Your Guardian Angel

Chapter 31: Let's See How Far We've Come

It’s been about four months since the attack. I still have nightmares about it sometimes, but it was the worst right after it happened. Jesse had to give a statement shortly after he woke up so that the cops could make sure that it matched mine. Luckily, all the evidence matched the truth, so I didn’t really have to worry about going to court or anything like that. I couldn’t be gladder that everything was finally all over. No more deaths, no more car accidents, no more moves, no more courts, no more revelations, no more stalkers, no more attacks. It was all finally over. Finally.

Anyway, as I said before, it’s been nearly four months since the attack and it was the morning of Wednesday, June 21st, the morning of my high school graduation. It’s a funny thing, high school. It was probably one of the worst times of my life, but, at the same time, it was probably one of the best too. I mean, think about it; I lost someone I loved, I had to move away from my home, I got attacked by a stalker, but I fell madly and completely in love not once, but twice. Talk about bittersweet!

I peered into the mirror and the person staring back at me was standing in a white cap and gown with a nervous look on her face. I started getting jitters in my stomach. Was I really ready to graduate? I can still remember my first day of high school like it was yesterday. Somehow, I never thought I would make it to this day. It’s hard to believe that four years have come and gone and now very soon I would be completely on my own. Well, not completely; I knew I would always have Jesse by my side. I wondered how much of my life was about to change.

As it turns out, Jesse couldn’t make it to my graduation. Sure, I was really disappointed, but I understood. He was in the middle of recording his very first album and he just couldn’t leave. But, then again, couldn’t he take just one day off to celebrate with me? He at least owed me that much, considering I had to beg to go to his and Amanda’s graduation and risk not getting credit for my senior year due to too many absences. Luckily, I convinced my parents to let me go and my mom called the judge from Josh’s murder trial and he faxed over an excuse note to my school.

“Riley, are you almost ready, Honey? We have to start taking pictures soon, otherwise we’ll be late,” I heard my mom yell up the stairs.

“Yeah, Mom, I’ll be right there.” I took one last look at myself in the mirror to make sure that everything was in place and went downstairs and outside to join the rest of my family.

As soon as my mom saw me, tears sprung to her eyes. “I can’t believe my youngest baby is graduating high school,” she wailed and pulled me into a hug.

“Mom, stop it,” I said, laughing a little bit.

“Ok, everyone, gather around for the pictures. We have to get started so that we’re not late to the ceremony,” said my dad.

The rest of my family started to congregate toward my mom and me but then I looked around and realized one very important part of the family was missing.

“Wait, where’s Amanda?”

“Her flight was a little bit delayed. She’s not here yet,” responded my sister Jaime.

“Yes she is!”

I turned around just in time to see Amanda walking through the gate to the backyard. I ran up and gave her a huge hug.

“Thanks for coming. I was so afraid you weren’t going to make it.”

“And miss my best friend’s high school graduation? I wouldn’t think of it. Besides, you made such an effort to come to mine. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I missed yours.”

“I don’t’ think I would be able to hold it together if you couldn’t’ come. You’ve done so much for me. You were always there for me when I needed you most. It’s only right for you to be here standing next to me on this day.”

You'll never know
What you've done for me
What your faith in me
Has done for my soul
And you'll never know
the gift you've given me
I'll carry it with me, yeah


“Ri, you know I’ll always be there for you, just like you would always be there for me.”

“But, you don’t understand. When Josh passed away, I was a wreck. I didn’t even want to get out of bed in the morning and I lost faith in pretty much everything. You were the one who forced me out of my bed and to live my life again. I honestly don’t know what I would be like right now if you weren’t there to pick me back up. I just hope that I can eventually repay you for that.”

“You already have.” Amanda smiled and gave me another hug. “Congratulations, Graduate.”

“Thanks!”

“Girls, come on, we really need to take these pictures,” said my dad.

“All right, all right, we’re coming,” I responded. Amanda and I put our hands around each other and walked back over toward my family.

The pictures took about half an hour. We took so many different pictures in so many different poses near the palm trees in my backyard. By the time we were done, my mom was in tears again, along with my two sisters. It took all the strength I had not to just break down with them. It felt like I was no longer a teenager; I was no longer a kid and that was the hardest part of all.

