Drained

Chapter 9- Confronted

Fabian

I had to change my T-shirt and jeans because my prey had been more feisty than usual. He was almost halfway drained when he got an unusual burst of adrenaline and pushed me away. This caught me by surprise and I had to take a step back to catch my balance. His energy didn’t last very long and he quickly slumped back down in his chair, but that miniature struggle caused some of his blood to drip and seep into my clothes. I was almost full so such a small amount really wouldn’t have made that much of a difference, but my dark side felt a slight ping of sadness while I watched the blood dry into my clothes as I finished him off.

We were leaving for our next location when the sun rose, so I decided to find a nice grassy spot to relax and think. I settled on a place close to a small creek. I lay down and looked up at the sky. It was a beautiful night. Stars littered the area above me and thin clouds accented the scenery in a picture perfect atmosphere. The light trickle of the creek in the otherwise deaf field was enough to send my mind wandering. I could hear the water rushing and leaping over the small rocks in their dance towards the ocean. I could smell the reeds and grass and it had a calming effect on me.

I was just about to doze off in the sweet grass when I heard the sound of shoes stepping into a deep mud patch in the direction of the creek. I leapt up onto my feet and scanned the area. I couldn’t see anyone but I could sense a presence. I quickly readied myself for a surprise attack, when I saw a tall dark figure appear from behind a tree on the other side of the creek.

The wind whipping through the tree grabbed a hold on the strange figure’s scent and brought it towards me. The scent clicked in my mind like a missing puzzle piece and I realized that it was another male vampire. I immediately crouched and twisted my mouth into a snarl, showing my newly lengthened canines. We vampires are very territorial when it comes to our hunting grounds. I had no need to hunt the humans in this area because my meals were always brought to me, but I was sure that he wouldn’t know that. He may have thought I was trespassing. It’s the same with werewolves. The only reason we are considered mortal enemies is because we feed and urge for the same thing. We are completely contented with each other until are conflicted in matters concerning out hunting territory.

The dark figure raised his hands up in peace. “Please Fabian, I’m only here to talk.” His velvet voice wasn’t raised, but it seemed to cut through the air with a sharpness of authority. My mouth relaxed and my scarlet eyes narrowed in confusion. “How do you know my name?” I straightened out of my crouch, but kept slightly tense.

“I’ve been watching you a for a few days Fabian Forbode, making sure that they haven’t got to you yet. Forbode, not the name I would have chosen. But, it’s your choice.” He moved out from under the shadow of the tree and revealed himself. Dark hair and luminescent green eyes accented his sharp face. He was tall, lean, and very poised. His clothes were casual, but the way he wore them made them look professional enough for an interview. He looked young, which suggested that he was infected in his early twenties, but the level of maturity and depth to him that I sensed told me that he had been around for a while.

“Quite a cushy little life you have here. Being able to saturate your dark half’s thirst for blood, while fulfilling your light half’s search for a more peaceful and just world. You must feel quite happy and balanced here Fabian. I’ve seen your show. A couple times to be honest. You are the most convincing act. Then again, all the others are cheap parlor tricks. You’re like the vampire world’s David Copperfield.”

I chuckled under my breath and moved a little closer to him, still separating us with the creek. “The only problem with your complement is that David Copperfield is a cheap act as well.”

He smirked in a way that made me question my previous statement. “You’d think so, wouldn’t you.”

“There are no such thing as wizards or witches. They are just made beings that were created to help explain the unexplainable.” I argued playfully.

“Of course there are no such things as wizards. But there are mortals who are more in tune with their own Power than others. Humans think that all their Power is due to adrenaline, because when someone is very scared or put into a tough situation, their adrenaline levels rise and they can do extraordinary things. Like lift cars off people, or run extremely fast. In reality, the Power that everyone possesses is completely different from adrenaline. Adrenaline is the chemical that is produced, but it’s the Power itself that allows people to do those amazing things. David Copperfield is more in tune with his Power than any other human I have seen to this date. He has been able to mold his Power to do things I’ve never seen before. When we are infected, our Power rises to infinite levels, which gives us our strength and speed. There are also vampires I’ve seen who could manipulate objects and even people with their Power. Quite amazing if you think about it.”

