Elements

Chapter 3

Salena’s P.O.V
I wondered around my cell, dragging my fingers along the uneven walls. I hummed an old tune that I remembered from my days at the kingdom. It echoed around the rocky room. I sighed and plopped down onto the dirty straw they had given me as a bed. I grimaced in disgust. The previous night was worse than any I had experienced. I jumped as I heard rattling at my door. One of the guards halfway fell into the room. He caught himself and held his hands out in front of him.
He saw me staring and straightened himself out, “Come with me.”
Without hesitation I hopped up and scurried out of the door. I’d do anything to get out of there. They closed the shackles around my wrists behind my back. They pulled me by two chains through the twisting corridors. We entered the massive throne room once again. I caught my breath. Looking around, I could see some new renovations. Tall, black sheets of metal covered most of the walls. A giant fire pit had been set in front of the throne. We were weaving around all the people who had gathered. Suddenly, I felt something being pressed into my palm. I looked to my right and saw Vlad give a quick wink before slipping back into the crowd. Realizing that it was my amulet I was now holding, a smile grew on my face, and I felt my power return.
Vlad’s P.O.V
I slipped the amulet into Salena’s hand. I winked and turned to return to the front. I caught a glimpse of Salena through the crowd. She wore a broad smile and her glow had returned. I saw her brought up to the pedestal next to the other spirits.
I strolled behind where each was stood, “Wait for my signal.” I whispered quickly.
They gave slight nods as I stepped into my place. The crowd hushed as my father stepped up.
“Today is a very important day. The day, when one man will attempt to control all of the elements.” He held out his arms gesturing to us, “I have captured the most powerful spirit of each element, including, the last water spirit.”
The crowd whispered with excitement.
“And now, the ceremony will begin.” He lowered his hands and signaled to his side.
Four men in long black robes proceeded forward.
Salena’s P.O.V.
Flames exploded from my far left. I recoiled in shock. I jumped off the pedestal, realizing that the flames were the signal. I quickly tied my amulet around my neck and started to control the water from the vases around the room. The other spirits started doing the same with their elements. I did my work, using my hands and arms this time to get more power. I whipped the water around, taking out any guards in view. Fierce winds swirled around me and boulders jumped up from the earth. Fires were starting everywhere. People screamed and fled. I struggled to stay focused through all of the chaos.
“Go!” Vlad yelled.
I took that as my signal to start running as the earth spirit flung his arms and the doors crumbled as a rock flew into it. We sprinted out of the doorway. We halted to a stop as we realized we had no clue where to go. Vlad caught up with us and yelled for us to follow. We ran down a hill and scrambled onto a small boat.
“Salena!” Vlad yelled.
I nodded and pushed the water around the boat. We surged forward and sped down the river.
After pushing the boat at high speed for about five miles I stopped and collapsed onto the bottom of the boat, breathing heavily.
The other spirits slid to the floor as well.
“I told you.” Vlad said to me.
“What?” I said out of breath.
“You can trust me.”
I laughed and look at the other two spirits.
The air spirit wore a silvery sparkling gown not so unlike my own. Her hair was as white as a dove’s wing and hung straight around her shoulders with a windswept look,
I looked to the side of her and saw the earth spirit. He wore leafy green trousers and a shirt to match. His curly light brown hair was messy and stuck up on the top of his head.
“Salena, meet Toni and Gina.” Vlad said, “Toni, Gina, meet Salena. The last water spirit.”
They stared in awe. I smiled and looked down, a blush creeping up my neck.
“Well, I think it may be time for some sleep.” Vlad said.
“Yes, please.” I said. I laid down on the bow of the boat and listened to the water splash against the boat. I let my hand fall and skim the calm water, I smiled. I was home again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long to update, I was in North Carolina. The view from Grandfather Mountain is gorgeous. 807 words. Enjoy.