As soon as we were all about to pile into my dad’s van, my mom realized that she had forgotten her purse and she had to run back inside to get it. While she was in the house, a silver Toyota Camry pulled up right behind the van. As soon as he stepped out, my mouth fell open and pure happiness spread all throughout my whole body. He opened his arms and I ran into them.

“Am I too late?” Jesse asked.

“No, you’re right on time,” I said as tears welled up in my eyes. “I was so scared that you weren’t going to come. Wait, why are you here? You told me that the record company wouldn’t let you off.”

“I just told them that you were the whole reason I got that record contract and that, if they didn’t let me go, then I would quit and find another, more accommodating record company. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you that I was coming before, but I wanted to surprise you.”

“That’s ok. You just made today all the more special.”

He wiped the tears out of my eyes and kissed me.

A minute later, my mom came out again with her purse this time. When she saw that Jesse came she embraced him.

“Hi, Jesse, dear, how are you?”

“I’m great.”

“We might not be able to fit 8 people into one van. That could be a problem,” stated my dad.

“That’s ok. Riley or someone can come with me in my rental car,” said Jesse.

“Can I go with Jesse?” I asked my parents. My mom nodded, so Jesse and I got into his car.

“I can’t believe I’m graduating,” I said as soon as we got on the road. “This is so weird. I don’t feel ready to graduate.”

“Riley, you are probably the most mature person I know and you’ve gone through things that people should never have to go through. It might not feel like it, but you’ve been ready to graduate for a long time. College will be a cake walk for you.”

Through all the days ahead
I think of days before
You made me hope for something better
and made me reach for something more


“Speaking of college, I have some good news.”

“What?”

“I got into NYU! That means I can move back up to New York and be with you!”

“Baby, that’s amazing.” He pulled up to a red light and as soon as the car stopped, he kissed me.

“So when do you have to go back to New York?” I asked when we broke apart and the light turned green.

“Geez, you’re trying to get rid of me that fast, huh?” Jesse laughed.

“No, of course not! I just want to know how much time I have with you until I have to say goodbye.”

“Well, actually, I have to go back in two days, but the good news is that I will be back in a week. I called your parents and asked them if it would be ok for me to come stay with you for the summer and they said yes. There will be days when I have to go back up to New York and record, but for the most part, I will be here.”

“Jesse, that’s awesome! I’m so happy! Now I won’t have to spend the whole summer missing you.”

“Ditto.”

“You’ll come stay with me for the summer and then I can come stay by you for college. It’s perfect. We won’t have to worry about being separated again for awhile now.”

“Yeah I know. It’ll be great.”

A few minutes later, we pulled up to the stadium where my graduation was being held.

“Well I have to go join my class now, so I will see you later, ok?”

“Ok. Congrats, Baby.”

“Thank you! You’ll be able to find my family ok right?”

“Yeah I have Amanda’s number in my phone, so I will just call her to see where everyone is sitting. Good luck! I love you.”

“I love you too.” I gave him a quick kiss, got out of the car, and went in by the side of the stadium to find my class.

“Riley, hey!”

I turned around when I heard my name and saw Eric waving at me, so I walked toward him. Eric and I had stayed friends ever since he kissed me, but it was never the same. He told me that sometimes he had a hard time being around me because he still had feelings for me, so we haven’t hung out all that much since.

“Hey, Eric!” I smiled and gave him a hug. “How have you been? It’s been a few weeks since we’ve talked last.”

“Actually, I’ve been great! I have a new girlfriend now. Her name is Laura and she’s really great. I feel really lucky.”

“That’s great! I’m really happy for you.”

“Thank you! What about you? How have you been doing?”

“I’ve been great! I found out that I got into NYU, so I will be going there in the fall.”

“Congratulations! That’s amazing!”

“Thank you! I’m really excited. Where are you planning to go to college?”

“I’m going to the University of Florida.”

“Awesome! I’m sure you’ll really like it there.”

“Thank you. Listen, Riley, I’m really sorry about what happened between us. I never should have just come at you like that. I ended up hurting you, which was the last thing I wanted to do and I made you and Jesse break up. I’m truly sorry and I hope that someday you will be able to forgive me.”

