Desperate, but Not Hopeless

Lord knows I've tried to find a way to run away.

Shia and Millie walk through to the small living area, Mille gestures for Shia to sit down. He looks around at the small house and hesitantly takes a seat on the dusty run down couch.

Millie takes a seat next to Shia and crosses her legs over the other.


SHIA:Whispering. What happened?

MILLIE: Shrugging her shoulders. Nothing happened.

SHIA: Mill’s tell me, I can’t help you if you don’t.

MILLIE: Raising a brow. Who said I wanted your help? You’re always assuming, always thinking I need you, I need your money.

SHIA: That’s not what I meant and you know it.

MILLIE: Mumbling. I don’t know anything anymore.

SHIA: A few months ago everything was fine, we were getting on great and then you just up and leave, why?

MILLIE: I lost my job Shia, I can’t pay for rent if I don’t have the money.

SHIA: I offered you a place to stay.

MILLIE: You really think that would have worked with Flick there?

SHIA: I ended things with Flick.

MILLIE: And before you start, don’t say, she would have to deal with it, it’s your house- Wait, what?

Millie’s eyes traveled to Shia’s, shock written all over her face.

MILLIE: Why?

SHIA: I don’t love her, she was just using me to further her career.

MILLIE: You finally realized that huh?

Millie couldn’t help but smile at the new piece of information.

SHIA: So are you gonna tell me now?

MILLIE: Tell you what?

SHIA: What’s wrong?

MILLIE: There’s nothing wrong, I just couldn’t stay and be a burden to you.

Shia sighs loudly and looks around the room.

SHIA: Why don’t you get changed and we can go for a coffee or something?

MILLIE: I don’t know-

SHIA: Please, you owe me that much.

MILLIE:Nodding her head she stands up. I’ll be out in a few minutes.

SHIA: Okay.

Shia watches Millie leave the room, sighing heavily he stands up and begins to pace the room, threading his hands through his hair he stops at the under end of the room.

Frowning, he looks down at the object that catches his eye and steps closer.

A syringe left on the small table with a few magazines next to it, it hadn’t even tried to be covered up, just left on show.

Shia takes a closer look and noticed a red lighter lying just beneath the magazines and a small bag of substance.

Shia shakes his head and stands back up, walking straight for the door, he opens it and closes it behind him.

Millie steps out the room into the living area and looks around.


MILLIE: Shia?

Millie is stood outside Shia’s house, her hands by her sides as she balls and then unballs her fist over and over. With her head down she paces the front of Shia’s porch.

Stopping she nod’s her head in approval and makes those few final steps to Shia’s front door. Balling her fist one last time she takes a deep breath and knock on the door, waiting for a reply.

Millie waits, and waits.

After five minutes of waiting she sits down on the steps, tucking her knees to her chest and resting her head in her hands. She releases a heavy sigh and stands back, composing her self she walks down the driveway.

Just as Millie walks past the mail box and delivery man pulls up outside his house and steps out the van with a package in his heads.


MILLIE: He’s not home.

DELIVERY MAN: I have a recorded delivery for him.

Millie shrugs her shoulders.

MILLIE: Like I said he’s not in, I could sign for it and take to him if you like?

DELIVERY MAN: Uhm

MILLIE: Or, I could tell you where he possibly is?

DELIVERY MAN: Where might that be?

MILLIE: Possibly, a club down town.

DELIVERY MAN: Okay, I have to go that way anyway. Hey I do know you?

MILLIE:Frowns. Excuse me?

DELIVERY MAN: Chuckles. You were in that film with him!

MILLIE: Ohh, oh yeah I was.

DELIVERY MAN: Well I wouldn’t normally give it too anyone, but I know you know him.

Millie blushes.

DELIVERY MAN: Were you heading that way?

MILLIE: Yeah

DELIVERY MAN: Hop in then, I’ll give you a ride and you can take this package off my hands.

MILLIE: Thanks.

Millie smiles at the man and climbs into the van, waiting for the delivery man to get inside she looks around the van.

The delivery man hands her the pack and a piece of paper for her to sign.


DELIVERY MAN: If you don’t mind signing that please.

