No Need to Retreat

Chapter 1

April 3rd 2008
Kathy's P.O.V

I stood by the masive pool, watching my best friend Payton climb to the top of the diving board. With srawberry-blonde hair and green eyes, she was one of the most beautiful people I knew. And she wasn't stuck up about it.

Today she was wearing her forest green bikini, and she had come to the party with her 3-yr running boyfriend, Kyle. He was the hottest boy at school, and he knew how to take the heat. I was impressed by him, as popular as he was, he was very loyal, kind, and generous. Payton was lucky to have him, and she knew it. His hair was kind of short, and light brown. His eyes were a subtle blue, almost green.

As Payton dived into the water, I looked around. My thirteenth birthday couldn't have been any better. I turned, and saw Kyle walking towards me. "Happy Birthday Kath. Too bad you're all wet." At first I was puzzled as to why he said that, but then he reached up and shoved me into the pool.

I screamed a little, then came to my senses. He stood there laughing, so I splashed him. Then I reached up and pulled him in with me. We both swam to where Payton was, laughing her head off.

Payton's P.O.V

I reached up for the next rung of the ladder. I was climbing up to the diving board. I looked down and saw Kathy staring at me. She knew I had a fear of heights, but she was helping me get over it.

Kathy had light brown hair, a face covered in freckles, and sparkeling blue eyes. Somehow the look flattered her. She was pretty skinny, without many curves, but she looked good. She was single, and not looking, but I knew a lot of guys who secretly liked her. In her sea green one piece, she couldn't have looked happier at her 13th birthday.

I faltered as I reached the edge of the diving board. "You can do it!" I heard Kathy say in my thoughts, and I knew she was right. I dived over the edge into the water.

As I surfaced I saw Kyle sneaking up on Kath. He said something to her, then pushed her in the water. I couldn't help but laugh. Then she splashed him, and pulled him into the pool. I laughed even harder. They both started swimming towards me.