“Yeah? Thanks for the info, but I still don’t know who you are?” His fangs hadn’t grown any and his eyes hadn’t changed as far as I had seen, so he wasn’t in it for a fight but this guy was starting to creep me out.

He sighed and chuckled, “Oh yes, how rude of me. My name is Lucas, Lucas Walker.” He bowed slightly at the waist in an introductory gesture.

“Walker, huh. Too generic for you I think.” I could feel the mood softening as the banter continued. My fangs began to recede and I knew that my eyes were melting back to their piercing blue. “Is it your real name or a pseudonym?”

“You’re right, it is a pseudonym. But I actually don’t have a real name. I have to change it every few decades or so. Anyway, back to business. I didn’t come here just to make light conversation.” His tone changed to one of complete seriousness.

“I wouldn’t expect anything less of you.” I replied.

“You are in grave danger.” I was just about to interrupt when he held up his hand. I immediately stopped myself. I think he used some of his Power to do that because I have never been silenced before. I am one who, even as a human, was always able to speak his mind.

He saw that I was completely transformed back into my calm state, so he leapt over the creek and walked towards me. “My brother’s and I have received information that Nothing’s are assembling once again. We have had problems with them in the past and it’s unfortunate that we have to deal with them so soon. We have word that they have been scouting nomads to join them and overthrow the light vampire’s rein of the world.”

“What are Nothing’s and why is this even important?” I was beginning to get slightly aggravated. “As I was trying to say before you voodooed me, I can take care of myself. Even in my weakest I have never been defeated!”

“Well, come on then. If you’re so certain, try and pin me.” He taunted with a grin.

“What? You want me to… Alright then.” I crouched once again and ran my tongue over my now growing canines. I eyed him curiously as I stood battle ready while he was still calmly positioned a few paces from me. His eyes ever vigilant, but not changing into the deep red I was expecting. He was so calm. I leapt toward him, giving myself extra height so I could jump over him and take him from behind. A battle tactic I had learned many years ago and it helped me drastically when I had to fend for my own meals.

It was as if he saw me coming. Moving at a lightening fast pace I made the jump, but as soon as I was eye level with him, he reached out with more speed than I could ever have imagined and grabbed me by the throat. The grip itself was light, but the strength behind it was bone crushing. Without even breaking a sweat (metaphorically speaking, vampires cannot sweat), he turned his wrist, plucking me from my place in the air, and threw me head first to the ground creating a miniature fissure upon impact.

I realized when I woke up that my limbs were lazily contorted in obscene angles, but nothing was broken. I lolled my head to the side and opened my eyes. My head pounded from the blow and I ached all over. My vision was fuzzy, but I was able to make out a shape crouched near my head. “Wow!” I slurred. “You can really pack it in there.”

Lucas laughed and offered me his hand. I accepted it and he helped me into a sitting position. My head felt heavy as lead and my eyes drooped along with my dizziness. “Here, this will help.” Lucas pointed over to the other side of me. There, lying on the grass was a fox with a freshly broken neck. “I held onto it until I saw you stirring. I didn’t want to offer you something which was cold, clotted, and beginning to settle.”

I grabbed the fox and clamped onto its neck. It was fresh. I drank it dry and I immediately could feel the remedy taking effect. I stood up, no longer dizzy or discombobulated, and disposed of the carcass in some nearby reeds. I could hear the soft padding of a gray wolf nearby, so it was comforting to know that it wouldn’t go to waste.

Normally, I wouldn’t make my way back to talk to a guy who just kicked my ass, but obviously there was something he needed to get across to me if he was willing to put me in my place to do it. There were no more aches as I made my way back towards Lucas. My body was completely healed, but my pride was dwindled down to a mere nub of what it once was.

Lucas smiled as he saw me coming. “Are you ready to listen to me now. He was seated with his legs crossed on the grass. I joined him and nodded. I wasn’t in a mood to argue anymore.