“Eric, it’s ok. That’s all over now.”

“But I ruined the relationship between you and Jesse.”

“No you didn’t. Jesse and I got back together 4 months ago. I thought I told you that.”

“Nope you must have left that part out when we last spoke. Anyway, I’m so glad that you guys are back together. I’ve been feeling so guilty about it all this time.”

“Well, you don’t need to feel guilty anymore because it’s all good.”

“I’m glad.”

Just then, someone told us that the graduation was going to start in a matter of minutes, so all the graduates got in their places and started the procession. When I entered the stadium, I looked around at all the proud parents and family of graduates. This is really happening, I thought. High school is really over and I’m really graduating. I spotted my whole family including Jesse and Amanda waving and screaming for me as I walked by and I couldn’t help but smile and laugh.

As soon as all the graduates were settled into their seats, the principal gave the opening address and then the valedictorian and the class president made their speeches. I got up onstage and joined my high school choir as we sang “You’ll Be In My Heart” by Phil Collins and I couldn’t stop the tears from flowing. Then, they started to give out the diplomas.

I was scared, yet I was so excited too. A chapter of my life was closing and a brand new one was about to open. I would no longer have to deal with the drama of high school and that felt pretty darn liberating.

As the name reader got closer to the M’s, I followed the line up to the stage. Any minute now…

“Riley Miller.”

There it was.

All the fear about the future seemed to vanish and I walked onstage, got my diploma, and shook everyone’s hands. I was smiling so much that I couldn’t control myself when I jumped up and gave a little whoop. I heard all my family and friends cheering at me from the audience. I did it! This is for everyone who has helped me get here along the way.

You taught me to run
You taught me to fly
Help me to free the me inside
Help me hear the music of my heart
Help me hear the music of my heart
You opened my eyes
You opened the door
To something I've never known before
And your love
Is the music of my heart


Half an hour later, all the names had finally been read. The principal’s voice came over the microphone again.

“Ladies and gentlemen, it is my great pleasure to present you the East High Class of 2008!”

Everybody screamed and we all threw our hats in the air. High school was finally over and I was free. After all this time, I was free and it felt so damn good.

I walked out of the stadium with all the graduates and the parents and family followed suit a few minutes later. I finally saw my family and started waving at them and they made their way over to me. My mom was the first to hug me and cry on my shoulder.

“Congrats, Honey. I’m so proud of you,” she wept.

“Thanks, Mom.” I looked around at the rest of my family and said, “I wouldn’t have been able to make it through high school if it weren’t for you guys.”

You were the one
Always on my side
Always standing by
Seeing me through


Everyone else gave me a hug and congratulated me and many more tears were shed. My dad took some more pictures of me and the rest of the family, except this time I was proudly holding my diploma.

15 minutes later, my family got back in the car and left. My parents were taking everybody out for a graduation dinner, but I told them Jesse and I would meet them there because I had to stay behind a little bit to return my gown and say goodbye to the rest of my friends. That took about another half hour and then Jesse and I finally got in the car and on our way to the restaurant.

“So, Miss Graduate, how do you feel?” Jesse asked

“Amazing,” I said, smiling. “It’s like a huge weight was just lifted off my shoulders.”

“I’ll bet. You looked beautiful up there. I’m so happy for you.”

“Aw, thank you, Babe. I was really proud of you at your graduation too. We made it!”

“We sure did.”

A few minutes, we pulled up to the restaurant. I was about to get out of the car, but Jesse put his hand on my arm and stopped me.

“Riley, wait. I want to give you part of your graduation present before we go in. You’ll get the other part of it later in front of everybody, but I want to give you this while we’re still alone.” He handed me an envelope and I took it.

You were the song that always made me sing
I'm singing this for you
Everywhere I go
I think of where I've been
And of the one who knew me better
Than anyone ever will again


I opened up the envelope, took out the paper inside, and opened it.

“Jesse, what’s this?”

“It’s a song that I wrote for you. I just got done recording it and it’s going on the album. It’s a song that I wrote when you first moved away. I was missing you so much that I just had to get my feelings out. For awhile, I thought I had lost it, but then I found it again a few weeks ago and I wanted to see if I could get it recorded and I did. I hope you like it.”

“Do you think you could sing it to me?”

