Your Guardian Angel

Chapter 9: Memories

That night I couldn’t fall asleep, no matter how hard I tried. I couldn’t stop thinking about the broken look on his face when I told him I didn’t love him. I guess I was being pretty selfish but I couldn’t help it. Nobody knows what it’s like to lose the love of his or her life, nobody but me. To tell you the truth, I was afraid, afraid of falling in love; afraid of losing another person that I need in my life. I wouldn’t be able to take it if he died…

Many hours later, I fell asleep. As usual, my dreams were greeted with memories of the past.

**FLASHBACK**

I was in my room, getting ready to go out on another date with Josh that night. Somehow, I had the feeling that tonight was going to be really special. I was right. I decided to dress up a little bit, so I wore a long, black, strapless dress that tied in the back of my neck. I wore it with black stockings and black high heals. I curled my soft brown hair and let it hang loosely on my shoulders.

It was around five thirty when Josh came to pick me up. He was dressed in a black suit and was carrying a dozen red roses, which he gave me when I met him at the door. I put the roses in a vase and then we left.

When I saw where he was taking me, I lost my breath. He had taken me to a beautiful restaurant on the beach. When we got in, he whispered something to the hostess. She nodded and said, “Follow me.”

She led us to a table outside on the deck. We were the only people out there.

“I wonder why nobody else is out here,” I said. “I mean, you’d think they would want to eat outside, considering it’s so beautiful out here.”
“No one else is out here because they aren’t allowed.”
“What do you mean?”
“I asked the manager to close off this section of the restaurant so that we could be alone.”
“That’s so sweet!”
“Listen, there’s something I want to tell you.”
“Is it a good thing or a bad thing?”
“It’s a very good thing.”
“Ok, good. Shoot.”
“I thought tonight would be the perfect time to tell you that…”

At that moment, the dream cut him off. It fast-forwarded to a few months later. Josh and I were standing across the street from his house and it was snowing.
All of a sudden, we both saw lights coming toward us and he quickly pushed me out of the way. I watched him get run over and then I woke up in a cold sweat. It was then that I knew I had to tell Jesse that I loved him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this chapter is really short, but it was needed so that Riley could realize that she could not take anything for granted.