MILLIE: Signing her name. What is it anyway?

DELIVERY MAN: Oh just some script.

Shia enters the club that Millie used to work in, walks up to the bar, takes out a stool and sits down. He waves his hand towards Derek and signals he wants a drink.

DEREK: Shouting over the music. What can I get you?

SHIA: I’ll have a JD.

DEREK: Straight up?

Shia nods his head and pulls out his wallet ready. Derek walks off to the side, preparing Shia’s drink. Few seconds later Derek thrust the drink onto the bar, in front of Shia. Shia hands over the money and waits for his change.

SHIA: How much do you know about Millie Dale?

DEREK: Slides Shia’s change on the bar in front of him. Not a lot.

SHIA: Come on, you were her boss, you must know something.

Derek looks uneasy. He holds his hands up in the air and backs off a little.

DEREK: Like you said, I was her boss, I don’t pass around ex staff information.

Shia looks away from Derek and gazes around the club, looking at the dancers.

SHIA: How much for a one on one?

Derek follows Shia’s gaze, focusing on the dancing girls. Both men turn back to face each other, Shia waits for an answer.

DEREK: Depends who were you looking at?

SHIA: The cheapest girl, but I’ll pay the highest girls price.

DEREK:Raises and eyebrow. Wouldn’t it make sense to have the highest price girl then?

SHIA: Ignoring Derek’s question. Which girl is the cheapest?

DEREK: Nodding towards a girl dancing on the small podium, with a small crowd at her feet. The one in red. She’s a shy girl, but knows her stuff. It’s rare she ever accepts one on ones though.

Shia downs his drink and slides it back to Derek, signaling for another.

SHIA: How long has she been here?

DEREK: Refilling Shia’s glass. A little over a year.

Shia continues to look over the girl dressed in a matching red laced pieced set, stocking’s adoring her legs, blood red platform heels strapped to her feet making her appear a lot taller than she actually is.

SHIA: You say she’s shy, how shy?

DEREK: Slides Shia’s freshly made drink over to him. Oh she’s not that shy, she gets on well with all the girls, mostly Mills though, just sometimes she can get pretty shy on stage, whether it’s an act or not I’m not sure.

Derek laughs as he watches over the girl, watching her dance as he figures out her act. Shia looks back at Derek, picks up his drink and downs it again.

SHIA: Hands over his empty glass. What’s her name?

DEREK: Emily.

SHIA: Pretty.

DEREK: She is.

Derek pours out yet another JD and slides it back to Shia. Derek leaves the half empty bottle of JD by Shia.

SHIA: How much?

DEREK: For Emily’s time? $2,500.

SHIA: Is that top rate price, or her price?

DEREK: Top rate.

Shia picks up his glass, downs the harsh liquid and licks his lips. His eyes still fixated on Emily he nods his head.

SHIA: I’ll give you $5,000 for the whole night.

DEREK: $6,000

SHIA: Looks at Derek with an eyebrow raised. $5,500

DEREK: $6,000.

SHIA: Okay $6,000, but I don’t want any interruptions.

Derek nods his head.

SHIA: Under any circumstances.

DEREK: She’s all yours, for the whole night.

Shia doesn’t respond, instead he turns back round to the bar and pours himself another drink.

DEREK: Eyeing Shia over.Shall I charge for the whole bottle too?

Again Shia doesn’t answer. He pulls out his wallet from his back pocket and pulls out a bundle of notes, slapping them down on the bar in front of him. Derek’s eyes widen at the money.

SHIA: I’ll take another bottle, you can keep the change.

Derek nods his head and picks up the bundle of notes, stuffing them straight into his back pocket. He pulls out another bottle of JD from behind the counter in the fridge and places it on the bar before Shia. No more words are spoken between the too as Derek walks off and out of the bar.

Shia watches Derek as he calls Emily to the side of the small stage, quickly exchanging words Emily looks in Shia’s direction. Shia smiles casually back at Emily, seeing her nod, both Derek and Emily go behind stage.

Shia picks up the nearly empty bottle of JD and places it to his lips, his eyes stuck on the back of the stage, he downs the drink and puts the empty bottle back down on the bar. Picking up the new bottle of JD he gets up off the stool and heads towards the back stage doors.