“Now that you’ve had a taste of what I can do. It may come as a shock to learn that compaired to many Nothing’s, I’m considered quite weak.”

He could see in my eyes that I already had a question and he nodded his head in approval. “But, you didn’t even shift out your calm form to take me down. I can’t even imagine how strong you are when your Power is at its full potential. And, I still don’t know what Nothings are.”

He smiled, “Oh yes, I forgot. You are of course aware of how Light and Nothing created the world we live in, correct?” I nodded. “Well, then I’m sure you can assume what Nothings are. Nothing, is the pet name for a dark vampire. Same with Lights. My brother’s and I have information that Nothings are trying to take over our rule as the world’s balance of power. If you are unaware, Lights are for the freedom and peace of humans and vampires, Nothings on the other hand, believe that since we were originally created as trumps over humans, that they should become our mortal slaves. Willing to risk their lives in matters of war, sustenance, and just plain old fun.”

“In all of my existence as a vampire, I have never even heard of this!” I said alarmingly.

“It’s a silent war, or at least we are trying to keep it that way. The last time Nothings tried to over throw us almost 660 years ago, they created a massive army. Their downfall was due to the fact that their armies were created almost entirely of newborn vampires. They traveled the world, taking humans away from their friends and family and infecting them with the disease.” He shook is head, like he was remembering an old friend who had passed away.

“Their headquarters at the time was in Europe, which is where the humans were impacted the most. The humans called it the Black Death, better known as the Black Plague. At the time, there actually was a bacterium that caused the Black Plague, but not everyone who was thought to have caught it, actually had it. I conducted a little experiment of my own when this all started and was surprised to find that to the naked eye, the Yersinia pestis bacterium is almost completely identical to the bacteria that causes vampirism and the symptoms were similar. Swelling of the lymph nodes to fight off the infection, shakes and sweats, you get my point. Scientists back then no doubtably collected blood samples from those afflicted with the Black Plague, but they also unknowingly collected samples from humans who had been infected by vampires. Thinking that the two bacteria were one and the same, they called it a massive pandemic. Once the bodies were dead or ‘dead’ as the infected cases may be, Nothings would steal them away from their shallow graves and bring them together. The newborns were taught a few simple fighting tactics, and were then sent off to war.”

It was as if I was a little child listening to his Father telling him a story. I was so entranced by the fact that he had been around to witness and fight in this type of battle. “Well, obviously you guys won. Right?”

He smiled sadly, “Yes, we did win. The newborns were inexperienced and still trying to get over the initial shock of becoming vampires. We were able to take them down easily. I hated fighting innocents, but if we hadn’t, there would be an over population of vampires in the world today, humans would be extinct, and the world would be in ruin.”

“Wow, that’s really… intense!” I replied. “Now, I know you didn’t come all this way and beat me up just so you could warn me. What’s going on Lucas?” I was beginning to feel a sense of dread.

Lucas’s sense of purpose caused him to sit slightly straighter. “Nothings only start trying to take over when they believe they have enough evidence to suggest that the ‘messiah’ is returning in the form of a Nothing. Lights believe the same thing, except in reverse. When the demons collided in the clearing all those years ago, we wanted, no needed to know if the missing demon was Light or Nothing. If they have reason to believe that a Nothing is coming, we have more trouble ahead. Recently, there have been more sudden disappearances, but not with humans, with other vampires. I’ve mentioned that they have been scouting nomads, but what I didn’t tell you was the force behind it. When I say scouting, I actually mean hunting down. They follow you in groups of three or four, corner you, assault and batter you worse than I just did, and then they give you a choice. Join them in their immortal army and be apart of the dark rein, or they destroy you. Their problem before wasn’t lack of numbers, but that of experience. They have learned from that and are fixing it right as we speak.”

Just then, I was glad to have run into Lucas before running into some Nothing jerk. If I had, my attitude would have me beaten close to death, and then finished off without knowing the whole story. Lucas had the courtesy enough to feed and heal me after our fight. He even took the time to sit down and explain things to me. For all he knew, I could completely ignore his proposal and fend for myself, which was already proven that I wouldn’t stand a chance against one of them, let alone three or four. He seemed completely contented with the fact that I might not even accept or believe what he was telling me. That type of attitude was what made me trust him.

