Blood Bond

Mission Impossible

"You’re not pregnant, huh?" Dad questioned. I opened my eyes and Daryl pulled back. He helped me onto his lap.

"No, she isn't, sir", Daryl told him.

"So you two haven’t done that, eh? That’s a little hard to believe considering you were on top of her," he said. Daryl looked away, guilty.

"I’m sorry, sir. It won’t happen—"

"Save it. Why should you be sorry? Without you here, she’d be completely worthless, just like her mother," he said coldly, walking away after ruffling Daryl’s hair. Daryl looked at him, disgusted. I just looked down, knowing that’s what my father wanted; me to be disappointed in myself.

"You’re far from worthless, Tonia. Without you I’d have nothing." Daryl said, holding me and smelling my hair. "I love you, baby. It’s okay."

"You know, all I ever wanted…was for Daddy to love me…It’s not my fault mother left him for being…for being a godforsaken drunk! I hate him! I wish he would die a horrible and painful death. And the last thing he’d see…would be me, huh? He’d never forget me then, would he? I hate…" I started crying and couldn’t stop. How could I think such a thing?

"Shh. It’s okay."

"I just want him to love me! Maybe even just look at me without being disgusted! All I wanted was a Dad!" I cried, unable to stop.

"Pathetic. I want my Daddy! I want my Daddy! If you want me to love you so much then you should’ve died when you were born!" Dad yelled. I looked up and couldn’t believe what he just said.

"Why do you hate me so much? I love you! Dad…I—"

"Spare me your emotions. If you want me to love you and don’t want to die then how about you do something useful?"

"What did Kyle do that makes you love him?"

"Shut up. He’s not a problem and don’t drag him into this. How about you go use another person’s food and house? Huh? Why don’t you go live with your boyfriend and come back when you have kids—the only thing women are good for! End of discussion. Some people have to go to work!"

"You mean get drunk?" I accused.

"Want to fall down again?" I shut up. "Thought so." And with that he left. No good-bye; no apology; no nothing.

"…Tonia. Did he push you down the stairs? And break your arm? And bruise you!" I looked away. “Why didn’t you tell me he did it? He needs to go to jail or—!"

"No! He’ll come after me if I tell! He’ll kill me!" I cried, burying my face in his shirt.

That caught him off guard, but he finally said, "You still could’ve told me. I won’t tell, but we need to get you out of here and—I’m sorry. About the acting drunk thing, I mean. I didn’t know you’re dad was abusive—drunk and sober. I’m sorry." I shook my head.

"Don’t be. You’re not the one who hurts me. It’s not your fault." I smiled and hugged him. "Just promise me you won’t leave me here alone, if we can’t find Kyle, if he’s…dead." He nodded.

"Come on. Get all of your stuff." Daryl said, getting up. "You’re not living here."

"But where am I—?"

"You’re going to live with me. Now get you’re stuff."

"Just one more night. Please? I can’t leave yet. We have to look for Kyle and if we can’t find him, then tomorrow morning we can go." Daryl hesitated, but nodded.

"But we’re sleeping in your room and you’re not to leave your room unless I go with you, okay?" I nodded, thinking control freak.

I went upstairs and—since I didn’t really have anything other than clothes because Kyle got all of the stuff—it didn’t take long to pack everything that actually mattered.

"I think that’s it. We’ll go find Kyle after lunch. Anything else we need to do?"

He smiled and said, "Yeah. Pick up where we left off," shifting his eyebrows.

"Why? Haven’t you had enough perverted thoughts for one day?" I asked.

"Well, considering I’m picturing you naked right now, I guess not," he answered.

"Wow. You’re gross, Daryl." I sighed, sitting beside him. He laughed.