Derek spots Shia’s arrival and signals him to come over.


DEREK: Down the corridor, last room on the left. You’re lucky she accepted, it’s a rare occasion.

Shia nods his head and walks past Derek, heading straight towards Emily’s room.

DEREK: Shouting at Shia. Have fun kid.

Shia gently knocks on the door softy.

EMILY: Shouting from the other side of the door. Come
in.

Shia twists the knob and pushes the door open, his body following the movements. Once inside he quickly closes the door behind him and looks around the room.

EMILY: I’ll be out in a sec.

Shia waits patiently as he glances round the room. A king sized bed covered in red satin sheets, a dark oak wood dresser covers the back wall, a mirror hung in the middle with various bottles of perfume and makeup surrounding the top and a royal red oak wood stool stood in front of the dresser to match.

Quickly opening the bottle of whiskey, Shia chugs down a mouthful before screwing the lid back into place.


EMILY: Walking out of the en-suite, smiling at Shia. Hey.

SHIA:Clearing his throat. Hey.

Emily smiles warmly at Shia, excited that she has been chosen to entertain Shia Labeouf, over every other girl, automatically gives her a her confidence boost.

Her eyes dart towards the bed, then back to Shia, then towards the whiskey bottle he is holding. She begins to wonder what to do.


SHIA: Chuckling Derek was right, you are shy.

MILLIE: Smiling softly. Can you blame me?

SHIA: Well, why don’t we loosen you up a little?

Shia slowly walks towards Emily, stopping inches in front of her he twists the cap off the bottle of whiskey and places it down on the dresser. He picks up two glasses and pours the harsh liquid equally into them. Twisting the bottle cap back on the bottle, Shia picks up the two glasses and hands one to Emily.

Emily’s cheeks turn a slight shade of red as she takes the glass from Shia. Shia smiles reassuringly and downs the drink, Emily watches his actions and does the same, her face scrunches slightly at the taste.

Shia chuckles and pours another drink for them both.


SHIA: Why don’t you take a seat, I’d hate it for you to stand around in those heels all night, your feet must be killing?

Emily nods her head and walks over to the bed, sitting on the edge she places her hands in her lap.

Shia sits next to her, handing her another drink.

Emily puts the glass to her lips, getting ready to down it.


SHIA: Holds out his hand, stopping Emily. Not so fast, we have all night.

Emily nods her head and takes a small sip.

SHIA: How long have you been working here?

EMILY: A little over a year.

SHIA: So you know everyone well then?

EMILY: Takes another sip of her drink. Yeah pretty well.

Shia slides closer to Emily, closing the space between them.

Emily’s cheeks flush a darker color.


SHIA: How’d you come to work in a place like this?

Emily gulps slightly, her nerves starting to hit her. Shia Labeouf a celebrity an idol, is sitting inches from her.

EMILY: The money’s good.

SHIA: How much do you usually make a night?

EMILY: $1000.

SHIA: Why is it you accepted my offer? I heard its rarity.

Emily doesn’t answer, instead she downs the rest of her drink and requests another.

Shia picks up the bottle of Jack, and pours it into both their glasses. Handing her her glass, Emily downs it without hesitation.


EMILY: Why wouldn’t I accept your offer?

Shia smirks as he nods his head.

EMILY: But, if you don’t mind me asking, aren’t you involved with Millie?

Shia chokes on his drink at the mention of Millie and frowns.

SHIA: What made you say that?

EMILY: Shrugs her shoulders. We used to talk from time to time, when she worked here.

SHIA: She said we were together?

EMILY: No. Laughs lightly. Everyone knows your ‘romantically involved’ with Felicity Andrews.

SHIA: Not anymore.

A smile tugs at Emly's lips.

SHIA: How much do you know about Millie?

EMILY: Are you together?

SHIA: Shakes his head. How much do you know.

EMILY: Why are you so interested?

SHIA: Tell me what you know.

Emily raises an eyebrow at Shia, sensing her un-comfort he sighs and looks away.

SHIA: I’m sorry, I just need to know why she is, where she is.

EMILY: Why do you need you to know?

