Short Stories

A Hunter's Punishment

Feeling the cold liquid stream down my body, I felt almost calm. The water's force pushes me, trying to over take me; how does it not know who I am? I chuckle at such a thought, who doesn't know me? I countinue bathing after that impossible thought. Playing with the water through my fingertips, I realize how easy Poseidon's job really was, water has to be the easiest to watch over and rule; but how good it feels to enjoy it rather then controling it. I then, again, turn and continue to play with my bath.

As I turn I look upon my home; well its my home outside of home, but; my palace, my kingdon, the forest. I ruled every forest, every hill, every childbirth preformed, virginity, fertility, and my favorite, the hunt. Every child brought out into the forest for their first attempt of the hunt, I watch carefully. I enjoy their failure. I enjoy their unknowing sportsmenship.

Most of my brothers and sisters share the same feeling; resentment. Why does Athena have to be our father's, the all powerful Olympian's favorite? It's not her fault, but still our jealousy runs through us like my vow to not get married. How can anyone not like me? I'm the reason for the meat they eat, the things that make them thrive; without me they wouldn't have the hunt. Why are people so arrogant?

The anger flushed through me as I thought about this, until I heard a rustle in the distance. Naturally I turned to see who it was, but then the anger almost bursting out of control; I calmed myself, for as long as I could. "Come here," I told the simple hunter, "come here." He walked to me with his pack of six dogs trailing behind him, Oh how good this is goin to feel. I pointed at him and with a blink of my eye the anger flushed out of me; oh how fun this is.

In the blink of my eye, the common human before me transformed into a creature, a very nice, gental, pathetic creature, a deer. Oh, I like that name, deer. I watched as his hounds looked for their master, but only found this deer. Oh I love that name. They all did what they were taught to do; they all attacked the deer, viciously. I am Artemis, the goddess of the hunt.