Something Like Fun

Taking Stations

“Ok, and if it meets the slope like this…” I mumbled, running the pencil along the side of the straight edge. “And the main wall intersects with it here…” I spun the thin slab of metal around, angling it for the next lead pencil mark. With everything in place, I curtly nodded, snatching my pencil up as a bony elbow rudely dug into my back.

“Then, you’ll have the perfect design but I’ll take all the credit as you’ll be dead by the end of the week because while you were in your ‘focused’ working frenzy you forgot to eat,” a light feminine voice taunted in my ear.

I groaned, recognizing the offending voice. “Dell, really now. I’m almost done, then I’ll let you make me lunch,” I bitterly retorted. Normally, I would welcome a break, but now, well, let’s just say I wasn’t afraid of acting like a three year old in order to get my way.

The pressure on my back subsided and Deliah hopped onto the table, partially sitting on my hand-drawn blue print. I scrunched my nose as the paper crinkled under her legs. “Yea, see, that’s what you said two hours ago,” she spoke, eyes glistening with determination.

I squinted, lightly shaking my head, not following her train of thought. “And I meant it then just as I do now.”

Snorting, Deliah gripped the side of the table, her face going hard as her expert eyes picked apart my appearance. “You look like shit, you know?” she declared.

Straight-lipped, I leaned against the table, crossing my arms. And, having convinced myself that I could wait there all day for her to leave, I stared her down. No way was I going to talk now.

She widened her eyes in surprise. “Wow, no clever response,” she breathed. I fought back a blink. Chuckling, she bounced down from her perch and set off jogging across the room.

“Where are you going?” I inquired, startled by her sudden movement.

Deliah glanced at me over her shoulder. Mischief dominated her face as she rang out, “I’m calling in the cavalry.”And not a moment later, she was gone.

‘Cavalry?’ I thought to myself, finally blinking. Flipping the word over numerous times in my head, I pondered every possible meaning and repercussion it could present. Images of horses charging into battle filled my mind as did images of Leo and Mike running towards me with clubs in their hands. I violently shook my head. Maybe I have been at this for too long.

Leaning back against the table once more, I let my eyes sweep across the room before finally settling upon a chair lined up against the wall. Inwardly cheering, I trudged over to the metallic object. It didn’t necessarily look comfortable, but it sure as hell would do the job. Pulling it back to my work station, I collapsed onto it with a sigh of relief, closing my eyes as I rested my head on the cool surface of the prints.

Tick tock tick tock. I lightly smiled at the noise of the clock. Steadying my breathing, I matched it to the resounding rhythm. In. Tick. Tock. Tick. Out. Tock. Tick. Tock. In… The pulsing continued.

“..she’s right down the hall here.”

My breathing caught as a voice overpowered my peaceful soundtrack. Heavy feet smacked down on the wood floor, echoing throughout the level as they came closer. After swelling to a bothersome level, the shuffling quieted. For a moment the silence lay heavily in the space, but then, as swiftly as it came, it shattered as a gentle giggle erupted.

“Shhhhhhh!” a masculine voice whispered, “she’s still asleep.”

Having been reprimanded, the giggling retreated back into its producer where it was held for but a split second before it broke out into the silence once more. The resounding laughs filled the room. Frowning and scrunching my nose, I moaned. There was no way I’d be able to rest now.

“Now, you’ve done it,” the same voice stated as the laughter mercilessly persevered.

I slowly lifted my head from my arms, opening my eyes. Heavy footsteps moved to me as stretched my arms before me. An arm snaked around my torso, cradling me, as a set of lips kissed my cheek.

“Good morning, sweetheart,” the deep voice, dripping with honey, addressed me.

Ville. I smiled as I was now awake enough to register the voice with the owner. I shifted curling into his body.

“What?” he chuckled, holding me to him, “I don’t get a morning kiss too?”

I grinned into his shirt before straightening my neck to kiss the space along the side of his jaw. Smiling, I looked up into his vibrant green eyes.

A satisfactory moan escaped Ville’s lips. “Yeah, that’s more like it,” he nodded, closing the distance between our lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
ok, so, in a hotel room for the night. i'm in between apartments right now: moved out 31st, move in on 12th & have been at boyfriend's for all the time in between<<hence VERY little writing has been able to be done.

also, i've reached a bit of a stalemate as far as inspiration for this story. i truly don't know where to take it anymore. the last chapter , as well as this, have been filler. i'm aware filler is necessary, but it's difficult to be motivated to write when i have no idea where I'm even going.

doesn't help either that i've got this idea for an entirely new story that i REALLY want to write. however, i fear that if i start on that, this will be forgotten & well, it shouldn't be forgotten. --the idea for the other story doesn't mesh with this one at all, so yea...

anyhow, this has gotten to be FAR too long of an author's note, so i'll cut it loose here. if you have suggestions, message me. i'm at the point where i have no other choice but to ask for help--something that I have difficulty doing, it's just in my nature.... ok & now i'm rambling... eck... farethewell good sailor, i have some studying to do