Your Guardian Angel

Chapter 22: What's Next?

BEEEEEEEEEEP! There it was; that dreadful sound that everyone wakes up to in the morning as a signal of a new day. I groaned, reached up, and jammed down the snooze button as I tried to fall back asleep. I had not slept much the previous night because I laid awake crying and pondering over the things that had happened that day. Who said I wanted to start a new day when I was still stuck in the old one? No matter how much I thought about it, I could not understand why Jesse could not trust me and trust that I loved him. We had been together for such a long time! Why would he choose now to stop trusting me? I was never unfaithful to him in any way and that’s probably what hurts the most about the breakup. Breaking up with him was probably the hardest thing I ever had to do because it was the exact opposite of what I wanted, but I felt I had to do it for the both of us. We live way too far away from each other and I know he’s going to see other girls and probably start to have feelings for them, so I don’t want to hold him back. It’s like we’ve been together so long that we both forgot what it’s like to be single and free like we once were, but nothing can take away the dull aching I feel in my heart right now.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard my mom’s voice yelling at me to get up because, if I didn’t, I would be late for school. I hate Mondays. Somehow, they are the hardest to get through because people like to forget most of their responsibilities on weekends, myself included. Reluctantly, I got up and began my day by doing normal things like brushing my teeth, taking a quick shower, putting on makeup, etc etc, and then I went to school. The run-in with Eric was definitely awkward; neither of us could bring ourselves to talk about what happened yesterday and I was afraid that I would start to cry if we did.

Six long hours later, I finally got home from school to find a surprise for me in the mail:

What: Amanda’s 18th birthday party!
When: Saturday, February 14th at 8:00PM
Where: 219 Cherry Tree Lane (Amanda’s house)
*Please RSVP by February 7th*


As soon as I finished reading it, I called my dad at work and asked if I could fly up to go to the party. It took a lot of convincing and I had to ask my mom too, but, thankfully, they said yes! I immediately called Amanda to tell her the great news.

“Hello?” she asked when she answered the phone.

“I got your invitation and I can go!” I exclaimed.

“Riley? Is that you?”

“Yes it’s me.”
“Yay! You were the person I wanted to come the most. It’s been way too long since you moved away; we haven’t seen each other since.”

“I know and I’m really sorry about that. I really do miss you though. How are Caitlin and Natalie? Please tell them I said hi and that I can’t wait to see them.”

“They are pretty good, but they miss you. It’s still kind of hard to get used to you not being here, so it’s going to be pretty sweet when you come to visit. How are you doing?”

“Ugh so much stuff has been happening in my life lately and, honestly, I’m a little confused about certain things right now.”

“What are you confused about?”

“Well, yesterday Jesse and I broke up.”

“What?! Why?!”

“I found out that he doesn’t trust me. I went out with a guy friend of mine yesterday, but we’re just friends, that’s it. My friend Eric told me that he likes me and he kissed me unexpectedly and that’s when Jesse walked in out of nowhere.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah.”

“So then what happened?”

“He stormed out and I chased after him. Eric came out after us and he started punching and kicking him. A few hours later, he came back with a bouquet of flowers and apologized, but I couldn’t take it anymore; the whole experience was a big wake-up call for me. I love him, but I can’t be with someone that doesn’t trust me. Problem is, I really miss him now. I guess I just have to give myself more time to get used to being single again.”

“Do you have feelings for this new guy friend Eric?”

“No. I only like him as a friend and he and Jesse both know that now.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive. I don’t feel the same way around Eric as I do around Jesse. Amanda, do you think you can do me a favor?”

“Depends on what the favor is. Shoot.”

“Can you not invite Jesse to your party? We just broke up and I think it would be really hard for both of us to see each other right now. I know if I see him, all those feelings are going to come back and I’m going to want to get back together with him; I don’t want to be hurt like this again.”

“Yeah I guess I could do that if you really need me to.”

“I do. Seeing him again would just be too hard right now.”

“Ok I won’t invite him if you really don’t want me to.”

“Thanks. What about you? All this time we have been talking about me, but I haven’t heard anything about you.”

“Well…”Amanda trailed off in a singsong voice.

“Spill, girl!”

“I have a new boyfriend.”

“Oh what’s his name? What’s his name? Do I know him?”

“Hmmm I don’t know if you know him or not. His name is Tyler and I really like him.”

“Awesome! What does he look like?”

“He has a buzz cut and big beautiful blue eyes and a really nice muscular body. You will probably meet him at my party.”

“Can’t wait. He sounds like a hottie.”

“He is, but lay off; he’s mine!”

“Ok well I’d better go because it’s getting late and I have a lot of stuff to do tonight, but I can’t wait until I get to see you again.”

“Me either. Just two more weeks and you’ll be right here with me for the weekend. Whenever the two of us are together, you can bet it’s going to be one heck of a good time!”

“Oh yeah!”

“I’ll talk to you later.”

“Definitely. Bye.”

“Bye.”

When I hung up the phone, I noticed I had five missed calls all from the same person: Jesse.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the filler, but the next few chapters are going to be explosive.