Blood Bond

Step Off Your Pedestal, Queenie

I used my sleeves to wipe away the tears running down my cheeks. I was crying? That was impossible. He meant nothing to me. But he cared so much... Why didn't my human emotions go away if I lost my humanity? I had no time to question anything because the door opened. I looked and saw no one but immediately felt arms wrap around me. His shoulders were shaking.

"I thought I lost you, and what was the first thing I did when I found you? I yelled. I'm so sorry," he said as he tried to control his breathing and not cry in front of me.

"Darilen..."

"Tonia, you know I love you, right?" he asked, interrupting me. I nodded and he smiled, holding me tighter.

"I love you, too," I muttered.

Funny, I had said that a million times and taken it back just as many. Daryl nodded and I could tell he wasn't sure whether or not he could believe me. I sighed.

"And I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" he asked, pulling back a little.

"I'm sorry I made you so scared."

"Someone thinks highly of herself," he muttered.

"Oh? But look at this." I pulled out the note and he skimmed over it. He seemed embarrassed.

"I did no such thing!" he yelled, obviously not wanting me to think he was weak.

"Oh calm down. I find emotions...sexy," I decided on.

"Really...How sexy?" he asked. With a laugh I went to kiss him, but the door opened and Daryl looked over at his father and sighed.

"What is it?" he asked.

"So she's back...What the hell?" he yelled, referring to my lost humanity.

"Hey, I won't have half-breed children. Isn't that what you were against?" Daryl asked, holding me by the waist. Aubrey glared.

"You go around turning every human you see?" he asked. Daryl scoffed.

"This is hardly an argument. She's the only one I've turned!" he yelled.

"Do not raise your voice at me!" his father demanded, and with that Daryl flew backwards and into a wall. I looked back at him.

"What the hell is your problem?" I yelled, running to Daryl and helping him stand. "What kind of father hurts his own son?"

"Tonia, don't," Daryl whispered.

"No! This bastard deserves to hear what I have to say!"

"Tonia, calm down." Daryl demanded, using his harsh voice. I flinched.

"Why should I?"

"Tonia. Sit down," he demanded. I froze and, without even thinking, did as he said. How did he make me do that? "I will handle this, whether you like it or not." He looked to his father. "Now what is it you wanted?" he asked. His father laughed.

"She's like an obedient puppy!" he mused.

"Father!"

"Oh, right. I was going to tell you that we were going to get you a new pet, but it seems you are far, far too busy enjoying this one. Perhaps you'd like to come collar shopping with me?" he asked, laughing.

"She is not my pet!"

"Oh? But look at her! Look what you've done without realizing." Daryl looked at me as I listened blankly, not speaking as I'd been told. "You took advantage of the fact that she's of your bloodline!" Aubrey found it hilarious. Daryl looked down.

"God, what have I done?" he asked himself aloud, but his father answered.

"You've proven me that you're actually my son. Congratulations." With that, he walked out and left Daryl staring at me as I sat at his feet obediently.

"Tonia, please stand up." And I did. "Tonia, I am so sorry. I shouldn't have done this. I bonded our blood and now..." his words faded.

"I don't get it...Why did I do exactly what you said when I don't even remember sitting down?" I asked him, head spinning.