“I would love to.” He took the lyrics from me and this is what he sang:

I know how it feels
To wake up without her
Lying here all alone
Just thinking about her

I can't believe
Her hold on me
it's something indescribable
I know she knows
But won't you please

If you see my girl
Just tell her I miss her smile
Tell her I'm counting the minutes
Gonna see her in a little while
Cause I know when she
Holds onto me
She's the one thing that i could never live without
Oh oh oh oh
Tell her I love her
Oh yeah
Just tell her I love her

The way that she moves
You know what it does to me
When I catch her eye
I can hardly breathe

Still can't believe
Her hold on me
She's just so indescribable
I know she knows
But won't you please

If you see my girl
Just tell her i miss her smile
Tell her I'm counting the minutes
Gonna see her in a little while
Cause I know when she
Holds onto me
She's the one thing that i could never live without
Oh oh oh oh
Tell her I love her

Every time that I'm around her
I just go to pieces crushing, tumbling to the ground
I'm so glad I found her

I know how it feels

If you see my girl
Just tell her i miss her smile
Tell her I'm counting the minutes
Gonna see her in a little while
Cause I know when she
Holds onto me
She's the one thing that i could never live without
Oh oh oh oh
Just tell her I love her

If you see my girl
Just tell her i miss her smile
Tell her I'm counting the minutes
Gonna see her in a little while
Cause I know when she
Holds onto me
She's the one thing that i could never live without
Oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh
And tell her I love her
Just tell her I love her


By the time he was finished, I had tears gushing down my face and I think my mascara might have been running.

“That was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard,” I cried. “No one has ever done anything like this for me before. I love you so much.”

“You deserve it. I have never felt this way about anyone else and I never will again. You’re it for me, Riley; you’re the one. I can’t wait for us to live together and I won’t have to be away from you for so long anymore.”

“You’re the one for me too, Jess. I’m so lucky to have you; no one else could ever compare to you and the way I love you.”

“Ditto.”

With that, we kissed.

A few minutes later, my mom called asking where we were and I told her that we would be right in. I fixed my makeup and then we finally entered the restaurant.

“What a beautiful restaurant,” I said and Jesse agreed.

My whole family was sitting around a circular table right near the window with a beautiful view of the beach. It was the perfect time of day to be having dinner there because the sun was setting. There was a graduation centerpiece and balloons in the middle of the table.

“There she is, the girl of the hour,” said my brother Jim as I walked up to the table.

“Finally! What took you guys so long?” my mom asked.

“Jesse had to give me something while we were in the car.”

“Oh ok well come sit down,” said my mom.

I sat down in the chair right opposite the window so that I could watch the sunset. I looked down at the table and realized that my glass was filled with champagne.

“Excuse me, everyone, but I would like to make a toast.”

I looked up as my dad stood up and raised his champagne glass.

“I would like to make a toast to Riley, my youngest to graduate high school. As I’m sure you can imagine, this day makes me feel very old.”

Everyone laughed.

“Actually, when you were born, your mom and I never really imagined that the day would come when you would become an adult and we would have to let you grow up. After you leave for college, your mom and I will probably have to be hauled off to the loony bin because we won’t have any more kids to raise. We won’t be hearing that loud music all around the house anymore and we won’t be bothered anymore by you constantly asking us to get you stuff. In fact, maybe you moving out won’t be such a bad thing after all.”

“Hey!” I exclaimed and my mouth dropped open. Everyone else laughed again.

“You know I’m just kidding. Our house is going to feel completely empty without you in it and it’s going to be hard for your mom and I to get used to it. But, we both want you to know how proud of you we are. You’ve been through so much in your lifetime, yet you still manage to stay positive about everything. You continue to amaze us each and every day with your determination and your passion. We can’t wait to see what kind of magic you are going to create in the future. You are going to go on to help so many people because you are the most caring and generous person and I’m proud to be your father.” He motioned for everyone to raise his or her champagne glasses. “To Riley. May she have nothing but success in college, her career, and all her future endeavors.”

“To Riley,” said everyone else in unison and we all clanged our glasses together and then took a sip.

I rubbed more tears from my eyes as my dad came over and gave me a hug and a kiss. “I love you, Dad.”

