIA: Why not?

MILLIE: My scripts aren’t all that good, and my books I wrote a long time ago. It was just something to kill time when I was in care.

SHIA: If writing was your dream you should do it.

MILLIE: Hmm…maybe one day.

SHIA: I bet you’re brilliant!

Millie blushes.

SHIA: You know, I like you.

MILLIE: I like you too.

Millie closes her eyes. Shia takes this golden opportunity and presses his lips to hers. Millie instantly pulls away.

SHIA: Shit! Sorry, I don’t know what-

Millie cuts him off by lightly kissing him back. The two fall into an affectionate kiss, his hand presses on her back, pulling her closer.
Shia ends the kiss, but keeps his eyes closed and his nose on hers.


SHIA: I really like you.

She doesn’t answer.

SHIA: Without moving. Mill?

Millie remains silent.

Shia pulls away and to his disbelief Millie has fallen into a peaceful slumber.


SHIA: Smiling. Goodnight Millie.

He lightly kisses her forehead and still holding her tightly falls asleep next to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts?
Feelings?
Anything?

Tell friends. x