Your Guardian Angel

Chapter 18: Returning to the Real World

I woke up the next morning around 10:30AM feeling like a new person; my energy and spirits were completely renewed. I was given a second chance at life and was not about to throw it all away. This experience has helped me to realize that life is precious and I will never know when it might end and that I can never take anything for granted ever again because I don’t know when I might lose it. I decided to write everything that has happened to me these past few weeks down on paper so that I would never forget it.

I called for the nurse to bring me some breakfast at about 11:00AM. It felt like it has been half past forever since the last time I had eaten and I was as hungry as a dog. Don’t get me wrong, the doctors hooked me up to an IV when I was in a coma, but they only fill the IV so often and I like to eat a lot. I felt like I was about to starve to death and it made me realize how very necessary food is to the human body. It felt good to fill myself up with something that wasn’t air.

A few minutes after I finished my breakfast, I heard a knock at my door and looked up to see who it was. “Come in!” I shouted as soon as I saw that it was my parents. As soon as they entered the room, they came over to the bed, gave me a kiss good morning and sat down on either side of the bed.

“How are you feeling, Sweetie?” my mother asked.

“I think I’m feeling a lot better,” I replied.

“Good, I’m so glad,” my dad said. “You seem a lot more yourself today.”

“That’s because I feel a lot more myself. How is everyone else doing?”

“They are all at the hotel sleeping,” said Mom. “None of us were able to get any sleep while you were in a coma. That’s why they aren’t here right now. We were all really worried.”

“I’m sorry I worried you,” I said.

“Oh, Honey, it’s not your fault,” said Dad. “No one was expecting something like that to happen.”

“Yeah, but I should have been wearing a seatbelt.”

“Maybe so, but it’s not your fault that someone ran a stop sign at the wrong time,” said Dad.

“At least you will know better for next time to wear your seatbelt,” Mom tried to joke.

“Yeah, I guess,” I sighed.

“You have to stop blaming yourself; it’s not your fault,” said Dad.

“I’ll try, but it’s hard.”

“Honey, that drunk driver was the one that made the mistake, not you. You did nothing wrong. End of story.”

“I have a question,” I said.

“Shoot,” said Mom.

“Are we still moving?”

“Yes, as soon as you get out of the hospital,” answered Mom.

“Oh,” I said quietly.

“I’m sorry, Honey, but our family really needs the extra money right now. We can’t afford to send you to college without this money,” said Mom.

“I understand, but I really don’t want to move. I just wish we could figure out some other way…”

“We do too, Sweetie, but we can’t think of anything else.”

My parents staid for another hour, but then they decided to go back to the hotel they were staying at because they still had some things they had to straighten out before we moved.

Around 8:00 that night, Jesse came to visit. He came in and sat on the side of my bed.

“Hey, Sweetie,” he said, touching my cheek. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m feeling a lot better today, actually. But, one thing does still hurt a little.”

“What hurts?” Jesse asked, worriedly, “Did you tell the doctor?”

“My heart aches, but it’s not something the doctors can cure. It’s something that no one can cure. My parents told me today that we are moving right after I get out of the hospital. I thought maybe the accident might change their minds, but it didn’t.”

“Honestly, even though I am disappointed, I’m not surprised. Your parents don’t seem like the type of people who change their minds easily.”

“I know. I just really don’t want to move.”

“I don’t want you to move either. I’m going to miss you too much.”

“I’m going to miss you too. It’s going to be so hard getting used to living without you right by my side and adjusting to the new atmosphere. I’ve never had to move before and, honestly, I am a little nervous. I’m going to have to start everything anew.”

“I think you will be fine. If someone doesn’t like you, then he or she must be mentally ill because you will probably be one of the sweetest most caring people he or she will ever meet.”

“You are too sweet to me.”

“No I’m not; I’m just right.”

“I don’t deserve you.”

“You’re right; you deserve so much more than me.”

“You know what I mean and I don’t want more than you. I’m perfectly happy with what I have.”

“Ditto.”

I patted the pillow next to me and he lied down beside me and wrapped his arms around me.

“I wish we could just stay like this forever and not have to move ever again,” he said.

“I definitely agree. I wish there weren’t a world outside of just us,” I replied.

“But then that would be heaven.”

“And what’s wrong with heaven?”

“We would have to be dead to be in heaven.”

“Not necessarily. There’s always heaven on earth. We would be in that kind of heaven.”

“Good point, but I think I’m already there.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m in love with you and the feelings I have for you are like heaven on earth.”

“Ok, what you just said was really sweet, but kind of cheesy. I’m sorry, I just had to say it.”

“Are you saying that I’m cheesy? I’m so hurt” Jesse pretended to cry.

“Oh save it, mister! You know what I said was true. You are full of cheese.”

“Ugh! How rude! I’m not talking to you anymore!” Jesse pretended to be offended and turned his back to me.

“But, I like cheese. It’s good. I eat it all the time, so it’s good that you’re cheesy because cheese is good.”

“I guess I forgive you.”

He turned back over and gave me a kiss.

“You are lucky you are in the hospital, otherwise I would be tickling you right now for saying that to me.”

“Yeah, I guess I am.”

A few minutes later, the nurse came in to shoo Jesse out.

“Goodnight, babe,” Jesse said, giving me a kiss. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight,” I said quietly. He left.

I turned on the radio to help me get to sleep.

“Next is ‘Say Goodnight’ by The Click Five,” said the announcer.

Our separation has it's faults
But I don't wanna leave it all
So write the letters in teary ink
I just need some time to think
And I just need some time to breathe

Baby just say goodnight
I'll be gone tomorrow
Baby just close your eyes
I can't take the sorrow
Baby just walk away
You know I can't stay
There's no easy way to say goodbye
So baby just say goodnight

We're in a spell that never ends
The empty hourglass wore me thin
So let the phone do it's work
Your voice is heaven
But it hurts
Your words are memories
But they burn

Baby just say goodnight
I'll be gone tomorrow
Baby just close your eyes
I can't take the sorrow
Baby just walk away
You know I can't stay
There's no easy way to say goodbye
So baby just say goodnight

Baby don't say goodbye
Baby just close your eyes
And dream, tomorrow’s on it's way
So just walk away

Baby just say goodnight
I'll be gone tomorrow
Baby just close your eyes
I can't take the sorrow
Baby just walk away
You know I can't stay
There's no easy way to say goodbye
So baby just say goodnight


Baby just say goodnight

I had a feeling that Jesse was listening to it too and thinking the same thing I was; we would have to say goodbye soon.