No Need to Retreat

Chapter 9

Kathy's P.O.V

A bright light showed overhead, getting bigger and bigger. As my eyes focused, I saw Payton, sitting next to me, still carrying on her conversation with me. She hasn't noticed that I'm awake. She asks me, "So, how are you doing?" She pauses for a moment, as though I would respond, and I do.

"Great, now that I can see you." I say, casually.

"Well, that's nice to--- OMG! YOU'RE AWAKE!!!!!!!!"

"Nice of you to notice, Payton. Now keep it down... My head hurts."
At the sound of her screaming, My parents, her parents, Kyle, and a couple of nurses rush in.

"What's the rush about? Everyone's ok." I say.

"Kathy! You're awake! OMG! I can't believe it!!!" Everyone speaks at the same time, so it was hard to tell who said what. Payton kindly got everyone to shut up because of my headache. Once the nurses took health readings, and got me some food, they left, and my 'family' had some time to talk to me, I immediately asked about Viktor, and Kyle was the one that told me he was still at large. I tryed to get up, but everyone pushed me down, saying that I was in no condition to leave. I got upset, but I stayed put.

Payton's P.O.V

Once Kathy woke up, it was like a little piece of my soul woke up. I was so happy that I pranced around singing. No-one could ruin my day. Kathy and I talked deep into the night about what had happened in the several weeks that she was asleep. Afterwards, we slept in till 3:00 PM had brunch, and took a walk around the hospital. I had to help her until her legs grew stronger, which didn't take very long. But all the time we were worried about Viktor on the loose.

Life was good. Mostly.