Elements

Chapter 8

Salena’s P.O.V.
Another week passed slowly. Suddenly everything was covered in ice. Our horses hesitantly trotted over the unfamiliar glaciers.
Toni looked over the sparkling white with disgust, “Why?” he said in a dramatic tone, “Why must I be put through this torture?”
Gina and I rolled our eyes.
We walked a little further and came upon a true sight.
A vast, frozen lake stretched out before us, and a huge mountain of crystallized rock towered over the icy expanse. We looked around with awe.
Gina hopped off her horse and tenderly ventured toward the lake. She placed a careful foot on the edge of the water and the ice cracked and sunk down.
“Not stable enough to ride on. We’ll have to go around.”
Our horses started a leisurely stroll around the lake. Fierce wind blew over the fragile ice. Soon enough, steady snow began to dance gently to the ground.
We reached the halfway point when a yell shattered the silence. We looked up at the ice mountain and saw figures on the tall ridge. One of them looked to be wearing bright red clothing. I urged my horse forward into a sprint. Toni and Gina ran after, trying to caution me. I pushed forward.
I reached the bottom of the mountain, but the figures were still unclear. I raced up the slope as fast as the steep rocks would allow. I reached the top with the others not far behind.
“Salena?”
I’d recognize that voice anywhere.
“Vlad?” I was astonished. I had never much believed in fate.
After overcoming my surprise I looked around. The metal king.
Maybe fate had nothing to do with it.
He turned around and noticed me, “Ah. Dear Salena. So wonderful you could join us.”
His guards shuffled closer. Vlad stood close to the edge of a cliff that led to the lake below. The metal king and his guards surrounded the opening that was the top of the mountain. Snow drifted softly down and not a sound played outside of our gathering.
“What is this?” I asked. Seeing the two of them made fury cover every cell in my body like slime.
“Nothing, nothing. Just setting the bait.” He said with a cocky smile, “It’s so good to have everyone together again.”
There was a long silence and the tension grew more profound.
The king let out a long sigh and looked to his head guard. The muscular men began to advance on all of us. Our horses reared. I was the first to attack. I used to water to create a swirling wall that I drove into the few guards who were after me. I was about to strike the metal king, when something large was flying over me. I ducked just in time for it to miss, but another was speeding towards my head. I hopped off my horse and gathered my water again. I tried to keep it moving, but the freezing temperature was turning my only liquid water to slush. I started to twist it around him and I spread out the little supply I had and trapped him in a vortex. I looked at the others. Gina was taking the men’s weapons with gusts of wind and Toni was knocking them off their feet. Vlad was trying to fight off many guards that were headed for him. It looked as if everything was going well, but then everything changed. Toni’s strength was failing due to the ice blocking his supply to rocks. He was now struggling to lift his rocks from the ground. The guards had closed in on Gina and she was attempting to fight them off. Vlad was being pushed closer and closer to the edge.
“Enough!”
I looked back to the metal king. He circled his hands and he rose fifty feet into the air on a tower of metal. How exactly he could create metal out of nothing, I had no idea. He stared down at me with disgust.
“Take her down!”
Within moments I was surrounded by guards. My feeble attempts did no good as my water slowly froze.
There was a slam on the back of my head.
I wobbled on the spot. I struggled to keep upward, but I eventually fell. It was black.
*********
My vision slowly came back. I looked around with my fuzzy vision.
Everything seemed to move in slow motion. I saw Gina and Toni desperately fighting.
I looked to my left. The guards closed in on Vlad and he was pushed to the edge of the cliff.
Then, he fell.
I pulled myself to the edge and watched his descent.
I gasped as he crashed through the ice.
Everyone froze.
“Salena!” I heard Gina yell.
I turned my head.
“He won’t last long!” She yelled desperately while trying to keep the guards off of her, “You have to save him!”
I looked hesitantly down.
“Enough with the internal battles, Salena! Get your butt down there before you lose him!”
I gave up and went on impulse. I slid over the edge.
I aimed myself and dove through the same hole that Vlad had made.
I broke through the chilly water.
I saw Vlad sprawled on the bottom of the lake. He glowed like the leftover embers of a flame slowly extinguishing. I used the water and propelled myself forward. I reached him. Unconscious.
I lifted his warm body and began my journey upward.
We broke through the surface and I laid Vlad on the shores of the frozen lake.
He wasn’t responding or breathing.
I looked around not knowing what to do. My brain told me, Hurry!
I tried to get all of the water off of him. Once he was dry, I began doing an ancient healing technique. I placed my hands where his lungs were and channeled power through. My fingers glowed, but he still lay lifeless.
I tried harder.
I placed my hands on his heart and used more and more of my power.
The glow spread up my arms and over my entire body.
I tried until I actually experienced pain.
He started to sputter and he coughed up water. When I realized he was better I got up and walked away.
After he had regained his breathing and composure, he looked to me, “Salena…”
“We’re even now.” I said while facing away from him, “You saved me, now I saved you.” I started to walk away.
“Salena, wait.” He ran forward and grabbed my hand.
I sighed and turned around.
“Don’t go.”
There was a boom from above and chunks of ice fell down on us.
We looked at each other.
“We have to get up there.” I said.
He looked disappointed, “How?”
I shrugged, “I could use the water, but you can’t get wet again.”
We stared up at the cliff.
“Ice.” I heard Vlad say.
“What?”
“Ice. It’s just frozen water. You can use it.”
I shook my head.
“Have you ever tried?”
“Not exactly….”
“Well, now’s your chance.”
I looked nervously at the ice.
I began to try to lift the ice.
It wobbled, but didn’t lift. It seemed harder to control. It even felt heavier.
I pushed harder and eventually lifted a chunk of ice and flung it into the mountain. I looked at Vlad and he smiled with satisfaction. I flung more pieces of ice around. I laughed and played just like a child with a new toy.
“Sorry to interrupt your fun, but Toni and Gina might need our help.”
“Right, yeah.” I said, blushing.
I cracked the ice beneath our feet and we rose into the air. I struggled and we finally reached the top. I let the ice drop.
“Back from the dead, are we?” the king snarled.
Toni and Gina were being held by guards.
“Let them go.”
He chuckled, “You’ll have to be more persuasive than that. Besides, I’m not interested in those two. Only in the last water spirit.”
I glared at him.
“Well, no need to hesitate.” He waved his hand to his guards.
“Salena, end it now.” I heard Vlad whisper.
I mustered up my strength. With a deep breath, I lifted the ice that rested behind the king.
All stared in disbelief.
“That’s impossible. It’s never been done.” The king mumbled.
“Now it has.” I dropped the ice on all of the guards and the king.
“Won’t hold long.” I said, “Let’s get out of here.”
With the king buried, we hopped on our horses.
Vlad stood beside my horse and I looked down at him.
His eyes filled with plea.
I groaned, “I’m a sucker for those eyes. Come on.” I reached out my hand and he hopped on to my horse.
“Thanks.” He smiled at me.
I rolled my eyes, “Oh please. I’m only doing it for Toni. I was tired of listening to him complain.”
He laughed nervously, “Sure, but whatever the reason, I’m glad you did it.”
I smirked and we galloped down the mountain.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. So much drama. School starts in a week, so less updates because I'm in super advanced classes. Hope you enjoyed. :) subscribe & comment!