Lucas continued, “There are charred bodies that have recently been found around Europe. Human tabloids are saying that it is the work of a serial killer, but I know a vampire who knows a vampire in the coroner’s office. They inspected the bodies and alerted me that these burns were not caused by flames, but from the sun. There are always traces of other foreign objects when it involves burns from an actual fire that are never found on charred vampires. That, and the fact that vampires smell a little different than humans when they are cooked.”

I looked at him questioningly when he said ‘cooked’. He laughed, not at the situation, but at my expression.

“Yes, this scent cannot be detected by humans, but to vampires, it’s as different as detecting a fine perfume from a sewer. Humans smell more… how do I put it… barbecue-like than vampires do. Vampires smell more… flowery. That’s really all I can describe it as, unless you’ve ever smelled it yourself?”

I shook my head. I have never wanted to smell a burning corpse, but this was beginning to sound a little interesting. In a sick, pyromaniac way.

“Since the bodies are turning up around the same areas where the humans first started to disappear, we have reason to believe that they are using the same headquarters as before and have decided to start close to home. I have been given the job to locate, encounter, and explain the danger to any vampires I come across. My brother’s have all headed back to their homelands and are doing the exact same thing. You are my lucky number one.” Lucas smiled at his little joke.

“So what does this mean? Do I sit here and wait for them to find me? Don’t get me wrong, I love power and control, but with them I’d just end up being some overlord’s lackey!” I argued.

“I’m here to give you an offer that will both protect you benefit you at the same time. I am Dean at the University of Wisconsin. I am willing to take you and hide you at the university. While you are there, you will be enrolled in regular classes with regular students, and live in a regular dorm. Nothings will never suspect that we would hide vampires so openly, or expose them to that much light. Your vampiric needs will be taken care of, not to mention that the protection for both you and the other students will be phenomenal! I’m offering you a chance to further your education as well as offer you safety.”

He took out a small notepad and pencil that were hidden in his pant’s pocket and quickly jotted something down. He handed me the torn slip of paper which I took. “That,” he said pointing at the paper as I read it, “is my cell number. Take all the time you want to decide, but may I remind you that time is running out before they find you, even if you are travelling along with the Hellian Fair. I was able to find you, so who’s to say they can’t.”

I stared at the ominous number on the slip of paper as Lucas started walking away. “Oh by the way Fabian.” Lucas mentioned turning around, “If you do decide to fend for yourself, I would really appreciate if you would burn that slip of paper. Just so that it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.” He smiled a goodbye and disappeared behind that tall grass.

His rustling his footsteps made in the grass slowly died away. I must have seemed like a stunned animal, standing alone in the clearing. I looked back towards my trailer at the Hellian Fair. I remembered all they had done for me, and what I had given them in return. Paul would be furious if I left, but doubted I would ever see him again. I looked once more at the pencil drawn number, stuffed it in my pocket and followed scent that Lucas had trailed behind him.

I was ready to run as fast as I could to catch up to him when I noticed a familiar figure not too far up ahead of me. “Lucas?” I asked. He turned and smiled at me. “But, how did you know?” I questioned.

Lucas smiled. “Just intuition.” He replied. I took out the now folded piece of paper from my pocket and handed it back to him. Lucas pulled out a small blue lighter and set the corner on fire. We watched as it dwindled away into a pile of dust and ash and flew away in the wind. I followed Lucas back to his waiting car just a few minutes ahead, letting the sun rise over the tents and trailers which was once considered my home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have to apologize to my subscribers. I AM SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG TO UPDATE!!! I know you're all thinking, "well geeze it's about time!" And I'm sorry for that. I've been really busy this summer with contests I entered and with family vacations that I was only able to write two or three paragraphs here and there. My plans once I get back into the swing of things are to update at least once a week, not this 'after two months junk'. Once again. I'm sorry, please forgive me and I'd like to hear what you think. I think this is one of my favourite chapters so far because it has my favourite line in it.

Please comment :)

Forgive me