Blood Bond

Premature Mommy

Tonia's P.O.V.

"Darry?" I called out with a groan. My voice was hardly audible, but Daryl shot to me like a bullet and held my warm hand in his icy one. "It hurts."

His expression was twisted and tortured when I said this. He seemed to be in deep thought. I frowned. What was wrong?

"Can you hear me?" His voice was faint and nearly inaudible. I nodded and he sighed deeply. "Baby… The doctor spoke to me and he thinks it's time." I felt my face become paler than it already was. "He said if we didn't"—he struggled to find the right words—"bring them into the world now then you could end up…dead." He didn't like the conversation and neither did I.

"I still have two months," I forced out despite of the protest my sore throat gave.

"I was born three months prematurely. And pretty much every one in my bloodline was born before their expected date. Probably due to our heritage: we developed faster than the average rate. The doctor said the babies will be fine and in our arms by sunrise, or earlier."

"I'm not ready. We're not ready," I corrected. We would fight and the kids would see and that wasn't something I wanted at all!

"I've been working on my issues ever since that day a month ago. Baby, we need to do this now or you could die. You promised me you'd stay with me." His eyes were like a puppy's and I looked at my stomach. If I died, they died.

"I really hope you're right," I told him, gripping his hand tightly. He easily released my grasp and he crawled into the bed.

"I won't let any harm come to you—even if it means having to give up my children to save your life, I'll do it."

"I don't know if that's good or bad," I told him, clinging to him tightly.

"I don't care. I don't care if the world is against me—as long as I have you in my arms," he mumbled into my hair. I bit my lip.

Would I regret saying this later? He deserved this so much and he had really changed himself for the better. And he had tried to make me happy. If he could do anything to set things right, effort was key. It proved he cared. The answer came to me: I had to say it. And mean it, no regrets.

"Daryl, I love you," I whispered in his ear.

His eyes lit up and his face brightened.

"I love you, too, dear." He kissed me gently yet passionately, careful not to harm me or our fledglings in any way. He pulled away, checking my eyes for any lies.

"I swear I mean it," I promised him, kissing his nose. He grabbed my chin softly and tilted my face up for another, deeper kiss.

"I know, my love, for no angel can lie. It is below her."

"I'm no angel."

"Prove it," he challenged.

"I am pregnant so I have no virtue."

"Oh, but you do. You're just no virgin. Prove to me you're no innocent little angel who isn't a dirty girl." His voice was seductive and I had to laugh.

"When I'm not so fat, I'll be glad to."

"Really?" he asked with shock written across his face. "But you said we wouldn't be 'making love' after you were done with having my family. You said you didn't want me like that."

"I changed my mind." I grinned devilishly, not so innocent at all.

"I'll believe that when I experience it," he mumbled dryly, jokingly.

I smiled and kissed him quickly before the door came open.

"Ready?" he asked pleasantly. I nodded and Daryl helped me to my feet. He lifted me up to kiss me deeply, not caring who saw. He put me down and walked me down the room.

"The day my life becomes whole," Daryl whispered as I was taken away. I blew him a kiss as he faded from view.

I could only pray that he was right.