Your Guardian Angel

Chapter 16: Life or Death?

The light started to suck me in more and more. I fought as hard as I could; I did not know what was happening to me, but I knew it was nothing good. I tried to run away from the light but Josh grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

“What are you doing?” he asked. “I want you to come with me into the light.”
He pulled me in farther. “Riley, all this time, I have missed you so much. I just want to be able to hold you in my arms again. If you come with me, we will be able to be together again. Isn’t that what you’ve wanted ever since I died?”

A surge of electricity shot through my body over and over again. I felt myself getting weaker and weaker as my heartbeat got slower and slower. It was then that I knew that I was dying.

The voice rang through my head again. “Come on, Riles. Come back to me. I know you can do it,” it whispered. I knew I had to find some way to come back to that voice. I fought the pain as hard as I could, but to no avail. I was getting weaker and weaker by the second and I was scared to death (no pun intended).

No, Riley! I thought to myself. You can’t let yourself die. You have to find some way out of it. You can’t leave Jesse behind; you have to fight this as hard as you can. Fight for your life like crazy and never give up. You aren’t ready to die just yet; you have too much to live for.

I gathered up all the strength I could muster and tried to run from the light, but Josh caught my arm and violently pushed me back towards the light.

“Oh no, you’re not going anywhere!”

“Josh, please let me go!” I pleaded.

“I don’t ever want to be separated from you again. I need you to stay here with me. I can’t be away from you any more.”

“Josh…” I gasped; I could barely breathe. “I…love you, but…I’m…not ready to die…yet. I…don’t want to leave…Jesse. I…love him too much. If you love me… like you say you do, you will…let me go. The Josh I…used to know…would…want me to be happy. You have to let me…go.”

“I don’t have to do anything. I want you to stay here with me.”

“If you don’t…let me go, I will never…forgive you. You are being…so selfish. You…want me to die so that you can be…with me when you know that I am in love…with someone else now. How could you…do this…to me?”

“Love is a powerful thing. It can make you do a lot of things; it can even make you go a little crazy.”

When he said this, I struggled with all the strength I had to get away from him. I ran and I never stopped running until I lost my strength completely and gave in to the inevitable.