No Need to Retreat

Chapter 2

Kathy's P.O.V

After the party, Payton slept over. We took sleeping bags, and slept out by the pool, we had a rain cover, but we wanted to see the stars. The night was beautiful, and we ended up seeing about 20 shooting stars. I couldn't believe how much fun we'd had during the day.

Around 2:30, I woke up from another nightmare. I had been having them for weeks. In it, my nemesis, Dog-Tag was coming at me with a knife, then, he turned into Payton, who lunged at me and stabbed me in the heart. Seeing as I couldn't sleep, I decided to go for a swim. Since it was so hot, I had slept in my bathing suit. I dived into the deep end, and the cold made my brain come to life. Full of energy, I swam around the pool, thinking about past missions as a spy.

You see, at 13, I was already the world's best secret agent. I had single handedly brought in some of the toughest criminals this world has seen. I have saved countries from genetic experiments by evil scientists, I have tracked down submarine bombs that would have caused terrible tsunamis, and I have brought in thousands of shoplifters. I have been sent on missions that I cannot discuss without having to kill you first. And yes, I do have a liscense to kill.

Payton's P.O.V

We got up and had breakfast at 10:30. We had fresh strawberries, grapes, and cereal with nice cold milk.

As I was eating, I thought about our friendship. Kathy's cover story was that her parents were billionaire architects, but I knew otherwise. I was the only person outside of her immediate family that had been allowed to know the truth. I knew that all of this money came from the countless and dangerous missions that Kathy had been sent on. And I knew how crucial it was that I kept this information classified. Not even Kyle knew.

Of course, Kathy's parents weren't lazy, in fact, they were hard workers. Her mom, Sarah, cleaned the mansion every day, with help from the maids. Her dad, Jack, spent all of his time gardening, growing the strawberries and grapes that we were currently eating. He also had the most beautiful flower garden ever. At that moment, I appreciated how lucky I was to have such a non-snobby rich friend.