Blood Bond

Brain, Do Your Worst!

I was sitting on the bed and had been doing so for hours. I sighed for the millionth time since Daryl had shut me in the room. I kept telling myself that he'd come to his senses and soon enough apologize, give some speech hoping to win my heart back, and let me out of the room I was being forced to stay in. So far, though, that didn't seem very likely. There was nothing to do, so I was bored out of my mind. The only good thing was I had time to think. I thought about the babies and names to give them. With the thought of family came the thought of Kyle: a painful memory.

Daryl had said awhile ago he might be a vampire, so there was still a shred of hope, but Kyle looked pretty bad off. I sighed and stared at the door, thinking about how judgmental Daryl was. He had no right to bound me to the room. I felt my rage building up and couldn't take it any longer.

I got onto my feet and ran to the door. Yeah, it was locked, but it wasn't like I hadn't jimmied a few locks before. I couldn't believe I was actually going to disobey Daryl—the man who controlled my life... It felt good.

Click! I swung open the door and crept into the hallway.

"Damien?" I called out in a whisper. He was the only one I could trust in this mad house.
"Damien?" Nearby a door opened and for a moment my heart stopped: Daryl? He emerged from the room and I could breathe again: it was just Damien.

I wandered up to him. He looked at my eyes and seemed to flinch.

"What?"

"Your eyes...so much hate..." he complained, not even looking me in the eyes any more, as if he were afraid to.

"I tried, Damien. I really tried. But it's impossible. Right now I am bound to his room, but I couldn't take it." Damien stared at me, stupefied. He looked around before abruptly pulling me into his room.

"What did you do? He was so happy a few seconds earlier!"

"So it's my fault?" I complained. "It's not my fault he assumes things like the ass he is!"

"Okay...? What happened?" he asked, trying to calm me down a bit.

I did so and told him how stupid Daryl was being.

"...But look at this from his view: you have tried to leave him so many times. He's not going to take any chances. He cares, he really does... He loves you to the point that it hurts so bad...but he has to be tough on you so he can hold you... Try to see through his eyes."

"But...No!"

"Yes. Just try for your sake, okay?" He gave me no chance to decline as he shoved me out of his room and into Daryl's. By the time I had turned around Damien had shut the door. I touched it and jumped back, cursing. He had put some kind of evil magic on it to keep me in there.

"Jerk!" I screamed, throwing a tantrum.

"Think about it and you can come out!"

I sighed and walked back to the bed and fell onto it, face first into the pillows. I let my mind try to grasp the idea of Daryl's point of view. It didn't like the idea that he cared for me, yet Damien was set on trying to make me accept it. So it had to be at least a little true, didn't it? That didn't make it any easier to believe. Why did life have to be so difficult? Why did it just have to be me?

I had been having a normal life up until Daryl had decided I was his soul mate—like he ever had a soul! Life had been as normal and perfect as it ever would be so what right did he have to take that away from me? Because he was stronger? He was above humans and all their flaws? That didn't make any difference to me because even if he was superior to all humans, he wasn't better than them by a long shot. At least my cousins weren't such heartless monsters.

After thinking of all the bad things, I tried to think about good things.

I could remember the many times I had actually been in love with Daryl—of free will, I mean. And he could protect me from any humanly threat and he'd probably be a good father who was able to support a family. And he had showed many times what I meant to him, no matter how much I shot him down. He also loved me, even though I had been an insignificant human and he was this perfect vampire...

"Let's not go overboard..." I muttered to myself. He was still a lowly shell of a man and nothing could change that, no matter what kind words came out of his mouth. He would always be a monster in my eyes.

"Been thinking have we? I can tell you're not enjoying it in the least," his voice commented.

Daryl.

"You're right, on both things. Damien got me thinking and I can't say I like his view—or yours—on things. They're...difficult to consider."

Let’s just hope this conversation would be nicer than the last one!