“I love you too.”

A few minutes later, the waiter came to get our drink and entrée orders. My parents chose an Italian restaurant because they knew it was my favorite type of food, so I ordered my favorite meal of cheese ravioli with cream sauce. After the waiter got all the orders, we decided that I should open my graduation presents before the food came.

My sister Jaime got me a brand new Coach purse that was black and gray. My other sister Lindsey got me a beautiful bracelet from Macy’s, which I put on right away. My brother Jim got me Oh the Places You Will Go by Dr. Seuss and a really nice framed picture of my whole family that I could hang up on my wall. I got money from my grandparents, aunt and uncle, and cousin, which was always good. My parents got me a brand new laptop that I would be able to use for college.

Finally, there were only 2 gifts left: Amanda’s and Jesse’s. Jesse asked for me to open his last, so I picked up Amanda’s first. She gave me one of those really expensive and nice photo albums with pictures of us beginning when we were extremely little up until recently.

“Mand, this was such a great idea! Thank you so much!” I reached over and gave her a big hug.

“I thought I would do something that showed us and how we changed and grew closer through the years. I really hope you like it.”

“Like it? I love it! I’ve been looking for a lot of these pictures for a while now, so it’s really nice to finally have them compiled in an album. This holds so many good memories of us. I’m going to cherish it forever.”

“I’m so glad to hear you say that.”

“Did you not think I would like it?”

“I wasn’t sure.”

“Amanda, I would love anything you give me. Even if you gave me a piece of paper, I wouldn’t mind because you still came to celebrate my graduation with me. That’s a present right there in itself.”

“I could never give you a piece of paper for a present!”

“Yeah I know, but you know what I mean.”

“Yes I do and thank you for that. Speaking of presents, you still have one more to open,” she said, pointing to Jesse’s gift.

The gift took the shape of a tiny box wrapped in paper. I tore off the paper and found a black velvet case that could only fit one thing: a ring. When I opened the case, I gasped. Inside was a beautiful, silver, heart-shaped diamond ring. (http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/02/ringheartL090206_450x300.jpg) It had “my promise to you” inscribed on the inside of the band.

“Jesse, I don’t even know what to say…” I said as my eyes started watering for about the millionth time. “This is the most beautiful ring…”

“Does it fit?” he asked.

“I don’t know. Why don’t you put it on me and we will see?”

He took the ring out of the case and put it on my left ring finger. Even though this wasn’t an engagement ring, I still wanted it there because I was already taken for a lifetime.

“I wanted to give this ring to you because you are the only girl I ever loved and probably the only girl that I ever will love. I know that I’m going to be so happy with you, Riley, and I don’t want to ever have to give you up again. Consider this ring a promise that I will always be there for you, I will always protect you, and I will always love you no matter what the future has in store for us.”

“I love you too. And ditto,” I cried. “These past few years have been the best years of my life. You truly saved me in every way possible. When I was still mourning Josh’s death, you were patient and you were there for me every step of the way; no one ever understood me like you did. You reintroduced me to a happy and full life and you made everything ok again. You even literally saved my life. You are truly my guardian angel. I just hope that I can return the favor.” I looked down at the gorgeous ring on my finger, but he took my face in his hands and gently lifted it up so that we were looking into each other’s eyes. He used his thumbs to brush the tears away from my eyes, pulled me closer, and kissed me passionately.

“You already have,” he said when we broke apart.

What you taught me
Only your love could ever teach me
You got through when no one could reach me before
'Cus you always saw in me
All the best that I could be
It was you who set me free


Many hours later, we returned home after dinner, desert and a long walk on the beach. Everyone was exhausted, so we all decided to go to bed when we got home. Amanda slept in the guest room right next to me and Jesse slept in my brother Jim’s room while Jim slept downstairs on the couch.

As I entered my room, I passed by my mirror, but then doubled back again. The girl staring back at me was no longer scared or nervous; she was completely and utterly happy. Life could not get any better than this.

THE END
♠ ♠ ♠
And so we have reached the end of this story. I really hope you liked it and I would love to hear some of your feedback! The songs I used in this chapter are: "Music of My Heart" by Nsync featuring Gloria Estefan and "Tell Her" by the one and only Jesse McCartney.