If I Fall Forever, Will You Be There To Catch Me?

Grieving

Do I own Kingdom Hearts? No. I don’t. Do I wish I did? Yes. Very much. But I don’t.
-
There I lay, on the cold floor, silently. Staring at the ceiling. Thinking. Slowly thinking.

“Come on out, Nami!! The weather is perfect!!” I heard Sora call out from outside the Shack.

“No!” I yelled back. I hate the sun. They love it. Not the best combo for best friends.

“Please!?” He whined. I sighed, clearly aggravated. I walked to my stereo and turned it on, full volume.

~Outside~

“What’s wrong Sora?” Kairi asked as Sora slumped past her.

“She turned on her music.” He answered, half-heartedly.

“Oh... Well, then that means there is no way we can get her out here.” She shook her head and sat down on the sand, the waves splashing against her feet.

“Sometimes I wish she could be more like you. You know, fun, happy, cheerful, never afraid to show her true self.”

“Thanks, Sora. I wish that, too.” Kairi laughed to herself as she finished that sentence.

~Inside~

I pressed the buttons to get to my song by Drowning Pool. Then I put the volume as high as it could go.

“This is sure to scare the crap out of them.” I smirked.

Let the bodies hit the floor-
Let the bodies hit the floor-
Let the bodies hit the floor-
Let the bodies hit the... I air-drummed to this pause. Then bashed my head forward to

FLOOR!!!!

I cracked up as I stopped the music and looked out the window. Sora fell backwards and was covered with sand. Kairi was sitting with a vast amount of sand covering her from Sora’s fall. She had the most horrified expression ever. Even a hint of cluelessness was added to her face. That made me laugh more. I rushed outside to get a live view of the hilarious scene.

“Not funny, Nami!” Kairi shouted.

“Not to you!” I bursted out laughing again. Sora joined in on the laughing.

“Loosen up Kairi. At least she can handle a prank!”

“But, Sora...” Kairi stood there appalled. I stopped laughing and tilted my head.

“What’s up, Kairi?” I asked.

“Something we were just talking about.” She answered looking away.

“O...Kay...” I looked at Sora, who smiled sheepishly at me. “Anyways... Where’s Riku?”

“He’s training with Wakka. I think Selphie and Tidus are hanging out by the waterfall. Why do you ask?” Sora happily replied.

“Just wondering. He hasn’t been talking to me lately.” I looked at the blue sky, which looked like a picture perfect painting on a clear canvas. “The sky looks actually kind of nice today.”

“He hasn’t talked to you? You barely ever talk with any of us! Most of the time you’re inside listening to music or playing your guitar!” Kairi laughed.

“Well, a simple hi wouldn’t be so bad.” I smiled and closed my eyes. “I might go over to him and Wakka to just hang out and talk. Maybe listen to some music.” They rolled their eyes at the music comment.

“We aren’t surprised.” Kairi muttered.

“Don’t be.” I snickered.

“Hey Nami.” A smooth voice was right behind me. I opened one of my eyes and looked behind me to see Riku with a surf board.

Where the hell did he get that? It’s shinier than mine! I thought as I pouted. His body was a little wet and his abs glistened in the sunlight-- Wait, what am I thinking!? Was I honestly about to say that he looked hot!? No, no, no! He’s one of my best friends! I shook that thought out of my mind.

“H-Hey Riku.” I stuttered.

What’s wrong with me!? He’s not intimidating! Hot, maybe but-- NO! Bad Nami! Bad, bad, bad!!!

“Can I talk with you?” He looked at me with a serious expression. I tried to keep my cool and nonchalantly replied.

“Sure. What’s up?”

“No, I mean in private.” I tensed a little.

“Okay.” I got up and walked with him to the other side of the shore. “Is something wrong?”

“No.” He stopped and turned to face the water. “Do you remember where you came from?”

“No, not really. Is that a bad thing?”

“Do you remember when you arrived here on Destiny Islands?”

“Well, yeah. It was a year ago. Y’know, when I was 15. I woke up on the beach in the middle of the night.”

“Do you remember losing anything?”

“Besides my memory, no.”

“What about this?” Riku held up a small locket with a gold chain. The locket was a gold heart with ‘Nami’ inscribed on the front side. I put my hands up to hold the locket part.

“Where’d you get this?” I asked, amazed.

“I took it from around your neck when I found you to learn more about you. I also wanted to see if your memory was good enough to realize it was missing.” He shyly looked away. I looked up to see his expression. It was different. “I’m sorry for not telling you.”

“Don’t be. It’s probably just some old family trinket.” I looked down back at the locket and saw a small keyhole on the other side. “Did I have the key?”

“No. I spent hours every day since then trying to forge a key for it, but none worked. Not even the perfect one. It remained a mystery, as did you.”

“Thanks Riku.” I took the locket and hugged him.

“Thanks?”

“Yeah. Thanks for trying to help me. In technical terms.” He hesitantly hugged back. “It’s a good thing you’re my best friend here.”

“I am?”

“Yeah! Of course, why does that surprise you?”

“I never thought you even wanted to be my acquaintance.”

“You are so naïve!” I pulled away and smiled at him. “Still, you are the smartest one here.”

“Hey!” I heard Sora call from a far distance.

“Sora!!” I called out laughing. “Evesdropper!”

“It’s okay. He’s just jealous.” Riku smirked as we heard Sora’s response.