Shia bites his lip and looks back at Emily, staring straight into her eyes, he prepares to lie.

SHIA: Her mother got in touch with me, she’s worried about her.

EMILY: Shaking her head. She wouldn’t.

SHIA: Why?

EMILY: Releasing a sigh. She’s the reason she is how she is.

SHIA: What do you mean?

EMILY: Her mom’s an addict.

SHIA: Her mom?
EMILY: Yeah, all through Millie’s life I’ve heard.

Shia stops and thinks, the syringe he saw earlier, wasn’t Millie’s but in fact her mothers.

He takes the empty glass from Emily’s hand and walks back to the dresser, one again filling their glasses with the last big of Jack, he sits back down next to Emily and hands her a drink.


SHIA: Staring ahead of him.I didn’t know.

EMILY: It’s not something you’d tend to share.

Shia chugs his drink and turns back to Emily, shuffling closer to her. He traces his fingertips over Emily’s cheekbone as his hand softly glides towards the back of her head, threading his fingers in her auburn curled hair.

SHIA: Whispering. Thank you.

Shia’s looks into Emily’s eyes, darting from her eyes to her lips. Emily leans into Shia’s touch as he continuously runs his hands through her curls.

Shia closes the tiny bit of gap they have between then and closes his eye softly, pressing his lips gently to hers.

Emily looses herself in the kiss and flutters her eyes closed, all thoughts escaping from her mind, she runs a hand over Shia’s shoulder, snaking it towards his neck.

Shia and Emily pull away from each other, smiling softly at one another, Emily’s eyes suddenly land behind Shia, causing him to turn around.

Millie stands at the doorway, looking between Shia and Emily.


SHIA: Millie-

Millie turns on her heel and walks out the door, closing it behind her, she quickly makes her way down the hall.

Shia runs a hand over his face as he shakes his head. He steps up, says goodbye to Emily and runs after Millie.


SHIA: Millie!

Shia’s please go unanswered as Millie runs through the back stage exit, out into the cold street, she stops against the side wall and trembles to her feet.

Shia bustles through the exit door and stops running upon seeing Millie crouching on the floor. With his breathing heavy he steps in front of Millie and crouches down to her level.


SHIA: Why didn’t you tell me?

Millie wraps her arms around her body and closes her eyes, ignoring Shia’s question.

SHIA: Why didn’t you tell me your mom is an addict?

MILLIE: Forgive me for not having chance, as you ran out on me, obviously not wanting to miss your appointment with Emily.

SHIA: Begins to stutter. I saw the needle and assumed-

MILLIE: Well you assumed wrong. Did you have a good time with her? Filling her with alcohol so she’ll tell you anything you desire, leading her on with your ‘Shia Labeouf’ method, taking advantage of the poor girl.

SHIA: What?

MILLIE: Don’t play dumb Shia.

SHIA: I don’t know what-

MILLIE: Raising her voice. Emily!

SHIA: I needed to know-

MILLIE: So you used an ex work colleague? If you’d have waited for me, I would have told you myself.

SHIA: I didn’t-

MILLIE: But no you decided to pay your way into a poor girls head, or should I say knickers?

Millie opens her eyes and stares back into Shia’s, she watches him as he opens and closes his mouth, trying to form words.

SHIA: I didn’t use her-

MILLIE: I saw you.

SHIA: Saw what?

MILLIE: You kissed her.

Shia chuckles and shakes his head.

SHIA: It was nothing.

MILLIE: Didn’t seem like it.

Shia cups Millie’s cheeks in his hand an gazes into her eyes.

SHIA: It was nothing.

MILLIE: Looking away from Shia. You don’t even have to explain.

Millie stands up and pushes past Shia. She roughly shoves the script into his arms.

SHIA: Millie-

MILLIE: Don’t talk to me, don’t contact me, don’t hire an agent. As far as I’m concerned Shia, you and I don’t exist, we never even met.

Millie walks past Shia and down the alley, Shia watches her as she hails a taxi and gets inside.

SHIA: Millie!

Millie takes one last look at Shia and closes the door behind her.

CABBIE: Where to Miss?

MILLIE: Home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback?
Please :)