Blood Bond

Car Crash Hearts

He’d gotten into a car accident and died a year ago. Kyle saw my misery and stood in front of it so I couldn’t see it. I shook off the feeling and shrugged Daryl’s hand off my shoulder—which was there to comfort me, I hope, and not to get closer to something he shouldn’t—and smiled, saying "I’m fine" over and over a million times. I knew they were trying to help, but they couldn’t stop the nightmares I kept having ever since I’d heard the horrible news. Daryl just made it even worse…

I shivered and broke the surreal silence.

"What are we going to do tonight, Daryl? I know the where and the when, but not the how or what. I mean, there is no why." Daryl pulled a paper out that revealed 'Plan TMD', which stood for 'Plan Tepee the Mansion by Daryl.' A giant grin appeared on his face as I scanned his plans. Why we did that stuff I didn’t know and I had a feeling I never would.

Daryl grabbed his book bag and threw the plans in while Kyle and I started out ahead. Kyle told me about the houses he saw that people beat us to and also about how we should execute our plan: do it and run as fast as we can. I laughed at the thought of some teenagers toilet papering a house and running like hell was going to freeze over. It was like we were trying to get in trouble, but it felt weird doing these stunts. It was a rush and I needed excitement. When we approached the house I realized it looked like my dead uncle’s house, but creepier. It made me wonder who really lived there or if anyone did because it had this sense and atmosphere that someone was there.

As Daryl and Kyle got everything ready, I went around the house to explore and answer some of the questions that were gnawing at me. It took me awhile just to get around the house that was as big as my house. I had to pick up the pace because it had gotten really dark in the night and I knew Kyle and Daryl wouldn’t take too long. I jumped as I felt a cold hand fall on my shoulder and swung around to see Daryl. I was irritated, but at least it wasn’t someone I didn’t know that was after me or something.

"Well, trying to get some time alone with me? I’m flattered, but you could have asked… You know, like when you requested that scene in the play auditions last week."

"I told you already! I wanted to yell at you! But it did shut you up, until now!"

So, as the little story goes, I had decided to try to get in the school play last month. Daryl was a shoe in for the lead role and I had no desire to play the lead girl. That stupid director made me act out a scene with him. Now, I had made a condition and chose a scene that I could vent my frustration at him for tripping me in class and catching me, as if being a hero. He had just smiled, saying, "Oh, have you finally fallen for me?"

Yeah, “fallen” in a different sense, I had thought before everyone started laughing and making jokes, saying that I liked him. They all knew that he liked me, but I didn’t. Even after that class I had still wondered why he had said finally. Was he waiting? I sure am stupid.

Anyway, it turned out that it just had to be a scene that started as I wanted it to for the first page before turning into a nightmare. When I flipped the page I saw him smirk. I hoped the director would stop me, but he seemed to like how I could act to be so angry.

Ha… act.

"I hate you! Just go away, please…" I tried to plead, I mean really pleaded. I would have bowed to him—that please wasn’t even in the script!—but no; he had to go with it!

"Do you really think that?" he asked, stepping forward. I stepped back and gulped.

"Yes," I had said stupidly in a soft, cracking voice.

"I think you don’t hate me… In fact," he stepped forward again, "I think you love me!" He, knowing I would step back, put his arms behind my back. I looked at the script. It wasn’t in there! He, not his character, was talking directly to me!

"That’s not in the script!" I called to the director. He just waved me off.

"This is gold! Just go with it," that hypocrite yelled.

"And I know that I love you." He decided to go back to the script. I put my hands on his chest to push him back, but he just looked at the director, not even budging, though I pushed with my full force—and I lifted in the weight room every day!

"It makes sense. She wouldn’t want to admit that she cared for him."

"No you wouldn’t," he quickly whispered and he smiled lustfully. I shook my head slowly. He nodded just as slowly and leaned towards me. "Afraid you'll like it?" he whispered quickly before his lips met mine. My eyes shot wide opened, sickened by the fact that I didn’t push him away. Instead of pushing him away, I felt my hands crawl up and wrap around his neck, trying desperately to pull him closer and make it deeper. I even made out with him, letting him shove his tongue halfway down my throat as well as check out every inch of my mouth. I slammed my eyelids shut and when he pulled back I heard clapping and laughter. I actually felt...disappointed.

Kyle…

And sure enough he was in the middle of the aisle, rolling on the floor like a moron. His other friends were on the floor with him. Not one, but four little morons rolling on the floor. I was about to walk off the stage and kick those idiots in their sides, but I felt restrained by something. I looked at my waist and saw an arm hooked around it. I blushed and looked up at Daryl. He didn’t notice because the director was saying who played who in the play. I kept trying to get away, but he held tighter. He finally pulled hard and quickly, so I stopped.

So he did notice…

"Tommy, you’re going to be Frank…. Daryl, you’re the lead…. I think Kyle could be the Village Idiot…Samantha, you’re Rose… And Tomball (his nickname for me), congrats! You’ll play the girl lead!" I felt my jaw drop, heard people grumbling, and I think I saw the director wink at Daryl, like he requested it to be me or he wouldn’t be in the play. Kyle, who was just getting up, fell again, causing a domino effect.

Four little morons, rolling on the floor…