“Am not!!!”

This is perfect. I am so glad I was washed up here. We walked back to the other two to see Wakka and Selphie standing by them.

“Hey, Selphie. Where’s Tidus?”

“We thought you would know, since you’re always the one who beats him at sparring.” Wakka answered before Selphie could get a chance to talk.

“Yeah!” Selphie added. “Don’t you know where he is?”

“Wasn’t he with you?” Sora asked.

“Well, yeah. But after I mentioned what Wakka said about the secret cave, he left. I didn’t know where.” I sighed and slapped my forehead.

“Common sense, Selphie.” I muttered. “Maybe he’s in the secret cave you told him about.” I tried to not show my frustration. She perked up.

“Yeah!! Nice job, Nami!” She ran back to the waterfall area.

“Ugh,” Wakka began, “Sometimes I wonder if she really is a fourteen year old.” He slowly trudged towards Selphie.

“Maybe she’s just a five year old in a fourteen year old’s body.” I said, blankly. I realized I said it when the other’s laughed.

“Yeah,” Kairi agreed, “and maybe you’re a forty year old in a sixteen year old’s body.” I grimaced.

“And what about you Miss I’m-Too-Perfect-To-Confess-My-Feelings? You sure you’re not a ten year old?” I snapped back.

“Yeah!” She scowled at me. “Maybe you are just a bratty sixteen year old, Miss How-About-I-Shut-Out-The-World-And-All-Of-My-Friends-In-It?!”

“Ha! I’m surprised you could actually say that, Miss I’m-Better-Than-Everyone-Else-So-I’ll-Act-Like-It!”

“Oh ho, so we’re starting that, now are we?!”

~In the background~ ((3rd Person))

“Who knew Kairi could get so mad?” Sora asked, staring at the two girls in front of him arguing and glaring at each other.

“Who knew Nami could be so hot?” Riku was also staring wide-eyed at the two girls, but mostly at Nami. Then, embarrassment hit his ego when it told him what he just said.

“What?” Sora said, trying not to laugh.

“I, uh, nothing. I said nothing. At all. Nope.” Riku denied everything.

“Yeah, sure, whatever.” Sora laughed once and then caught a glimpse of Riku’s ‘I’m gonna rip off your face if you don’t shut up’ glare and completely shut up.

~Back to the Girls~ ((Nami’s PoV))

“...Prep!” I yelled. She glared at me as her mouth gaped open.

“How dare you! Fine. GOTH!” She almost screamed that. I immediately backed down from the fight. It was partially true. Why? You ask? I answer to a lot of people, but I don’t have to answer to you.

“I see.” I said, straightening up my blank tank top. I looked away, swallowed, and silently walked back to the shack. I was by the door when I heard Sora calling out to me.

“Wait, Nami!” I ignored him, shut my eyes, and slammed the shack door before he could reach me. I put my chair in-between the door knob and floor to lodge it shut. I smoothly walked over to my stereo and turned it back on, as loud as it was before. Except, another band was playing. And it was a more depressing tune. Something along the lines of Three Days Grace or Seether. Maybe even Switchfoot. Actually, I think it was the Fray.

Oh, who even cares?

I was lying down on the floor, half of my upper body leaning against the table on which my stereo rested. I closed my eyes and got lost in the music. That’s what it does to me. I can live my whole life just listening to music, and not mind one bit. Yeah. Until someone randomly turns it off.

My eyes shot opened as I shouted, “Hey! I was listening to that!” I quickly got up and turned around to see Riku. “Oh. How’d you get in here?” I nodded towards the chair.

“The back door by the waterfall.” He calmly answered. I stood there, dumbfounded.

“Oh.” I whispered.

“What’s wrong?” He walked closer to me.

“Nothing.”

“Yes, there is something.”

“Nope. Nothing at all. I’m perfectly fine.”

“No, you aren’t. You can tell me anything, Nami.” He looked serious, even though earlier he didn’t even think we were friends.

“I just don’t like being called goth, so I left. Nothing other than that.”

“Why are you in here, then?”

“Because I can be, that’s why.”

“This must be your way of grieving.” He quietly said that to himself as he walked around, observing the condition of the run-down shack.

“No! Maybe. Okay, FINE! It is my way of grieving. So what?”

“Just saying.” Sora bursted into the room panting heavily. Riku and I just stood there staring at him with weirded out expressions.

“Those seagulls... Are MEAN when they are angry!” He explained.

“Okay...” I slowly replied. He regained his cool and stood upright. He sighed in relief and looked at me.

“You okay?”

“Ugh.” I groaned out. “I’m fine, Sora.”

“No you aren’t.” I glared at him, then switched my view to Riku, who was smirking at me.

“Okay, okay. I’m in here grieving because she called me goth. Big whoop.” He looked at me unbelievingly. “What?”

“You actually care about what she says?”

“Sometimes... If it involves stereotypes, then yes.”

“That’s a side of you I’ve never seen.” He shook his head in disbelief and walked forward.

“Let’s head home and call it a night. I’m tired and it’s getting pretty late.” He yawned.

“Okay.” I grabbed my stereo and kicked the chair out from under the door. “Let’s go.”

“Pushy, Pushy.” Riku muttered as he walked out. I mocked him, going ‘nah nah nah’ in a funny voice. Sora laughed a little while Riku just rolled his eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
CHAPTER 1 COMPLETE!! xD